• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I run night sights on all of my carry pistols. Some have Trijicon, others Glock stock night sights. They all work well. I have one pistol with XS Big Dots and those are good, but only about half as bright as any of the others.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Odd that the XS are dimmer, as they use Trijicon tubes. Mine are at least as bright as the Meprolight and Glock NS I replaced them with. I know they wont ever be target sights, but I can still put 14 in the CoM at 25 yards with the XS. My goal is to be able to put 10 in at 50 yds, which I consider pretty much the end of defensive range. Pass that mark and I'll opt for a long gun.

Last edited:

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Yes.

I've used Meprolight 3-dot night sights, TruGlo TFO tritium/fiber optic sights, XS Big Dot night sights, and Trijicon HD night sights, and Ameriglo Hack night sights.

I used them in that order as I searched for the best option for my eyes and brain.

What are your thoughts on the Trijicon HD sights? Anybody else have any experience with those?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What are your thoughts on the Trijicon HD sights? Anybody else have any experience with those?

They're the latest sights on my "journey" and I really like them. The front orange ring is big enough and bright enough that it's like a Big Dot, but with a rear sight that allows me better visual alignment than the XS offering.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Thanks everyone for your opinions so far, I love it..

Thanks as well, to those posting pics of the sights theyre talking about. It helps..

Theres alot of people, myself included, who are trying to find ONE sight, that is low or no light capable, but still easy to use in the daytime, and dont want to buy several sets, in order to find the ones they will like the most.

Your experiences are a help to us. I appreciate it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If anyone is interested in trying out the I-Dot Pros, I'd be happy to arrange a time to meet at MCFG. With a little dot of electrical tape, you could try out Hackthorns as well.

opplanet-ameriglo-tritium----sights-set-grn-proglo-w-limelumi-grn-rear-rear-sw-601.jpg

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have always assumed that Glock expected you to change sights. Why else would they put cheap polymer sights on arguably the most indestructible pistol in the world?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have always used Meprolights. Currently, I'm trying out the Ameriglo Hackathorns.

I like Mepros as well. I've got yellow dots on the back and green on the front on a few of my Glocks.

Ameriglo CAP sights on all my glocks

I have these on one of my 23's. I like them, but not sure I like them in really low light. The back sight is not self luminescent (has the yellow line at bottom) and I lose it a bit in the dark with my older eyes that need reading glasses now to make the sights crisp. The front sight is of course bright in low light/dark, and with the blacked out rear sight, they really stand out in daylight also.

I updated my original post with a pic.. Black out all but a horizontal bar on the rear and then paint both sights with a really bright yellow/green fingernail polish. Nothing fancy but it jumps out for me much better than the stock setup and costs almost nothing.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Looks a lot like the Ameriglo CAP sights to me.

gl-600%20series%20lime.jpg

OP if you want to get something relatively cheap in a night sight, GTDist carries these:

GLOCK-NSXXXX_lg.jpg

https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=GLOCK-NSXXXX "Genuine Glock Night Sights" for $57. GT is good to go, I've ordered from them in the past.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im not looking for "cheap" sights. Just looking for everyones opinion on different sights, so its easier to make an informed decision. I have considered meprolight adjustable for 130, the glock factory night sights, and the TFO's. Ive also considered just leaving the stock sights, which I have NO issues with in daylight, and evening shooting, and getting a crimson trace setup for night. I still like the idea of TFO's though.

I must confess, I do not see the benefit of the 2 dot, or dot and line, sight arrangements, over a good 3 dot setup, but then again, I thought the stock glock setup was weird, but it works well for me.

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Speed. Both speed on target and faster follow-ups/transitions. It's less for your eyes to process.

Yep. Everyone has their own preference, but I find that when I bring my weapon to a firing position the rear sight isn't that important. As long as I can see the front sight and place it on the target I'm good for defensive distances. It helps that for some reason Glocks point very naturally for me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    They're the latest sights on my "journey" and I really like them. The front orange ring is big enough and bright enough that it's like a Big Dot, but with a rear sight that allows me better visual alignment than the XS offering.

Do you like them more than the Ameriglo Hackathorns?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Do you like them more than the Ameriglo Hackathorns?

They're *almost* the same thing. ;)

The Ameriglo Hackathorns are a Trijicon HD front sight with a blank serrated rear sight. When I was answering the question above I was referring to the Trijicon HD front sight.

If you buy the actual Trijicon HD Night Sight package, the difference is that the rear sight has small tritium viles also. I use the Hacks on my personal M&P and the actual Trijicon HDs on my borrowed M&P, and I personally prefer the blacked out rear sight with the Hacks. Bonus is that such a setup is less expensive.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I have a XS sight on revolver. It is night sight and its big to see. If i were plinking during the day and shooting say 25-50 yds, the big XS dot covers up 6-8" of target. But for evening/night close up shooting the big XS dot stands out and i feel that i can line up dot on target at 7 yds. I know you were asking about glocks and I think this goes along with other post about using front sight mostly for fast target acq. I was looking into night sights for glock 21 but I dont know if I would ever use it as a daily carry weapon. If I were an amazing shooter, I would use a 22 with heine slant night sights since the first shot is the most important. Many police officers/military police have stated that they do not remember getting a good sight picture upon needing to use their weapon in CQ situations.
    Most glocks seem to have the 3 dots or blade and back slot. To me the 3 dots are the ones I practice during the day. So maybe that would be more natural for using nightsights that have 3 dots that light up?
    Good Luck, I will keep reading what others have to say.
    Haz

Last edited:

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I shot the I-Dot Pro setup on a g20 and liked them pretty well, my only concern was I found myself confusing the two dots, thus leading to the choice of the XS line and dot configuration. I wanted to try the Ameriglo CAP setup too, but couldn't find anyone who had them at the time and that ship has since sailed. I will say that the Glock NS wasn't bad, in fact it was good. I could not be happier with them for the intended purpose.

I'm eyeballing a G22 for use as a range/target (maybe USPSA Production/IDPA SSP? - I haven't really shot competition before other than informal, guys at the range type stuff) gun, and am undecided on what sights I will use once I finally plop down the cash for the gun. What do you guys think is a more accurate set up, three-dot (likely the Meprolight, or Glock NS take-offs from installing the XS') or the blacked out rear style(s) similar to the Hackthorn offering? I see the TruGlo that pdg45acp has installed and want to like them. I haven't shot with them, but the different color combo just strikes some weird inner chord that nags at me... I digress. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    TruGlo TFO Tritium green front and rear. I have them on all my Glocks as well as my 40 Shield. Love them at night, low light, and outdoors. I won't buy anything else.

Edit: I wear glasses and 50 yrs old the eyes left about the same time as the hair. :cool:

jhaynes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I like the large white outline of the glock rear sights but not the fact that they are plastic (in case I need to rack the slide on something). I replaced the rear sights on all of my glocks with the same sight in steel. They are available on line. I replaced the front sights with Trijicon night sights. I figure if I have to shoot in the dark it will be close range and I don't need to spend time trying to line up sights. Just put the dot on the target and shoot. The large white outline on the rear sight makes target shooting in the daylight alot easier.

Top Bottom