• ...and so much more!
  • onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    IUPUI on Lockdown.

a woman downtown say's she saw a man with a long coat and a long gun walking on campus.
    cops called. looking for whomever it was.
    the wife works down there and she is on lockdown.
    they(management) will not till them anything else other than, stay where you are.
    if i learn more i will pass it along.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Vic, what are they talking about with some guy's father being in Florida? I took a bathroom break ad came back to that?

nicktw25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm listening to the Hendricks county police. As of right now they're searching for a man. Not sure if it's a student or not. But IUPUI police has contacted Hendricks county police to search a couple of different addresses. One address was the mans home and the other was the mans mom's house. They checked the man's home and no one was home. They're now enroute to the mothers house.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    My friend is in lock down in the student center and just called me about it. I asked him what they'd do if he got up and demanded to leave. His response was "They locked the doors from the outside, I can't go anywhere." Told him he should still just go up there and tell them you're leaving, and what can they really do about it? They have no legal ground to hold him there.

Is it just me or does it seem to be counter-productive to lock students INSIDE a room with a lock on the OUTSIDE of the door to a potential gunman also on the OUTSIDE of the door? :dunno:

I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting there with no defense, but I wouldn't feel great walking around while a supposed long gun has been spotted.

Agree on count 1 but disagree on count 2.

I'd much rather have the advantage to get the heck away or react in my defense as I see fit. Besides a long gun is spotted soewhere almost every day. There is nothing illegal about walking around with one. The problem occurs when someone actually uses it to commit a crime. Sometimes living in a free society is a little scary.

Is this 100% true? Can you elaborate? Campus is ok, but INSIDE the school is what would be illegal right?

No.

It is not illegal to carry a firearm inside a college building. In regard to the law, a college (campus or classroom) is no different than a grocery store where carrying firearms is concerned.

The only restriction on the carry of firearms on college grounds is the policy of the college. Which, again, is exactly the same as any restriction on carrying on the premises of a grocery store is the policy of the grocery store owner. They can both prohibit the carrying of firearms BUT that doesn't make it ILLEGAL, only against policy. BIG difference.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My friend is in lock down in the student center and just called me about it. I asked him what they'd do if he got up and demanded to leave. His response was "They locked the doors from the outside, I can't go anywhere." Told him he should still just go up there and tell them you're leaving, and what can they really do about it? They have no legal ground to hold him there.

If that were true, someone would be a candidate for a really unpleasant meeting with the fire marshal.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    ^^^^ YES. it is not criminal until you refuse to leave.

This is not ABSOLUTELY correct.

The posting (if there was, in fact, a sign) COULD potentially be written to be construed as a denial of entry. In that case they COULD charge you with trespass without any further (or even initial) contact. It's likely a long shot but it COULD happen.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Colleges/universities are not "schools". it is not illegal it is just against their rules. If you are a student they can expel you. But if you are just some guy walking on campus property they can only ask you to leave and then charge with trespass if you refuse.

Standard caveats apply IANAL.

First caveat that comes to my mind is that most of them seem to think they own the streets and sidewalks.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012

The posting (if there was, in fact, a sign) COULD potentially be written to be construed as a denial of entry. In that case they COULD charge you with trespass without any further (or even initial) contact. It's likely a long shot but it COULD happen.

This is correct. Signs can be interpreted as being denied access if you can prove an individual was aware of those signs and entered anyway.

What is this about them visiting possible addresses for the "suspect?" I think that's taking it a little too far when nothing illegal took place...

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

there are rules that define how the signs have to be posted and if it is not correct then they don't have any weight behind. don't ask how I know :xmad:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    there are rules that define how the signs have to be posted and if it is not correct then they don't have any weight behind. don't ask how I know :xmad:

How do you know? :D

edit:
    Here is the statute:
    (b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of
    this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
    (1) personal communication, oral or written;
    (2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a
    manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the
    attention of the public;

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    How do you know? :D

had a guy hunting in my tree stand on my family property. Had no hunting/trespassing signs on the entire property's edges. family called to report the trespasser, they came out took the person's info and told him to never comeback. They measured the distance between the signs and said that they were too far apart to hold up in a court of law. But, if the person comes back that then they can press charges.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    had a guy hunting in my tree stand on my family property. Had no hunting/trespassing signs on the entire property's edges. family called to report the trespasser, they came out took the person's info and told him to never comeback. They measured the distance between the signs and said that they were too far apart to hold up in a court of law. But, if the person comes back that then they can press charges.

So, what is the minimum distance? I get that they must be 'likely to come to the
    attention of the public", but that part of the IC doesn't have any units defined.

Top Bottom