US appeals court panel: Law against faking receipt of military medals is unconstituti

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Why would someone want to lie about receiving a military medal?

What ever happened to shunning people? That seemed like a neat idea to punish jerks and idiots.

While I don't believe this sort of this should be punishable at all, my creativity cap is on and it would be interesting to make the people who lied about earning the medal actually go through what it took to earn the medal...but once again, in reality, what is the harm of some jackass telling you he earned a medal he didn't actually earn? Would you really hire someone for a job, based solely on the fact that they earned a specific medal?

If you're hiring someone based on their military service and the details of that service are important to you, all you must do is ask to see their DD214. Simple as that.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Do I have to list all exceptions to make my point?

No, you don't have to list any exceptions at all. The point is that the legislative and executive branches have taken the effort to define these exceptions. They have already agreed that this case was in the category of criminal. It was the Ninth Circuit court that said that the other two branches don't have the right to enact laws defining certain lies/fraud as extreme enough to warrant criminal prosecution. It was the Ninth Circuit that said that impersonating a decorated soldier is less protected than impersonating a police officer.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It was the Ninth Circuit that said that impersonating a decorated soldier is less protected than impersonating a police officer.

Less protected? The people that these laws are supposedly protecting are the citizens... Protecting from dishonest people might try to misuse authority of the law.

A medal does not represent authority. A badge does. Nobody gets nervous that they will be tased and arrested when they see a decorated vet walking around.

This "impersonating a police officer" law isn't to protect police officers from being offended by the impostor. It exists to protect people's rights from being violated by a false authority figure.

Your pride is not protected by law. Nor should it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So you agree that it is legal and constitutional to have some laws penalizing some egregious lies, just noy all lies.

Nope, the results of those lies yes. ie Lying about being a LEO is okay, doing so to cause someone else to do what they don't want to no. Or I don't think it is legal or constitutional to make someone get a license to carry a handgun, but it is to punish what you do with them.

Dross put it better above.

Do I have to list all exceptions to make my point?

Wearing medals you didn't earn makes you a scumbag. A law isn't the fix for every problem.

No, I understood what you meant. But others may not have.
    And I agree with the last line quoted.

I think 40-year-old women who claim they are 30 should be arrested. Also when they lie about being employed, being married and having kids. And STDs.

Officers! There she is! She's the one who lied to me! Off to the Thought Prison with her! Bwahaha

The STDs I agree, that is assault with a biological weapon.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Threads like this are why we almost never elect real libertarians in this country, and why the LP has no chance of major electoral success.

Almost everyone says they believe in liberty and constitutional rights. When you're talking generalities, or when you're talking about a right you want to exercise, then liberties are great.

But just about everyone who professes to believe in liberty above all else has some sore spot where they really demand authoritarian government. Whether it is building a mosque in a location that upsets you, or someone telling a lie that offends your sense of honor, or whatever... most everyone has that one hot-button issue where they want the State to protect their sensibilities.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Threads like this are why we almost never elect real libertarians in this country, and why the LP has no chance of major electoral success.

Almost everyone says they believe in liberty and constitutional rights. When you're talking generalities, or when you're talking about a right you want to exercise, then liberties are great.

But just about everyone who professes to believe in liberty above all else has some sore spot where they really demand authoritarian government. Whether it is building a mosque in a location that upsets you, or someone telling a lie that offends your sense of honor, or whatever... most everyone has that one hot-button issue where they want the State to protect their sensibilities.

There is a lot of truth in your statement. I have voted for several Libertarians over the years when I was faced with a situation where the Republican was not conservative enough for my taste. You folks have convinced me to never do so again.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

There is a lot of truth in your statement. I have voted for several Libertarians over the years when I was faced with a situation where the Republican was not conservative enough for my taste. You folks have convinced me to never do so again.

LOL really? Libertarians refuse to criminalize bragging, so you will never vote libertarian again? L:n00b:L!!!!!!!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    LOL really? Libertarians refuse to criminalize bragging, so you will never vote libertarian again? L:n00b:L!!!!!!!

I know the achilles heel of the libertarian philosophy. Ask them if there should be a law against STUPID, and watch them hesitate.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Phrase however makes you feel good. They come across as having no regard for the valor of our men and women in uniform. They apparently want child molesters to have one free bite at the apple. It isn't just this one thread or even 2 or 3. It is also the way they arrive in a pack to a thread and mount a campaign to shout down any differing opinions with all sorts of hyperbole.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Phrase however makes you feel good. They come across as having no regard for the valor of our men and women in uniform. They apparently want child molesters to have one free bite at the apple. It isn't just this one thread or even 2 or 3. It is also the way they arrive in a pack to a thread and mount a campaign to shout down any differing opinions with all sorts of hyperbole.

You've pegged me right on with that one. No regard for the valor of our men and women in uniform. Got me there.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    People who oppose the Hate Crimes law come across as having no regard for minorities.

Please stop disregarding valor, letting child molesters bite apples, forming packs, and shouting down differing opinions. Have you no shame?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Personally I think there are already entirely too many Laws on the books that should be stricken. Adding a Law making it illegal to impersonate a Military Member or to Falsely Wear Military Awards or Decorations would just be one more Law that should have never been. Honestly how likely is it to be enforced?!

If you are that concerned with the Valor and Honor of our Service Members allow us the privilege to remove the stain from our own Valor and Honor. Legalize dueling if you are that concerned with my Honor…

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It is also the way they arrive in a pack to a thread and mount a campaign to shout down any differing opinions with all sorts of hyperbole.

I wasn't shouting anyone down, or making any kind of hyperbole.

The real test of whether you believe in liberty is whether you will defend the liberties of someone who is exercising them in a way that you find offensive. Saying "I support the liberties of those who never offend my sensibilities" is the same as saying "I don't support liberties at all."

They come across as having no regard for the valor of our men and women in uniform.

I agree there are many people in the US - most, perhaps - who do not understand the difference between endorsing someone's speech and respecting their right to speak it. It is quite possible to disagree with the content or intent of someone's speech, and yet still acknowledge that they have the right to that speech. It is unfortunate - and dangerous to our freedoms - that so many people cannot understand this distinction.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

You've pegged me right on with that one. No regard for the valor of our men and women in uniform. Got me there.

I believe he was referring to either myself or people who think closely as I do in regards to our military.

I don't like it when people in the current military try to tell me THEY are keep me free. And I've been very vocal about that statement on INGO, in several threads. I like our military and I like our guys in our military, but I still am not convinced that they are keeping me free, mostly because I don't believe I'm actually free. I know I'm nearly alone in this thought on this forum, but I'm not here to try to be popular, I'm just here to offer my opinion. I won't go into any more details in this thread, because this thread has nothing to do with our military.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I won't go into any more details in this thread, because this thread has nothing to do with our military.

This thread obsolutely has something to do with the military. People are stealing valor from our military. Please feel free not to go into any more details, your views will not help hear.:D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I believe he was referring to either myself or people who think closely as I do in regards to our military.

I don't like it when people in the current military try to tell me THEY are keep me free. And I've been very vocal about that statement on INGO, in several threads. I like our military and I like our guys in our military, but I still am not convinced that they are keeping me free, mostly because I don't believe I'm actually free. I know I'm nearly alone in this thought on this forum, but I'm not here to try to be popular, I'm just here to offer my opinion. I won't go into any more details in this thread, because this thread has nothing to do with our military.

LOL!

Lash you will never here me tell you that lie. If I was truly keeping Americans free the Military would be buying in bulk Tar, Feathers, and passage on rails for the esteemed Gentlemen and Ladies of Our Capital...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    LOL!

Lash you will never here me tell you that lie. If I was truly keeping Americans free the Military would be buying in bulk Tar, Feathers, and passage on rails for the esteemed Gentlemen and Ladies of Our Capital...

:laugh::laugh::laugh: SO TRUE MY BROTHER!!!

I also agree that the poser problem should be handled internaly, with no additional charge to tax payers :rockwoot:

Top Bottom