Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Wuss! Seriously, I agree but I just gotta hope that something so fundamental as a 60 yo firearm will work well in the first gen.

Link: PSAK-47 MOE Edition

Have they released the street price yet?

You would think so, but so many American companies have put out such serious turds :laugh:. That said, I think the PSA will be good to go and the specs look nice. Rumor is the price on the Magpul version is $750.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    You would think so, but so many American companies have put out such serious turds :laugh:. That said, I think the PSA will be good to go and the specs look nice. Rumor is the price on the Magpul version is $750.

Yeah the PSA AKs were in stock for a very short time at $749.99 + shipping to central Indiana was $21 and my local $20 FFL fee puts it around $790. Think I'll just stick with my wasr. Nothing impressive about the PSA AK and it doesn't come with a side optics mount or cleaning rod. Thought this would be a rifle I'd just have to have but I'm not impressed.

Edit: back in stock if somebody wants to be their guinea pig...
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-ak47-moe.html

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Reading the DDI reviews on ClassicFA, sounds like it's hit or miss depending on the parts kit used. So some of it is made in the States, and the rest is imported?

That Tula SKS is sounding better...

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    How does the milled receiver compared with a stamped RPK 1.5 mm receiver? I had a VEPR once with the heavier lower, and it was fun to shoot! (Now, why did I sell that again?)

Depends on the platform. The milled RPD receivers only seem to last half that of the stamped AK receivers. Also, Henderson Defense (Battlefield: Las Vegas) has yet to shoot out a WASR barrel. The trunions crack somewhere between 80,000-100,000 rounds but they simply replace them and keep using the same barrel. I found that to be astounding. During that time they also have to replace the bolt to keep the proper headspacing.

AK abuse (home-built version update on Page 6) - AR15.COM

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Got the VEPR, and now for the nuts and bolts. Fortunately it had a threaded muzzle with a pinned nut. Dremelled it out with a cutting wheel.

However, the detent pin is jammed. Tried to drive out the front pin on the front sight group, but that's very tight as well. All my banging on the pin did not release the detent. I hate to wail away on the pins

Project 2, replace VEPR trigger with Tapco G2. Unfortunately Tapco doesn't include a disconnector spring, and the VEPR trigger has an internal sheath that holds the assembly together. It's like a roll pin, but flimsier. Didn't want to crush it removing it, so have to order extra spring. At least Molot didn't use a shepherd's crook to retain the pins.

That's on hold now.

Project 3, put in decent sling swivels. Unfortunately the factory swivels are junky. With the rear you can simply drill out the existing hole to fit a standard swivel mount. The front screw, however, is in an unusual thread pitch, and attaches the handguard to the barrel. So one can either retap the hole for a standard machine nut swivel or drill an entirely new hole for the swivel, and leave the existing nut in place to hold the guard to the barrel.

That too is on hold.

So, aside from buying pricey aftermarket furniture, has anyone slain the VEPR beast? I thought most of this would be relatively easy, but not so. (I have a Zastava also, which is much more friendly to tinkering.)

It also doesn't help that this is the slant-back receiver, which won't accept standard AK buttstocks.

:(

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Yes. Mine is a 54R 02 with a square back receiver, but you can get the adapters for the slant back. This is an Arsenal NATO length stock, but now the rifle has a Magpul Zhukav folding stock on it. I knocked off the muzzle cap and added a Nodak Tabuk device. The original FCG has been replaced with a modified Tapco G2 (easy DYI mod). The scope is a POSP.

attachment.php

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Not an AK, but I have a Century VZ2008, and its a great little shooter, and looks pretty good as well. I dont know personally if Century's AK's are the same quality, Ive heard good and bad, but if so, I'd say do it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Yes. Mine is a 54R 02 with a square back receiver, but you can get the adapters for the slant back. This is an Arsenal NATO length stock, but now the rifle has a Magpul Zhukav folding stock on it. I knocked off the muzzle cap and added a Nodak Tabuk device. The original FCG has been replaced with a modified Tapco G2 (easy DYI mod). The scope is a POSP.

attachment.php

Nice looking set up!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Detent plunger pins do that on occasion. You might try soaking it in oil, point it muzzle down, and giving the sight a wack. If you can't get it, drifting out the front sight pin may ne in order. I've had them before where the notch for the pin is just a bit too small, and friction holds it in place.

As far as a trigger, you might want to hold off for an ALG Defense. Should be a much nicer alternative to the Tapco.

And for your sling, I would just go with a Blue Force Gear adapter.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    While the receiver/barrel are great, the furniture is meh! Too bad. Another $100 and use quality parts, or at least make upgradable.

Just had it out to shoot. Front sight post defeated my UTG tool. This thing is indeed a beast.

Top Bottom