• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im sure they were hoping to get it under control before it took the whole building. I doubt they expected this result. I think this is the first warehouse fire of its type around here.

Though Now I wonder what changes are coming due to this fire? Requirement for more water on site? More aggressive fire suppression equipment? Because obviously the sprinklers didnt help. (beyond slowing it enough at first to get everyone out)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Im sure they were hoping to get it under control before it took the whole building. I doubt they expected this result. I think this is the first warehouse fire of its type around here.

Though Now I wonder what changes are coming due to this fire? Requirement for more water on site? More aggressive fire suppression equipment? Because obviously the sprinklers didnt help. (beyond slowing it enough at first to get everyone out)
    I suspect, in that type of building, fire suppression is primarily, if not exclusively, intended to allow for personnel egress.

Protection of goods/equipment would likely entail a foam suppression system, or even an inert gas/CO2 system.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I suspect, in that type of building, fire suppression is primarily, if not exclusively, intended to allow for personnel egress.

Protection of goods/equipment would likely entail a foam suppression system, or even an inert gas/CO2 system.
    Too big for a gas/clean agent system. Those are only good for small-ish spaces.

I need to ask my buddies at work to calculate how much gas would be required for a million square feet of 3 story warehouse. The sheer size would be humorous. (thats roughly 30 million cubic feet of space in that warehouse)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Protection of goods? Low value goods that likely would cost more to ship and stock in store to sell as “damaged” clearance items.

Protection of equipment? They are not manufacturing so probably no expensive machinery. Lots of shelving, conveyors, forklifts all relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. Any electronics like computers, hand held scanners, etc. that might survive the fire would be destroyed by the fire suppression method.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Update

Watched the press conference they had.

I did not realize that ATF was tasked with investigating arson. I wonder if they have strong suspicions that this was arson.

If I understand this correctly, they said the fire suppression system where the fire started was turned off. Big screw up or intentional....I guess we will see.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

I did not realize that ATF was tasked with investigating arson. I wonder if they have strong suspicions that this was arson.

If I understand this correctly, they said the fire suppression system where the fire started was turned off. Big screw up or intentional....I guess we will see.

Alcohol, tobacco, and fires?

Who the hell gave the ATF the power to investigate arsons? We have so many 3 letter agencies, and the ATF is tasked with arson?

Don’t get me wrong, if they’re busy investigating this then they’re not ****ing with us, but the point is giving them power and expanding their duties is only going to result in a bigger more restrictive agency. See: FBI

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I spoke with the spouse of a firefighter today that was in there fighting it, and who had a hand in the fire inspections during construction phase. Expect some serious questions to be asked in the coming months. Hopefully resulting in safer warehouses as we move forward. (but warehousers wont be happy)

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good question, here’s the answer… learn something new every day.

Congress continued to provide ATF with additional tools for arson prosecution. In 1982, the Anti-Arson Act amended the explosives laws, specifically criminalizing the use of fire to commit any federal felony. The Act made it unlawful to damage or destroy, by fire, any property used in activities affecting interstate commerce.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Interesting. 1982, and this is the first I’ve noticed them being involved in an arson investigation. Might’ve seen it before but it sure didn’t stand out if I have.

I’m assuming they’re done investigating and have charged people from all those riot fires set then.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Interesting. 1982, and this is the first I’ve noticed them being involved in an arson investigation. Might’ve seen it before but it sure didn’t stand out if I have.

I’m assuming they’re done investigating and have charged people from all those riot fires set then.
    They didn't "cross state lines!!!" :nailbite:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

This s*** really needs cut way back! "any property used in activities affecting interstate commerce", really!?

Way to much central state.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

From this article it was intentional.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Having friends on the inside, I'll caution the armchair quarterbacks.

In many of the stories I'm reading, the full story isnt being told. In this case, notice they didnt say WHY the system was turned off. Red flag.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Having friends on the inside, I'll caution the armchair quarterbacks.

In many of the stories I'm reading, the full story isnt being told. In this case, notice they didnt say WHY the system was turned off. Red flag.
    No armchair quarterbacking. The chief said he'd explain more later. Although I could see valid reasons for doing so. Including that where the fire started was fully engulfed so they killed the sprinklers there to divert more water elsewhere in an attempt to contain the spread. I'm not saying that is why they did it, but it seems logical to me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No armchair quarterbacking. The chief said he'd explain more later. Although I could see valid reasons for doing so. Including that where the fire started was fully engulfed so they killed the sprinklers there to divert more water elsewhere in an attempt to contain the spread. I'm not saying that is why they did it, but it seems logical to me.
    Just in general to all. Sorry, not pointing directly at you.

And what we didnt see on the news were the guys INSIDE. Literally. They werent just standing outside throwing water on it from above. They had lines inside too. And I guess it got pretty hairy a couple times.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just in general to all. Sorry, not pointing directly at you.

And what we didnt see on the news were the guys INSIDE. Literally. They werent just standing outside throwing water on it from above. They had lines inside too. And I guess it got pretty hairy a couple times.
    Agreed, and absolutely no offense taken.

Top Bottom