• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Ok I have seen an ever increasing use of the term "runs" in the firearms and especially firearms forums world when describing the functionality of a non full auto firearm. Lol. Unless a weapon is full auto it does not "run", it fires, shoots, functions, operates, cycles,goes bang one time with each pull of the trigger. "Run" refers to operating over and over in rapid sequence like a machine ( ie machine gun) and quicker than can be accomplished by human hands with the flip on a switch one time and until the raw materials are exhausted. I guess I overstated that it annoyed me. I should say I find it a tad misleading for lack of a better term. :twocents: :D

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    im-not-saying-youre-wrong-but-yourre-wrong.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I disagree. My firearms all work reliably. whether i have to pull the trigger once, or 30 times the function of the gun is still the same. They both operate successfully over a multitude of repititions. they all "run" regardless of their method of operation.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    "Run" refers to operating over and over in rapid sequence like a machine ( ie machine gun) and quicker than can be accomplished by human hands.
    If I pull the trigger on a semi-auto, the gun cycles quicker than can be accomplished by human hands. It "runs" through each cycle, right?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the dangers of eating bad seafood. As far as guns go, I would think anything that has moving parts that operates in the manner designed would be considered to be running correctly.

Any INGOers here English professors? Maybe we could get a professional answer on the subject?

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I knew this would get y'all goin. Haha 1. As to the semi auto, yes it does work faster than human hands but you have repeatedly pull the trigger. So in essence it can only fire as fast as you can pull it. Full auto you pull the trigger once and hold it essentially turning on the machine. IMHO. 2. The guy in that pic above thinks that aliens transplanted us onto Earth and visit us regularly., enough said and 3. I am definitely Not tacticool, a mall ninja, a zombie killer, or Internet Commando :)

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    A semi auto handgun or rifle is still a machine, its has parts that move in order for it to function the way it was designed so therefore it runs.

A punch press is a machine and most do not cycle without a button being pressed for them to operate, so they do not run either?

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    A semi auto handgun or rifle is still a machine, its has parts that move in order for it to function the way it was designed so therefore it runs.

A punch press is a machine and most do not cycle without a button being pressed for them to operate, so they do not run either?

No actually they don't. As you so aptly put they cycle one time with each press on the button( trigger). Another great example of semi automatic operation. :D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    No actually they don't. As you so aptly put they cycle one time with each press on the button( trigger). Another great example of semi automatic operation. :D

Of the things you have read on this forum the one that annoys you enough to start a pointless thread is the use of run when talking about a gun functioning? :rolleyes: If anything this is break room material lol.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

Can you not say that something "runs" through a cycle, even if it is just one cycle? It was stated earlier. Once I pull the trigger on a semi auto, that course of action forces a sequence of events to take place in order for my rifle to "run" through one complete cycle. So if I pull the trigger several times has my machine not "run" through multiple cycles? Should we be using "ran" insinuating the cycle after each trigger pull?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I knew this would get y'all goin. Haha 1. As to the semi auto, yes it does work faster than human hands but you have repeatedly pull the trigger. So in essence it can only fire as fast as you can pull it. Full auto you pull the trigger once and hold it essentially turning on the machine.

Hmmm, but a semi-auto runs through a sequence of operations once triggered.

Is it not "running" during that sequence?

Does an MP5 with a 5-round burst position not "run?"

Perhaps your quibble is more with the length of time it takes for something to run through its sequence?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I went running the other day.

No, wait... I must have been cycling as I was simply moving my legs one rapid step at a time.

I guess if I had been cycling, that might be considered running.

No, wait...

:dunno:

At least I was running my new sunglasses that day. :cool:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Hmmm, but a semi-auto runs through a sequence of operations once triggered.

Is it not "running" during that sequence?

Does an MP5 with a 5-round burst position not "run?"

Perhaps your quibble is more with the length of time it takes for something to run through its sequence?

Good point however I think it's more a question of how many times the "machine" cycles with each pull of the trigger. 1 cycle per pull = a cycle. More than one cycle per pull or a sequence of cycles would equal running. IMHO

Also original post edited to better reflect the point I was trying to make.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I went running the other day.

No, wait... I must have been cycling as I was simply moving my legs one rapid step at a time.

I guess if I had been cycling, that might be considered running.

No, wait...

:dunno:

At least I was running my new sunglasses that day. :cool:

LMAO. Nice. Its the languages fault I guess!!! :D

Top Bottom