• ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I went running the other day.

No, wait... I must have been cycling as I was simply moving my legs one rapid step at a time.

I guess if I had been cycling, that might be considered running.

No, wait...

:dunno:

At least I was running my new sunglasses that day. :cool:

got to burn those calories to make room for more BACON!!!!:D

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    ok lets be serious about this people Websters say's Runs - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

a : an act or the action of running : continued rapid movement b : a quickened gallop c : a migration of fish (as up or down a river) especially to spawn; also : such fish in the process of migration d : a running race <a mile run> e : a score made in baseball by a runner reaching home plate safely f : strength or ability to run g : a gain of a usually specified distance made on a running play in football <scored on a 25-yard run>; also : a running play h : a sustained usually aggressive effort (as to win or obtain something) <making a run at the championship>
    a chiefly Midland : creek 2 b : something that flows in the course of an operation or during a particular time <the first run of sap in sugar maples>

a : the stern of the underwater body of a ship from where it begins to curve or slope upward and inward b : the direction in which a vein of ore lies c : a direction of secondary or minor cleavage : grain <the run of a mass of granite> d : a horizontal distance (as that covered by a flight of steps) e : general tendency or direction

: a continuous period or series especially of things of identical or similar sort <a run of bad luck>: as a : a rapid passage up or down a scale in vocal or instrumental music b : a number of rapid small dance steps executed in even tempo c : the act of making successively a number of successful shots or strokes; also : the score thus made <a run of 20 in billiards> d : an unbroken course of performances or showings <a long run on Broadway> e : a set of consecutive measurements, readings, or observations f : persistent and heavy demands from depositors, creditors, or customers <a run on a bank> g : sequence 2b

: the quantity of work turned out in a continuous operation <a press run of 10,000 copies>

: the usual or normal kind, character, type, or group <the average run of students>

a : the distance covered in a period of continuous traveling or sailing b : a course or trip especially if mapped out and traveled with regularity c : a news reporter's regular territory : beat d : freedom of movement in or access to a place or area <has the run of the house>

a : the period during which a machine or plant is in continuous operation b : the use of machinery for a single set of processing procedures <a computer run>

a : a way, track, or path frequented by animals b : an enclosure for domestic animals where they may feed or exercise c Australian (1) : a large area of land used for grazing <a sheep run> (2) : ranch, station <run-holder> d : an inclined passageway

a : an inclined course (as for skiing or bobsledding) b : a support (as a track, pipe, or trough) on which something runs

a : a ravel in a knitted fabric (as in hosiery) caused by the breaking of stitches b : a paint defect caused by excessive flow

plural but sing or plural in constr : diarrhea —used with the

run·less adjective
    on the run 1
    : in haste : without pausing <ate lunch on the run>

: in retreat : in flight (as from the law) <an escaped convict on the run>

and with this the INGO word of the day is "runs"

Thanks for playing.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    "Runs" defined

White-Castle-Hamburgers-AT-HOME.jpg

20110524-whitecastle-baconsliders-ad.jpg

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    If you redefine "run" to mean "performing multiple cycles for a given manual operation" then you are correct. That is inconsistent with common usage of the word, however.

Does a Gatling gun run, even though it is all driven by manual intervention?

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I understand the OP's point and I largely agree. I won't try to define "runs" rather I would point out that to me it just sounds "wrong" to use in the context of guns. To me "runs" would be for cars/engines etc. The better terms for guns would be:

cycles
    feeds
    shoots
    fires
    operates
    functions

Any of the above would be preferable to runs.

Another observation - using "runs" to describe handgun functioning seems to be a rather "new" thing to me. I was pretty active on gun forums like The High Road and The Firing Line about 8-10 years ago and I never once seen it used like that. And I read a TON of threads. Then I kinda got out of guns for a few years and just returned to the "gun world" this year. So it seems "runs" in reference to pistol might just be a younger generation thing? I dunno.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I would typically use 'functions' or 'cycles' myself, I think. I don't find the term 'runs' at all offensive though.

I don't really find it offensive, just seems like its been brought over from the Class 3 world by the various aforementioned mall ninjas, Operators, Tacticool personnel, etc to try to sound cool. IMHO

AND TY WebHobbit...for the kind words...

Top Bottom