• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    yup. good lighting helps. I usually tip them towards me a bit.
    I'm a lot slower loading rifle, 1 because have to give the powder a little more time to flow and 2 to check in the case... I maybe only do 250/hr.

-rvb

Thanks again, as always sir! Saved me money, time and trouble.

I've never used a powder check for handgun cartridges, visually checking each one. I'm new to loading rifle cartridges, so far only on single stage presses. I'm looking to get a lot more into production style loading on the 650 this year for .223 and 300BLK.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks again, as always sir! Saved me money, time and trouble.

I've never used a powder check for handgun cartridges, visually checking each one. I'm new to loading rifle cartridges, so far only on single stage presses. I'm looking to get a lot more into production style loading on the 650 this year for .223 and 300BLK.

no problem!
    yea, go slow w/ rifle. I take about 2 seconds on the down stroke and 2 on the upstroke. even with a great metering powder like H335 I found that made a tremendous difference in metering consistency... and if you go too fast, powder can still be coming through the funnel as you bring the ram down, and you end up with more of a mess. and if you index the shellplate too fast, the cartridges bobble and sometimes can splash powder. so when going slower in that manner, peaking in doesn't add that much time. I usually add yet another light to try to shine down, sometimes even just keeping a flashlight on to grab.

-rvb

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have a 550 and a 650 along with the single stage RCBS. I have had my 550 for over 30 years and it has been a great press. The 650 is great for running large quantities of ammo but I can still crank out 500+ rounds an hour on the 550. There is one in the classifieds he is a stand up guy. You can't go wrong with Bobcat either. I just got one from them for my daughters Christmas. I think the 550 will serve you better than the Square Deal IMO

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    This thread is a huge help. Been looking at square deal, but the 550 was always on my mind after reading all replies the 550 is where I am going now. Thanks guys.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    yea, go slow w/ rifle. I take about 2 seconds on the down stroke and 2 on the upstroke. even with a great metering powder like H335 I found that made a tremendous difference in metering consistency... and if you go too fast, powder can still be coming through the funnel as you bring the ram down, and you end up with more of a mess. and if you index the shellplate too fast, the cartridges bobble and sometimes can splash powder. so when going slower in that manner, peaking in doesn't add that much time. I usually add yet another light to try to shine down, sometimes even just keeping a flashlight on to grab.

-rvb

So you're saying I'm doing it wrong?
    (Edit, actually that was around 900 to 1000 rph so right around the 2 sec down / 2 sec up. I'm just way more efficient than RVB's fingers. :):)
    [video=youtube_share;v5Q1QCplldo]http://youtu.be/v5Q1QCplldo[/video]

Comment relative to the thread. If you aren't putting a case feeder on the 650 and loading a lot of ammo, the 550 is the way to go.

Last edited:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Here's another way to look at the 550, IF you were even considering the 650, then the SDB probably would never meet your expectations as far as out put and ease of change overs. Also, Used 550 components are much easier to come by, as people are often upgrading to 650's and selling their old equipment, saving you some money.
    I think the 550 is a great machine for the average reloader, its reasonable on cost, easy to maintain, and capable of easy 500 per hour for the average person. I usually do 300-400 per hour, but I do frequent weight checks, and only have one primer pick up tube.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    One more factor...

I did stop at Bobcat yesterday. He has a SDB with a couple die sets that weren’t a match for my needs. Not a bad deal, though. After looking at configuring it with new dies/conv for my needs, the price was close enough to new that I passed for now. Probably par for course w Dillon. The 550 here has my interest. It’s also priced close to new, but includes a strong mount and maybe an extra conversion. We’ll see.

Matt****, you seem to be a person that does their research to get the most for your $$$====NOTHING wrong with that!!

When you price you will also see a HUGE difference in prices of the die blocks and conversion kits for the 550 vs the 650..With the 650's 5 die set up vs the 550's 4 die set up, you sure WILL pay...Bill..

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Need some help???

Here's another way to look at the 550, IF you were even considering the 650, then the SDB probably would never meet your expectations as far as out put and ease of change overs. Also, Used 550 components are much easier to come by, as people are often upgrading to 650's and selling their old equipment, saving you some money.
    I think the 550 is a great machine for the average reloader, its reasonable on cost, easy to maintain, and capable of easy 500 per hour for the average person. I usually do 300-400 per hour, but I do frequent weight checks, and only have one primer pick up tube.

"Bull" do you need me to send you another primer pick up tube??..HA. HA. HA.....Bill

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've had Hornady LnL AP, Dillon 550b and 650 (and RCBS Rockchucker). The only progressives I have left is the 550b, served me well for many years. Solves 2 issues I had with the 650:
    1) Primer gets stuck in feed system, or won't fully seat in cartridge. MUCH easier to fix in a 550.
    2) rvg says "and if you index the shellplate too fast, the cartridges bobble and sometimes can splash powder." I've had this happen with pistol brass on 650 when shell plate clicks/snaps into position. With manual indexing on the 550, you can control the click speed and manually smoothly rotate to the next position without click/snap from automatic indexing on the 650; thus no powder spill. The Uniquetek weaker spring & ball didn't solve this problem. Manual indexing/place brass/place bullet/pull handle is so rhythmic that I hardly notice that I don't have automatic case feed, but my 550 IS slower than the 650 I used to have.

But I only shoot a couple of hundred rounds a week at most, so the 550 works fine for my volume. I usually turn out around 200 or 300 rounds when reloading and just don't need anything faster.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So you're saying I'm doing it wrong?
    (Edit, actually that was around 900 to 1000 rph so right around the 2 sec down / 2 sec up. I'm just way more efficient than RVB's fingers. :):)
    [video=youtube_share;v5Q1QCplldo]http://youtu.be/v5Q1QCplldo[/video]

Comment relative to the thread. If you aren't putting a case feeder on the 650 and loading a lot of ammo, the 550 is the way to go.

haha, yea, your press isn't moving that much faster, and has a nice pause with the toolhead fully down to let the powder flow. it just doesn't have to wait for the next cycle for you to do silly things like index, place a bullet, place a case, grab the handle, etc...

you always find a way to rub it in, don't you! ;) :laugh:

-rvb

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Matt****, you seem to be a person that does their research to get the most for your $$$====NOTHING wrong with that!!

When you price you will also see a HUGE difference in prices of the die blocks and conversion kits for the 550 vs the 650..With the 650's 5 die set up vs the 550's 4 die set up, you sure WILL pay...Bill..

This project is 100% for fun and because I like reloading. There’s zero need for any increased ammo capacity on my end. I’m having just as much fun learning about these presses and finding the best deal than I would actually reloading. I really appreciate all the input here.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    How about a 450? I have one of those too and use that for my 9 and 38/357. Manual index along with manual powder drop and priming station. You can upgrade both the powder and prime to be automatic. The only problem is you don't have the easy change tool heads. Though you could upgrade a 450 to a 550.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a 650, and although the 550 is great and perfectly usable, I figured I might be sorry if I got the 550 and then later wished I had spent a bit more and got the 650.

I love my XL650, and would recommend it highly to anyone.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Well, I found a pretty good deal on a floor model 550. It’s missing a few parts but has never loaded a round, with a strong mount. It’s mine now. I ordered the missing parts this afternoon, along with a conversion. Not sure I’ll use/want the mount, so I may sell and use proceeds toward another conversion. Can’t wait to get everything together and spend some time learning this thing. Thanks all!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I probably don’t shoot enough lately to need it, but I have ZERO regrets about going with the 650 over a 550.

Night and day from the Lee Pro 1000 I started on!

[video=youtube_share;bkYJm3Kj77k]http://youtu.be/bkYJm3Kj77k[/video]

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    How about a 450? I have one of those too and use that for my 9 and 38/357. Manual index along with manual powder drop and priming station. You can upgrade both the powder and prime to be automatic. The only problem is you don't have the easy change tool heads. Though you could upgrade a 450 to a 550.

Both of our 550's started out as 450's
    Still have the 450 frames on the shelf

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    I got into the "the wonderful world of firearms" late in life. I knew nothing. Same way with reloading. I purchased a Dillon Square Deal. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but if I got to do it over again, I would buy a 550. Good luck on your decision.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My question is where is where do you find used Dillons ? One comes up very infrequently in the For Sale section here. Bobcat may have one occasionally but they don’t last for long and other than calling everyday, which would get tiresome for buyer and seller, there is no way to find one on a regular basis. I once asked the Bobcat owner to give me a call if he ever got in a used Dillon to sell. He never did. I, too, have been looking for a used Dillon - specifically a 650. I constantly check here, Facebook, and eBay. If a reloader can be found sellers, generally speaking, want close to new or in excess of new in some cases when you add in up to $50 or more in shipping some folks are demanding. I have had a WTB post up for awhile. Haven’t received a single response.

I’ve just about decided to bite the bullet (pun intended) and just buy a new set up as apparently no one ever sells their Dillon reloader.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Always find it strange how they come up for sale at the same time. Then a lull and never know how long they be up for sale. Anything 15% below new they sell quick.

Top Bottom