• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is also why home security cameras are good. Covers your ass. Most owners think their dogs are saints because they haven't seen their dogs act primal in a pack. Video could show them proof. Also show you getting bit although you have wounds. Whoever owned those dogs would be paying for whatever my insurance didn't cover and maybe the insurance company would go after them for their part too. Also I would have them pay to replace the chickens you lost.
    Nothing around my property is not covered by a camera. It's good and cheap insurance

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    1. call a lawyer
    2. delete this post
    3. glad you and your family is ok. Get documented treatment for any injuries.
    4. IMO- you waited way longer than I would have.

Do not forget #1. and 2.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not sure deleting the post is necessary as he said the sheriff came and made a report and told him to check on the dog owner's insurance to cover the damages. It sounds like the sheriff notified the owners that their dogs caused the damage and that he shot one defending himself and his property.

If that dog had been here, it would have never gotten that close to a human. Dead chickens = dead intruder whether it be dog, coon, fox, etc. Responsible dog owners do what is necessary to keep their dogs on their own property. I am not saying a dog won't occasionally stray and as long as it isn't doing damage, it would be chased off if seen here. Dogs that are repeatedly here without belonging to an immediate neighbor aren't as lucky. If I know who they belong to, I will contact them and make them aware the dogs are not staying home and requesting they do what is necessary to fix that. One neighbor has a buried fence and his dog shows up when the batteries in the collar are dead or there is a power outage. I notify the owner as soon as I become aware of its presence, and he replaces the batteries. The dog only wanders when he is at work so he sometimes is unaware until I call him.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Denial is pretty powerful. "Just World fallacy" is pretty common. Good things happen to good people, bad things happen to bad people, and you know you're a good person. Logically, you know it's happening, but your subconscious isn't there yet and you end up with the denial of what you are plainly seeing occur and can't deal with it until you overcome that denial.

You just saw it with animals. It happens with people attackers as well. If nothing else, take it as an opportunity to review your mindset.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Classic, just classic. Don't let statistics get in the way.

Dog bite statistics are far from complete or reliable. Most of the attacking dogs are"guessed"breeds on police reports. All violent dogs were trained to be that way either through neglect leading them to become feral pack animals, abuse ( most cases of violent dogs come from the dog being beaten, starved, or used in fighting). I was attacked by a farm dog that was allowed to roam to the point of being feral. My niece was hospitalized after a lab mix attacked her while on a field trip at a farm no discernable pit bull features but was reported as a pit bull mix, because no one wants to think that a lab could be bad. No dna resting is done after an attack, and a vast majority of mutts are unidentifiable, but they have to get labeled for"statistics".

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    They woulda been shot in the coup if it would have been me. You definitely showed more restraint then necessary. They could have attacked someone who wasnt armed and what would the outcome have been? Good dogs are good dogs, vicious attack dogs killing everything in sight, aren't.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Wow. You waited longer than I would. If a dogs come at me, or my animals, I will drop them where they are.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No it really was national love your pet day.

I know that part, it was the other part I was questioning.

True, losing a pet is a very sad thing. I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to my pup. BUT, that being said, these dogs' owner(s) are not responsible dog owners. You don't let your dogs roam without any perimeters (i.e. fence, electric fence, chain, tether, etc.).

wcd, you did what you had to to keep yourself and your family safe. You may have been able to get everyone inside. You may have been able to fire toward the dogs and scare them off. You also may have been hurt even worse, or one of the kids could've been hurt or worse. Lots of possibilities. The dogs had already attacked your livestock and you! you made a decision based on the information you had at the time. You did what you needed to.

Agreed 100%, especially regarding the owners not being responsible owners.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Short Story...

A lot of years ago our youngest Daughter was chased home on Her bike by a mix breed (Large) dog. No contact to Her made, but scared the stuff out of this 10 year old girl.
    By the time that I got out to the yard to check the dog was gone..We DID know who owned the dog.
    Law called, the Officer did let me know that we had the right to protect ourselves, but PLEASE!! do NOT shoot any of the houses around us!! I DID assure Him that I was a better shot than that...
    This Officer went to dog owners house to advise them of the law, and what had happened--HA. HA..He had the overhead lights on his squad on the entire 45 min. or so that He was there...

Fast forward a few weeks later....Shared this story with a farmer friend of ours...He assured me that this dog would no longer be a problem...

Seems that this same dog had got into this farmer's sheep, and now his collar was nailed to the inside of this farmer's barn...Along with SEVERAL others!!!!

Again:

Animals are fine + great pets, but we are at the TOP of the Food Chain...Bill.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    To the OP - you did what had to be done. Good on you. Follow up with the insurance angle because that's the way it is supposed to work.

On a sidenote, did you consider a warning shot? ;)

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Just about a year ago I went to feed our 4 goats only to find them dead and 2 dogs eating on them. I dropped both without hesitation. I don't regret it either. If people love their animals so much I don't understand letting them run wild. Just because you buy 2 acres in the country doesn't mean you own the world and your animals can do whatever they want. These animals were over a mile from their home. There was no reason for them to be allowed venture so far, and this wasn't the first time. A friend of mine just went through the same thing at his place with his sheep. He lost 8 pregnant sheep. Bottom line is people need to be responsible for their pets and keep them contained to their property.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No it really was national love your pet day.

It wasnt "love your neighbor's pet day" So he's good. :):

They woulda been shot in the coup if it would have been me.

Is that a faster kill than center mass or in the head? Where is that on the body?

And do you know why chicken coops only have 2 doors?

Because if it had 4 it would be a chicken sedan! (sorry couldnt resist)

Top Bottom