• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    In April of this year, I had to cut down three trees to get a new internet service. The smallest of the three was a medium sized hickory.
    2qimsex.jpg

I decided to dig out the stump so it would be out of the yard and away from the path toward the range. It didn’t seem too big from the top. Maybe 12-14”.

I very quickly learned that hickory trees have a TON of roots! And they are tough! (Maybe that’s why axe handles are made of hickory wood…duh!)

I have a small tractor that is pretty tough for its size. It took some time to dig, but I eventually had a 3’ deep moat around the stump. Yet with all the digging and cutting of roots, the central stump was rock solid.

2q00ydf.jpg

I was getting frustrated and wasn’t sure how to proceed. I considered shoving the dirt back in the hole and renting a stump grinder someday.

Then I decided to try a bit of binary explosive. :D (It felt a bit ‘hillbilly’to do this, but hey, I live in Brown County!)

I put 4 pounds of H2Targets material in a gallon milk jug and mixed it. I considered whether to put more material in, but decided to stick with 4# after using a similar amount on a half-dead beech tree I wanted to drop. (Didn’t work!) This filled about half the jug’s volume. I smashed the jug down to get rid of most of the airspace.

I dug a hole in the side of the dirt directly under the stump. After putting the jug in the hole, I packed the extra space with dirt so I could get the most work out of the explosion. I aimed the hole away from the house so any gas would head that way. The neck of the milk jug was barely visible from the house.

ehx4zo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-QsytwBJD0

I went to the sunroom of the house and opened the sliding window so I could shoot a .223 round at the neck of the milk jug. My wife opened the other window on that side of the room and had a camera out, ready to take a video of the action!

yp1ci.jpg

The first shot was a hit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PTyk6ORsiA&feature=relmfu

As the explosion went boom, I could see a swarm of small dirt pieces heading toward the house! I heard them hit the side and top of the sunroom. My wife said something and moved back. I could tell she was not hurt, just startled. When I saw the video, I had to laugh at my insensitivity. My wife was getting the dirt pieces out of her mouth and hair and the first thing I said was “Did you get any pictures?” I’m certain I’ll be hearing about this for some time! :)

A fair amount of dirt coated the floor of the sunroom. The porch below had a similar layer of dirt!

2j4qa8j.jpg

The good news is that the H2Targets materials did the trick! In the following picture, you can see where the explosion broke off a good-sized piece of root. More importantly, the blast blew away a bunch of dirt exposing an enormous tap root! That root was the size of my leg and explains why the stump was so solid even after the surrounding roots had been cut. After cutting the tap root and a quick bit of digging with the tractor, the stump came out of the hole. Backfilling was a snap with the Kubota tractor.

In the second picture, I’m taking the stump to a ravine on our property for disposal. In that picture, the stump is upsidedown. The chain is around the tap root! It was a monster!

awrjwy.jpg

x1etk0.jpg

I took two screen shots of the explosion as it began. I like how you can see the initial glow of the detonation and then the expanding gasses in the second picture. As planned, the bulk of the gas headed away from the house. :yesway:

6ifocz.jpg

nv8wb5.jpg

TheH2Targets product really solved a problem for me. I was at an impasse. With its help, I got the stump out…and I had a ton of fun doing it! :D

Last edited:

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    These are a great way to get the ATF on your butt. Why don't you give them your address too. Using Tannerite to "Blow Up" anything changes the Tannerite from a reactive target to an Explosive. You can face federal time, unless you have a licensed powder magazine and the licensing to use explosives.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    These are a great way to get the ATF on your butt. Why don't you give them your address too. Using Tannerite to "Blow Up" anything changes the Tannerite from a reactive target to an Explosive. You can face federal time, unless you have a licensed powder magazine and the licensing to use explosives.
    looks like im going to prison about 12 times. :rockwoot:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    It reminds me of a video I have from Afghanistan where some SF guys are setting off some claymores just because they can....

They set some plywood up in front of the blast area...On the side of "Front Towards Enemy" and had a cinder block (not very well made over there) behind one of them.

You can hear one of the guys doing the count down for the blast, then BOOM...couple of seconds later you hear a wizzing sound and the camera gets knocked off the hood of the HMMWV, the guy in charge says "And that's why you don't put brick behind demo, it pushes"

Dave awesome video lol, Mrs. LMW you must really love that man to take shrapnel for him!

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I had a similar thought last year to "half" a large tree that was too large for my chainsaw. But sadly my friend's house was considered "in town" and I did not want to risk getting the police called on us.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    glad you got your stump out......hickory's have a tapp root that goes straight down can be tough to get out......here is how i like to do it.........this one was 9ft across:D........not near as fun...but still fun...

oh glad you still have glass in your house!!

nges03.jpg

nq7ddj.jpg

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    That....my friend, was one of the most awesomest (a word?) thing I've ever seen!! Hahahahahaha!

Cool!

I think I need to hire LoveMyWoods's Stump Removal Service! :cool:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Grandpa and his cohort used to just pick up dynamite at the local hardware. Always a story about the misplaced rock or stump landing on a roof! The good old days.

LMW: You do a great job of "git-r-done" with the tools you have.

My interpretation:
    So after working your butt off trying to dig out a stump, you go to the patio for a lemonade and some shooting. You happened to place a "reactive target" near the stump. After all the area was tore up anyway. Hey honey, grab the camera.... Bonus: oddly the stump was loosened.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    :wow:

I am amazed you didn't break a single window. Glad you got the stump out. Next time use rubber conveyer belt to wrap the stump and help contain the debris.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

This is not accurate. You do not need licensing for noncommercial use of explosives on your own property, only licensing to maintain a magazine and to buy explosives. You do need to be licensed to engage in business using explosives.

LMW did nothing illegal on a federal level or state level. I don't know about his county level.

Last edited:

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    We used the legal limit *ahem* in a piano, that was a fun one. It was quite an awesome final song played... I think it sounded something like this, "BOOOOOOOOM!"

Congrats on getting the stump out! And an even better congrats for having a wife who puts up with your antics!

Top Bottom