• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I always forget something at the shooters meeting. Yes we are planning a .22 multi gun match for Nov the 8th. I will ask Mark to do a match announcement. This is all dependent on the weather.

Big Craig. Did you flash a little thigh and give a knowing wink??????

Mike

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I need to mention that we had an unfortunate situation on the classifier for a shooter. They received a DNF on that stage because there is no time recorded.

It is imparative that the shooter confirm that there is a time recorded and that the hits total up correctly!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I need to mention that we had an unfortunate situation on the classifier for a shooter. They received a DNF on that stage because there is no time recorded.

It is imparative that the shooter confirm that there is a time recorded and that the hits total up correctly!
    That same shooter is also fairly certain that someone pasted a target before the target was scored which caused the shooter to have 2 mikes through the whole match.

I was not aware my time was not recorded. I heard the RO call out the time. Do not remember what it was though.

No big deal I guess. I still had a blast.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Question, at the low port (I think it was), I missed a steel. I then had to reload to get that steel. Would i have been better off to let it stand as a miss?

I know reload times are in question but I was on my knees so my usual lightning fast reloads were a little slower.

Just curious. Obvious answer is don't miss the steel.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    If you had been standing we know that you wouldn't have missed. Why?

IT"S THE BOOTS!!!!!

LOL

Good Match Sir and Thanks for the ride! :D :):

Question, at the low port (I think it was), I missed a steel. I then had to reload to get that steel. Would i have been better off to let it stand as a miss?

I know reload times are in question but I was on my knees so my usual lightning fast reloads were a little slower.

Just curious. Obvious answer is don't miss the steel.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Just curious.

Depends on the relative HF of the course and your abilities. Best to have an idea going into the stage what you will do "if"...

HF = points per second. 1/HF = seconds per point.
    Missing steel = 15 points lost (25 if not engaged).

example of making the call with an 8 HF course... 1/8 = .125 seconds per point.
    So if you can reload in under 1.875 seconds (15 x 0.125) you'll come out ahead.

scoring example on a 24-round course...
    say you made the hit in 13.5 seconds and earned 108 points. HF = 8.
    say you had the miss in 13.5 seconds and earned 93 points with the penalties. The HF = 6.8.

If you did the reload in 1.6 seconds, it becomes 108 points in 15.1, HF = 7.15.
    If you did the reload in 2.5 seconds, it becomes 108 points in 16.0, HF = 6.75.

The math is a bit backwards, but it's a quick way to guestimate what your action should be and you can see the results on the HF in the example and how you can either improve or degrade your score.

It requires you to have some idea of stage breakdown/estimation and more importantly to know your own abilities.

in awkward positions it is often best to take the miss. If you didn't visually call the miss and relied on not hearing the ding or seeing the popper still standing you are better off to take the miss. If you call it from the sights and are confident you can nail the reload, do it. Every point helps.

Of course, the higher the HF, the harder it is to sneak in the reload before the break-even point.

Obvious answer is don't miss the steel.

yup! :)

-rvb

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Not being as good with math I figure that I need to make up the shot in less than two seconds. If you can reload and hit the steel in less than two seconds why not just do it the first time. :)

I have reload and hit the steel fast, and reloaded and hit is slowly. I have left it standing and never have I felt good about the situation no matter what happens, which brings us back to hit it the first time.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Well not being very good at math and questionable sometimes on my shooting, I reloaded and took 2 or 3 shots to knock down the steel.

I'm sure that took WAY over 2 seconds.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    let it go and call for a calibration!!
    Never know you might get lucky

Really it comes down how fast can you.....
    How fast can you shoot a stage, with your hits
    How fast are your splits
    how fast are you transitions
    how fast can you move

The math is like Ryan said but it takes a certain level of knowing
    you skill level of just how fast you can do something.

I am not at that level yet when I break down a stage, I don't think about how fast I can do it in. I still try to break it down into these and those....
    I am going to these, and then do soemthing like move here and reload and then shoot those. Bigger stages it may be these, those and them.....
    For me and for most shooters in the lower A, thru B,C and D class the most important thing is having a stage plan, working that plan into action, driving the gun, hitting the reloads, getting into and out of positions.
    If you try to push yourself outsided of the level you are shooting at (just pulling the trigger real fast and hoping for the best scenario) you will usually not like the results.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you try to push yourself outsided of the level you are shooting at you will usually not like the results.

This is the single most important thing I've learned.
    It applies to many things in life outside of shooting.

Shoot YOUR game.

As for the math, it doesn't have to be an exact science. But you need an IDEA what you should do "if..."

Tip: Someone on your squad about the same skill level? Time them to ball-park your HF.

Tip: Dryfire! Using a par timer on various drills can help you know your splits on transitions, reloads, basic movements (ie switching sides on barricades), etc etc. Side benefit of improved shooting.

Tip: a calculator in your range bag comes in handy often.

Tip: breaking down stage times takes practice like everything else... make a guestimate of your stage time on your walk-thrus and try to improve your accuracy. I'm still not very good at this but trying to improve.

Tip: video! then at home w/ a stop watch you can learn your splits while reloading on the move between two positions 10 yds apart... complex stuff like that...

ok, I'm out of ideas... and open to more! but these are things I've been working on myself lately. I've been "burned" on several stages lately not because of my shooting but because I didn't see a smart way to save a second.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have seen folks carry the stop watch and calculator around and use them to break down a stage, and they have not been very successful at doing it. I am referring to folks I know personally that tried to do things this way. There might me some people who do it and do it well.

2005 at nationals we were standing on a smaller stage that had the activating steel on the left side and a swinger on the right side and we were discussing what there was time to do between the steel and the swinger. We were there for a while. A voice behind us walked up and said shoot x,y and the swinger will be out and ready to be shot and walked away. It was Todd Jarrett. No stop watch in hand.

Last month at the Ohio section several super squad guys were walking around watching the stages on Friday after noon. No stop watches no calculators that I saw.

Now those guys and gals may have so much experience that they don't need them most of the time at this point in their careers, but it might also be that those things are over rated.

The very best runs I have had have been when I know the plan very well and all I do once the timer goes off is watch the sights. The movement from position to position is smooth and I hit the spot for the next position just right and I watch the gun do its thing. I cannot make the gun go faster, and things go well.

I cannot tell you my splits transitions or even draw most of the time, but I can usually be within a second or two on the overall stage time. Lately however that has been the kiss of death so I am not doing that the rest of the season. Last weekend was a disaster and trying was part of the problem.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Now those guys and gals may have so much experience that they don't need them most of the time at this point in their careers, but it might also be that those things are over rated.

yea, I think experience is 90% of it.

I seldom break out the calculator at the range, I usually save that for when I'm home to analyze the stage and learn what would have been the best decision. Things like movers I can time just fine in my head. More complex decisions on whether I should hit targets on the move vs setup in another position I'm currently struggling with. I don't see how I get better at that w/o analyzing my shooting and my ability to break down the stage? (not rhetorical!). I don't trust "feels like."

At OH, I bet there were a few calculator used when deciding whether to move those cans or take the penalties!

From crunching some #s on my videos from the OH match, I'm thinking I could have gained a few match points just in smarter decisions in target sequence.

After a while though, decisions like Bill's on taking the make-up become second nature. I know I encountered that twice at the end of this season while playing around in single stack... had to swallow the pride and take the mike for a better score.

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't own a timer
    don't have a calculator in my bag
    don't have a dry fire routine set up, other than a couple of target hung on the wall that maybe two or three times a month I spend 10-20 minutes doing some draws and transitions on
    practice reloads every once in awhile......
    What has made me become a better shooter is paying attention and watching other shooters, watching my videos and other big name shooters vidoes on youtube and paying attention to what is going on.
    When I started shooting competitions I already had alot of experience in shooting from growing up around my dad and my uncle. My uncle was very involved in NRA bullseye shooting and this how I learned to shoot. This gave me the experience of trigger control and sight alignment.
    I started shooting IDPA matches in 2001 and only shot those matches until 2005 when I started shooting USPSA matches. Over the last 4 years the amount of time I have spent truely practicing and having a practice session is not very much. Once I started going to big matches like sectionals and area matches and paying attention did I really start to realize the importance of breaking down stages, moving and getting into and out of positions. I would go and try to squad myself with other competitors that were in higher classes than I was, and I would pay attention to what they were doing.
    I never want to get to the point where doing this feels like work or by doing something takes the fun out of it, but you will get to a point to where you need to make a decision that there are things that you will need to do to make yourself more competitive.
    The real simple truth about this sport is that all you have to do is shoot and move fast, get all A's and don't miss. You just have to figure out what it will take for you to be able to do that, and still have fun.

Top Bottom