• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Sorry, Jake, wasn't trying to take the fun out of it for you :laugh:

Just trying to answer Bill's Q on how to determine if doing xyz hurt or helped his score.... and the answer gets pretty involved real quick (estimating stage HF, reversing the match, and knowing your abilities on the skill in question).

Nothing in my post that you wouldn't find on Enos' sight, Saul's book, I think even TGO's website. You may not see those guys whip out a calculator on the range now, but they learned how to apply that math at some point in their carreers....

Totally agree that you gotta keep it fun and prioritized correctly. This year is the least I've practiced since probably 2003... haven't touched a pistol since the OH match except to toss my 642 in my pocket.

However.... for me, meeting challenging goals is fun, too. Breaking a sweat during a 2 hour dryfire marathon is fun. Sneaking that par time lower and lower is fun. Doing something that a year ago I thought was impossible is fun. Being knee deep in brass on a practice range is fun. Match day is just nirvana. :cool:

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry, Jake, wasn't trying to take the fun out of it for you :laugh:

Just trying to answer Bill's Q on how to determine if doing xyz hurt or helped his score.... and the answer gets pretty involved real quick (estimating stage HF, reversing the match, and knowing your abilities on the skill in question).

Nothing in my post that you wouldn't find on Enos' sight, Saul's book, I think even TGO's website. You may not see those guys whip out a calculator on the range now, but they learned how to apply that math at some point in their carreers....

Totally agree that you gotta keep it fun and prioritized correctly. This year is the least I've practiced since probably 2003... haven't touched a pistol since the OH match except to toss my 642 in my pocket.

However.... for me, meeting challenging goals is fun, too. Breaking a sweat during a 2 hour dryfire marathon is fun. Sneaking that par time lower and lower is fun. Doing something that a year ago I thought was impossible is fun. Being knee deep in brass on a practice range is fun. Match day is just nirvana. :cool:

-rvb

No offense, I was more or less saying that at some point a person needs to decide what they are willing to put into to get out what they want. I am at the point.
    I have got to where I am at now by trying to learn from others, watching and paying attention to other shooters and applying that to what I am doing. However I am at that point to where I need to put somethings down on paper and set goals, set up real dry fire drills and real practice.
    For the average D,C,B class shooter if they don't have the time, money, or desire to roll up the sleeves and work at they can still better their performance just by paying attention to what others are doing, learning from it and applying it.
    I am in the process right now of getting the componets ammo wise to be able to really practice.
    I am pretty sure that I can go and make master class just by shooting some certain classifiers and getting my M card, however I want to do it and be competitive at that level, and that means that I am going to have to work on somethings, but I don't want to get to a level that if feels like work I still want to just have fun doing it.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Jake you have admitted to more practice here that you normally admit to. Please keep the story straight:).

Going to nationals both times was an educational experience. I wish they would hold that match at Barry again or somewhere close so I could go again.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I must have been doing something half way right at some point.......

2009 Division/Classification Match Informaiton Overall Division Finish

1st B Class Single Stack 2009 Indiana SS/Production Championship 3rd overall in Single Stack
    1st B Class Limited 2009 Area 5 Championship USPSA 16th overall in Limited
    1st B Class Limited 2009 Illinois Section USPSA 8th overall in Limited
    3rd B Class Limited 2009 Area 6 Championship USPSA 34th overall in Limited
    3rd A Class Limited 2009 Ohio Section USPSA 13th overall in Limited
    4th B Class Limited 2009 Mississippi Sectional USPSA 18th overall in Limited
    6th B Class Limited 2009 Indiana Sectional USPSA 22nd overall in Limited
    7th B Class Limited 2009 Area 3 Championship USPSA 24th overall in Limited

2008 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    L10 Sectional Champion 2008 Indiana Sectional USPSA L10 Sectional Champion
    1st B Class Limited 10 2008 Area 3 Championship USPSA 3rd overall in Limited 10
    2nd B Class Limited 2008 Illinois Sectional USPSA 3rd overall in Limited
    2nd B Class Single Stack 2008 Area 5 Championship USPSA 2nd overall in Single Stack
    3rd B Class Limited 10 2008 Area 8 Championship USPSA 6th overall in Limited 10
    7th B Class 2008 Pro AM Championship 43rd overall

2007 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    2nd B Class Limited 10 2007 Area 3 Championship USPSA 8th overall in Limited 10
    3rd B Class Limited 10 2007 Ohio Sectional USPSA 7th overall in Limited 10

2006 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    L10 Sectional Champion 2006 Indiana Sectional USPSA L10 Sectional Championship
    1st C Class Limited 10 2006 Ohio Sectional USPSA 5th overall in Limited 10
    1st B Class Single Stack 2006 Area 5 Championship USPSA 3rd overall in Single Stack
    2nd B Class Single Stack 2006 Area 8 Championship USPSA 5th overall in Single Stack
    2nd C class Limited 10 2006 Area 3 Championship USPSA 13th overall in Limited 10
    7th B Class Production 2006 Area 6 Championship USPSA 29th overall in Production
    5th place Production 2006 Berm Aid I Terre Haute, IN 5th overall in Production (unclassified)
    8th place Production 2006 Double Tap Championship 8th overall in Production (unclassified)

2005 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    1st C Class Limited 10 2005 Michigan Sectional USPSA 2nd overall in Limited 10
    4th place CDP Expert 2005 Indiana State IDPA Championship 4th overall in CDP Expert
    3rd C Class Limited 10 2005 Kentucky Sectional USPSA 6th overall in Limited 10
    3rd C Class Limited 10 2005 Indiana Sectional USPSA 7th overall in Limited 10
    6th C Class Limited 10 2005 Area 3 Championship USPSA 17th overall in Limited 10
    3rd C Class Limited 10 2005 Area 8 Championship USPSA 11th overall Limited 10
    5th C Class Limited 10 2005 Area 5 Championship USPSA 17th overall in Limited 10

2004 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    1st place CDP SS 2004 Indiana Regional IDPA Championship 1st overall in CDP Sharpshooter
    5th place CDP Expert 2004 Indiana State IDPA Championship 5th overall in CDP Expert
    7th place Limited 10 2004 Indiana Sectional USPSA 7th overall in Limited 10

2003 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    6th place CDP SS 2003 Indiana State IDPA Championship 6Th overall in CDP Sharpshooter
    3rd place CDP SS 2003 Indiana Regional IDPA Championship 3rd overall in CDP Sharpshooter
    2nd place CDP SS 2003 Midwest Fall IDPA Championship 2nd overall in CDP Sharpshooter

2001 Division/Classification Match information Overall Division Finish
    2nd place CDP SS 2001 IDPA Spring Nationals 2nd overall in CDP Sharpshooter
    4th place CDP SS 2001 Smith & Wesson IDPA Nationals 4th overall in CDP Sharpshooter
    15th place CDP SS 2001 IDPA Nationals 15th overall in CDP Sharpshooter

Top Bottom