• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    In case you guys didn't see them over on Enos: http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20131009.pdf

Highlights (not official, just a brief summary):
    - USPSA Revolver division will be changed to allow 8-shot guns in Minor Power Factor (along with 6-shot guns that can score Major).

- New 2014 rule book approved. IIRC, no major changes from what has been out there for review. We did keep in a couple of the Level I match exemptions that were slated to be taken out (mover presentation and painting steel). Plus, a rule for where ammo capacity is restricted by law.

- New guns for the Production gun list will have a new form with some clarity added.

- For Steel Challenge, a division was added. Open Revolver.

- For Steel Challenge, a bit of clarity was added saying that you can paint the post of the stop plate to differentiate it as the stop plate.

- Practiscore was approved as an official scoring program.

** The new rule book and division change (Revo-Minor8) will start on February 01, 2014

Looks like the Amish guns division is going to get all sorts of messed with.... Sorry Bob...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gives myself permission to buy an Amish 8 shooter (that may never see a match.) :D

Thanks for the update midget!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Didnt you hear? with the addition of 8-rnd revo we will see hundreds of people flock from other shooting sports to our shooting sport....

-rvb

Well, now it makes sense.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I hope I'm wrong and every club in the country gains a couple of new regular USPSA revo shooters. I just don't see it being the draw that adding production/SS was.

i don't really know what's the better game setup (8/minor vs 6/maj), and my only Amish gun is a 5/minor 642, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. My gut says saving 4-6 seconds on a field course by avoiding a couple of reloads (maybe more since they'll be less likely to be standing reloads) is worth loosing a few points for... So I just hope current members don't feel put-out and aren't forced to buy new gear to stay competitive. I think its a bigger change than allowing 9mm-major in limited, and if they did that people would be calling for the BoD's heads.....

there were a lot of revo shooters supporting the change on the USPSA forum, so maybe I'm way out in left field. My lack of experience/participation in the division is why I didn't comment on it in the official comment area...

I'm glad they kept some of the level-1 exemptions.

-rvb

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hope I'm wrong and every club in the country gains a couple of new regular USPSA revo shooters. I just don't see it being the draw that adding production/SS was.

i don't really know what's the better game setup (8/minor vs 6/maj), and my only Amish gun is a 5/minor 642, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. My gut says saving 4-6 seconds on a field course by avoiding a couple of reloads (maybe more since they'll be less likely to be standing reloads) is worth loosing a few points for... So I just hope current members don't feel put-out and aren't forced to buy new gear to stay competitive. I think its a bigger change than allowing 9mm-major in limited, and if they did that people would be calling for the BoD's heads.....

there were a lot of revo shooters supporting the change on the USPSA forum, so maybe I'm way out in left field. My lack of experience/participation in the division is why I didn't comment on it in the official comment area...

I'm glad they kept some of the level-1 exemptions.

-rvb

I think all of us revo shooters know that 8 minor is going to stomp 6 major with shooters of like skill, everyday of the week. Some of the USPSA revo shooters I know already own 627s, so they are good to go no matter what. Others, like me, don't own them and while I think they are very cool guns, I'm just not willing to chunk out another $1500-$1800 for the gun, clips, action work, etc. I don't shoot USPSA much, but I likely won't head back to revo when I do. Locally it wouldn't matter but there's some closer majors I'd like to shoot next year and I'll be in a different divsion when that happens.

So, I guess the ruling has resulted in a -1 for a sometimes USPSA revo shooter:laugh:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ... Others, like me, don't own them and while I think they are very cool guns, I'm just not willing to chunk out another $1500-$1800 for the gun, clips, action work, etc. I don't shoot USPSA much, but I likely won't head back to revo when I do. Locally it wouldn't matter but there's some closer majors I'd like to shoot next year and I'll be in a different divsion when that happens.

So, I guess the ruling has resulted in a -1 for a sometimes USPSA revo shooter:laugh:

That's disappointing to hear, and is exactly what I was afraid would happen.

I suspect in the long run the revo participation won't change.... the division will loose a few folks like yourself to other divisions/games, maybe gain a couple, and the hardcore revo guys will either shoot their existing gear or shell out for new gear... There may be a short up-tick as those who don't shoot revo but lobbied for the change shoot a match or two to "show their support" or just try out an 8-rnd round-stack game...

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I didn't lobby for the revo change, but I do like having an excuse to buy the 627 or R8 I've been looking at for awhile. I dig wheelguns, but being limited to 6rds and standing reloads in what tends to be an 7-8rd array/ world just seemed like no fun at all.

I'm might be glad to see they did something about the whole FN "Sure, we made 2000 guns available to the public - wink, wink" debacle. Depends on what they did, though.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    I think most revo shooters knew the rule was coming, I myself was not for 8 minor. Be interesting to see how it plays out. I will be looking to add a couple of S&W 627's to my collection in the near future.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That's disappointing to hear, and is exactly what I was afraid would happen.

I suspect in the long run the revo participation won't change.... the division will loose a few folks like yourself to other divisions/games, maybe gain a couple, and the hardcore revo guys will either shoot their existing gear or shell out for new gear... There may be a short up-tick as those who don't shoot revo but lobbied for the change shoot a match or two to "show their support" or just try out an 8-rnd round-stack game...

-rvb

I think that's what will happen. A few ICORE guys might be snagged, a few more might come on for the revo nats, but with the ones that come in there will likely be a similar percentage that leave. Ultimately, the issue with revolver participation is revolvers themselves. I can't really envision anyone leaving other divisions to get serious about revo.

I didn't lobby for the revo change, but I do like having an excuse to buy the 627 or R8 I've been looking at for awhile. I dig wheelguns, but being limited to 6rds and standing reloads in what tends to be an 7-8rd array/ world just seemed like no fun at all.

I'm might be glad to see they did something about the whole FN "Sure, we made 2000 guns available to the public - wink, wink" debacle. Depends on what they did, though.

I hear ya. I count myself a "revo-guy" and shoot ESR exclusively in IDPA. For me, it's the most fun you can have in that game. In USPSA revo can just be brutal.

For some reason I thought you had a 327?? Seems like a while back I saw a thread on it. In any event, now's the time:laugh:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I haven't followed that very closely, but my understanding is they revised the wording on the forms the manufacturer has to submit, but we're still basically taking their word on it....

not a whole lot you can do / enforce.

I think I'd like to see the manufacturers certify that 2k pistols were available in the US market. I don't know what the new form/requirements look like. But it'd suck for a wondergun to get built here only to be sold under contract to a foreign govt/police, or a gun built overseas that never gets imported into the US be on the list...

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I think that's what will happen. A few ICORE guys might be snagged, a few more might come on for the revo nats, but with the ones that come in there will likely be a similar percentage that leave. Ultimately, the issue with revolver participation is revolvers themselves. I can't really envision anyone leaving other divisions to get serious about revo.

I hear ya. I count myself a "revo-guy" and shoot ESR exclusively in IDPA. For me, it's the most fun you can have in that game. In USPSA revo can just be brutal.

For some reason I thought you had a 327?? Seems like a while back I saw a thread on it. In any event, now's the time:laugh:

Not me - I've never owned Amish gun. Shot a few a liked them, and who wouldn't want 8rds of MAGNUM POWER? :): I did have a thread some time back about wanting the R8 (tacticool 327), but never pulled the trigger on it.

You may be right on the division's ultimate fate. Every time I get the urge to buy a revo and shoot it in USPSA, I start looking at all the work it is to get a good setup; Loading with only hand-seated federal primers, trimming cases to 38 short russian or whatever the heck it is, even finding the gun in the first place is a challenge since it appears that S&W only makes the darn things when the moon and stars are aligned just right.

You've got to be really dedicated to shoot USPSA revo as your main division.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You've got to be[STRIKE] really dedicated [/STRIKE] committed to shoot USPSA revo as your main division.

straight_jacket.jpg

:):

-rvb

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Revolvers are a ton of fun to shoot. I shot one in USPSA for the first time last month and realy enjoyed it. I dont think the rule will attract to many shooters from other sports, but I do think you will see the 8 shot revolver sales increase and will probably see more shooters using 8shot revolvers in USPSA from time to time. :draw:

Maybe we could give one of those cool straight jackets as a prize for the revolver division. Make mine black with extra pockets.:)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom