• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    I don't own a 8 shot and not sure its on my list either. I have two 5" 625 that will more than likely a paper weight in the rev game. I posted on B.E. too that the people that shoot ICORE at Wheel Gunners Revenge are the same guys that shoot USPSA around here and they choose not to shoot revolver in USPSA and I don't see that changing.

If 8 shots rule's I will stay in open or limited for.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    straight_jacket.jpg

:):

-rvb
    I have one of those jackets, it came with the last 625 I bought.

wkpjci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    :bacondance:I just started in uspsa, got into the limited division due to a friends suggestion that it was a good place to start. But I always told him I would like to go to revo after having a better understanding of the sport. I guess that I am going to be one of the few that this draws. Im always a glutton for punishment.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    :bacondance:I just started in uspsa, got into the limited division due to a friends suggestion that it was a good place to start. But I always told him I would like to go to revo after having a better understanding of the sport. I guess that I am going to be one of the few that this draws. Im always a glutton for punishment.

Come on in the waters fine:rockwoot:
    6 or 8 shot Revolver changes the game HUGELY from auto shooters.
    Stage breakdown moves way up the list on importance, as well as accuracy. A miss with a revolver will change the whole rest of the course of fire. It becomes like a chess game and it is not for everyone.
    I find it interesting that when I walk the stages before a match or before shooting a stage that I have had several shooters ask what I'm thinking the best way to shoot the stage is. I always say well I'm shooting a Revolver so it will be different for a auto shooter, I have had them say we know what you shoot but you see things we never think of.
    I say revolver is the hardest division in USPSA because of several things stage breakdown is just one of them. A longer heavier trigger pull makes speed and accuracy a challange. Recoil* shooting 6 shot .45 major loads the revolver is one of the if not the most heavy recoiling gun in the match. There is no slide and spring absorbing the recoil energy. This won't be as much a issue with 8 minor loads. I don't notice the recoil at a match when the timer goes off but do when I'm shooting at home.
    The reload is maybe the biggest thing to learn. You have to figure the best way out and practice, practice, practice. The upside is that you can dryfire and practiice reloads cheaply without ever firing a shot.
    I shot revolver in steel matches and some USPSA years ago before I took a several year break from shooting. When I got back into it I found a different game than what I left. My Autos were as rusty as I was and need a lot of tuning to get them running again(as did I:):) I decided to break out the revolvers again. My first match was a comedy of errors and fighting the wrong powder in my reloads had me second guessing the whole revolver thing. Next match with different powder helped but still lots of mistakes and poor accuracy, still not sure if I wanted to keep shooting revolver. 3rd and 4th matches things got better but I was impatient and wanted more faster. Dryfired and practiced my reloads and kept working at it.
    Then at the next match something happened. I was unloading and showing clear when I realized that I had just had a blast shooting that stage. I have NEVER looked back.
    Most shooters that I have seen give up before they get to the fun part.
    Just putting this out there so you don't give up before you get to the fun part.
    If you start shooting revolver squad with other revolver shooters, if there are any, and watch and ask questions we are a friendly bunch and will offer help if you ask.
    You see a lot of friendly ribbing on here and in person at matches about shooting revolver but I have more FUN shooting revolver in Steel, ICORE, USPSA and maybe IDPA next year, than I EVER had shooting a bottom feeder.
    A lot of shooters talk about how "painfull" it is to watch a revolver shoot a stage. Most of these shooters have NEVER even tried revolver or have given up before they got to the fun part.

Pros for revolver:
    FUN
    You will learn stage breakdowns
    FUN
    Your accuracy will get better especially when you pick up a Auto again.
    FUN
    Less gun trouble (once you get the gun and ammo set up)
    FUN
    As you get better you get some satisfaction that you are doing something that not everyone can(or wants to) do.
    FUN
    OH yeah you get all your brass back also:laugh:

Cons for revolver:
    It is a lot more work to get better with a revolver
    Not a lot of other revolver shooters at the matches
    Recoil with Major loads
    Misses SUCK
    One of the biggest cons to get over is your EGO will take a hit. You will start at the bottom of the results and work up as you learn a whole new game. It will sting to get beat by shooters that you could beat easily with an auto.

As for the 6 Major/8 Minor thing- I don't really care anymore I have had a 8 shot gun for quite a while so that had nothing to do with my opinion. 8 shots will make the stage breakdowns somewhat easier but you will have to be more accurate scoring minor and 8 shots gun are slower to reload than 6 shot guns. Some stages the 8 shot will have the advantage some a 6 shot will have the advantage.
    I like the stage breakdown challenge with 6 shots so I will have to see how the 8 shot breakdown goes. I'm sure that I will be shooting 8 shot gun at the Majors next year.
    I can't wait for next year as there will be a bunch of new shooters at the matches with their 8 shot guns:rolleyes: ( sorry my purple is broke).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    and maybe IDPA next year

Let me know if you need help picking out a fishing vest:D It would be great to have you in the game:yesway:

As to the other business, I feel the same way. I'll shoot six major at locals and if I make a major USPSA match, I'll jump divisions.

WKPJCI, glad to hear the move to 8 minor has enticed you to come in:yesway:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think I'd like to see the manufacturers certify that 2k pistols were available in the US market. I don't know what the new form/requirements look like. But it'd suck for a wondergun to get built here only to be sold under contract to a foreign govt/police, or a gun built overseas that never gets imported into the US be on the list...

-rvb

according to Area 5 Director, this was included in the changes:
    USPSA Board meeting, minutes posted **news** - USPSA/IPSC Shooting - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basically...ordinary citizen, no special groups, available in USA distribution/shelves, 2000.

-rvb

wkpjci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    Actually sbcman, I was really hoping it wasnt going to happen, I was going revo either way and am actually hesitate to get an 8 rnd wheelie. I would really like to hear more discussion before I decide what to get.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Actually sbcman, I was really hoping it wasnt going to happen, I was going revo either way and am actually hesitate to get an 8 rnd wheelie. I would really like to hear more discussion before I decide what to get.

Gotcha and wise move. A few shooters have been gathering data between 6 and 8 but it's all preliminary.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So we are < 2 weeks away from these rules going into effect. Where the F is the new rule book? Common BoD/NROI, dont go all IDPA and make me quote some post on some web forum as justification for my rulings. That's amature hour ****. I don't need a book in hand, I'll be happy w/ a pdf I can print or put in a smart phone or tablet.

-rvb

ps. the minutes linked in the OP can't even be found at http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-board-mtgs-home.php
    Guess I'll use "INGO says so" next time I RO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So we are < 2 weeks away from these rules going into effect. Where the F is the new rule book? Common BoD/NROI, dont go all IDPA and make me quote some post on some web forum as justification for my rulings. That's amature hour ****. I don't need a book in hand, I'll be happy w/ a pdf I can print or put in a smart phone or tablet.

-rvb

ps. the minutes linked in the OP can't even be found at Login to access USPSA - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association
    Guess I'll use "INGO says so" next time I RO.

Ditto!
    You just seen me link to the old rules in another thread didn't you?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ditto!
    You just seen me link to the old rules in another thread didn't you?

actually, no, I didn't. I was wanting to bone up, esp on the changes. Went to uspsa.org for the rules and they weren't there. Went to the BoD minutes page and the minutes weren't there. Got pissed, and cross posted on several different forums and emailed Amidon....

That's F'd up. If you want to appear professional at all, the rules that are soon to be in effect should be available at least one quarter, preferably two before going into effect. If they aren't available once in effect, well, people need fired.

Guess I have a case of "The Monday's" or something, but it makes the whole sport look bad. Season is about to start. WTF are the rules? Every MD w/ a match coming up should be *****ing to USPSA (hint, Bob!) :)

-rvb

Last edited:

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    actually, no, I didn't. I was wanting to bone up, esp on the changes. Went to uspsa.org for the rules and they weren't there. Went to the BoD minutes page and the minutes weren't there. Got pissed, and cross posted on several different forums and emailed Amidon....

That's F'd up. If you want to appear professional at all, the rules that are soon to be in effect should be available at least one quarter, preferably two before going into effect. If they aren't available once in effect, well, people need fired.

Guess I have a case of "The Monday's" or something, but it makes the whole sport look bad. Season is about to start. WTF are the rules? Every MD w/ a match coming up should be *****ing to USPSA (hint, Bob!) :)

-rvb

I emailed Amidon this morning about rule books or printed updates, thought about it after reading your post over on ENOS.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I emailed Amidon this morning about rule books or printed updates, thought about it after reading your post over on ENOS.

:yesway:

Response I got from Amidon indicated no sooner than 1 Feb for the pdf version to be available on the website, but he was inquiring further.

I emailed our AD suggesting a bylaw change that requires the new rules to be available for some period of time prior to going into effect. (eg electronic version 3 months prior, printed versions 30 days prior... told him they could determine an appropriate length of time... making rules available the day they go into effect doesn't seem right.)

Area 1 director indicating on enos "this spring" they'll become available...

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    :yesway:

Response I got from Amidon indicated no sooner than 1 Feb for the pdf version to be available on the website, but he was inquiring further.

I emailed our AD suggesting a bylaw change that requires the new rules to be available for some period of time prior to going into effect. (eg electronic version 3 months prior, printed versions 30 days prior... told him they could determine an appropriate length of time... making rules available the day they go into effect doesn't seem right.)

Area 1 director indicating on enos "this spring" they'll become available...

-rvb

I complained about this last year with the BOD's not actually being included initially with the pdf. They really need to take a couple hours and get this hammered it. They have the full text and know where it needs to go...

Top Bottom