• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    At the SCGC match yesterday, it was necessary to correct a couple of shooters regarding unload and show clear. Racking the slide and catching your cartridge does not violate any rule, failing to rack it again and showing clear prior to dropping the hammer does.

Whitey1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    What if it's the first stage of the match?

Coach asked: Are you going to make a return to shooting USPSA?

Answer: Casually. See you at Riley next weekend, weather permitting.

Whitey1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Of course you are correct jjj. I was trying to point out that if it was the first stage, then the "if you are ready, unload and show clear" of the previous stage is irrelevant.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Something similar happened to one of our veteran shooters last year. It may have been for SS/Prod match. He used his carry gun that day. He racked the slide to dry fire, a live round came out. Being an experienced shooter and great sport, he packed his stuff up and then RO'd the rest of the day without saying a word.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    My opinion to this is where the gun is pointed. Alot of shooters (not just new ones either) point their gun at the ground after showing clear and then hammer down. Pointing at a target and hammer down keeps it safe and keeps you from DQing... You can always say you werent finished.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My opinion to this is where the gun is pointed. Alot of shooters (not just new ones either) point their gun at the ground after showing clear and then hammer down. Pointing at a target and hammer down keeps it safe and keeps you from DQing... You can always say you werent finished.

Funny you say that. Saw someone fire one into the ground this weekend at ACC. I tend to keep the gun more level but never thought to say I wasn't done. Hopefully it will never come to that.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    The only person I DQd at the State Match a few years ago was because he was in a race to "show clear." Last stage, last shooter of the match. His mag "hiccuped" (for lack of a better term) and the round didn't eject. He "hammered down", gun went "boom."

I try to make it a practice to hold it open until the RO says "hammer down." No one has given away prices for the fastest "re-holster"

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If the gun goes off after "if clear, hammer down, & holster" its a DQ. No "I wasn't done" excuse will get you out of it.

It's in the "DQ" part of the rule book.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Something similar happened to one of our veteran shooters last year. It may have been for SS/Prod match. He used his carry gun that day. He racked the slide to dry fire, a live round came out. Being an experienced shooter and great sport, he packed his stuff up and then RO'd the rest of the day without saying a word.

I felt so bad for that guy, but he just laughed and hung out all day. If only everyone else was so honest when things like that happen.

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CB45
    If the gun goes off after "if clear, hammer down, & holster" its a DQ. No "I wasn't done" excuse will not get you out of it.

It's in the "DQ" part of the rule book.

FIFY

No excuses.

8.3.7 “If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster” – After issuance of this command,
    the competitor is prohibited from firing (see Rule 10.4.3). While continuing
    to point the handgun safely downrange, the competitor must​
    perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows:

10.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading a handgun.
    This includes any shot fired during the procedures outlined in Rule​
    8.3.1 and Rule 8.3.7

Top Bottom