• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    How about muzzle down range pointed kinda at targets gun was about mid belly level clearing a malfunction with finger inside trigger guard.

We all have had these while ROing. One particular one comes to mind that likes to argue about it.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Oh REALLY????? it was down range..:):
    10.4 Match Disqualification – Accidental Discharge
    A competitor who causes an accidental discharge must be stopped by a Range Officer as soon as possible. An accidental discharge is defined as follows:
    10.4.1 A shot, which travels over a backstop, a berm or in any other direction, specified in the written stage briefing by the match organizers as being unsafe. Note that a competitor who legitimately fires a shot at a target, which then travels in an unsafe direction, will not be disqualified (the provisions of Section 2.3 may apply).

My example was not accidental.. just saying

If it wasn't accidental, then it's not a DQ. It's been a year man since that class man, give me a break. :cool:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    How about muzzle down range pointed kinda at targets gun was about mid belly level clearing a malfunction with finger inside trigger guard.

We all have had these while ROing. One particular one comes to mind that likes to argue about it.
    The rule book allows this if the gun is pointed at the target. I hate it. It is stupid and it should not be allowed and should be changed. But it is the rule and that ends the interpretation of if it is allowed. It piles the judgement on the RO as to whether or not the gun was pointed at the target. If the RO says it was or was not then that should be the end of the discussion. If the gun was not pointed at the target DQ. If the gun was pointed at the target then we let it go and curse whoever put that rule into place.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

5.7.3 and 10.5.8

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Another issue that is hanging in the balance but is not really being addressed is integrity. No one wants to endure a DQ, even if they deserve it. But if you do it own it and walk away and take it like a man. Doing some cursing, break some furniture and move on. Don't argue and ****, moan and look for a loophole back into the match.

Every time you lay a gun on the 180 you risk the RO making a call. Every time you leave your finger in the trigger guard you risk the RO making a call.

Last weekend at the Mile Showdown a lady on my squad was moving from one position to another position with her finger on the trigger. She was not engaging targets. She did this on the first two stages. On one of those stages the RO was yelling finger. She yelled back while moving that she was engaging targets. I think she needed a lesson and attitude adjustment.

I saw two folks DQ in the same match on my squad for breaking the 180. I saw many more examples on my squad and others where it should have been called and was not. I saw one example of sweeping go unpunished. My point is not to bash those RO's. Because they should only call what they know 100% and maybe they were only 99% sure. **** happens fast. Plus I might be much more experienced than those particular RO's. So no judgement on that.

My point is that many shooters run the ragged edge of control, take unnecessary chances, are reckless at times, and have no idea how unsafe they are, or do not care. I think USPSA shooters in general need to tighten up what they are doing. I think USPSA shooters are head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the gun world when it comes to gunhandling.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Neither of these state pointed at or towards a target.
    If the gun is at belly level you are clearly not aiming at the target.
    Just so the rest of you don't have to look them up.

5.7.3 While rectifying a malfunction that requires the competitor to clearly move the handgun away from aiming at a target, the competitor’s fingers must be clearly outside the trigger guard.

10.5.8 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard while clearing a malfunction where the competitor clearly moves the handgun away from aiming at targets.

:popcorn:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Another issue that is hanging in the balance but is not really being addressed is integrity. No one wants to endure a DQ, even if they deserve it. But if you do it own it and walk away and take it like a man. Doing some cursing, break some furniture and move on. Don't argue and ****, moan and look for a loophole back into the match.

Every time you lay a gun on the 180 you risk the RO making a call. Every time you leave your finger in the trigger guard you risk the RO making a call.

My point is that many shooters run the ragged edge of control, take unnecessary chances, are reckless at times, and have no idea how unsafe they are, or do not care. I think USPSA shooters in general need to tighten up what they are doing. I think USPSA shooters are head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the gun world when it comes to gun handling.

Well said.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    10.5.8 question. Point shooting close targets is that aiming?

Can your clear a malfunction on an iron sighted pistol while aiming it?

Is this simply meant to be an Open gun with a slide racker while clearly the gun?

What if the Open gun does not have a slide racker?

Why the hell is this rule even in the book?

Is not not reasonable to expect all shooters to get their finger out of the trigger guard while clearing a malfunction?

Top Bottom