• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Just got my first 1911, and I'm contemplating giving SS a go. What type of modifications are guys running on their SS pistols? I know I know; compete with what you've got. I'm just looking to get a general idea.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Just got my first 1911, and I'm contemplating giving SS a go. What type of modifications are guys running on their SS pistols? I know I know; compete with what you've got. I'm just looking to get a general idea.

fiber optic front sight, magwell, beavertail, ambi safeties, big button mag release and a trigger job from George...

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    ?
    Personal preference or are there stages where it is an advantage?

Reminds me, I need to go look up the rules for how you can position magazines.

Any classifier where you have to shoot weak hand only.

It's definitely not a must. Just what I did.

Holster type, mag and holster positions are important. No dropped and offset holsters.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good luck getting into George's queue!

If your gun already has a beavertail grip safety, I'd say:

o Magwell, blended to the frame
    o Trigger job, maybe replace hammer/sear/disconnector/sear spring if necessary
    o Any necessary reliability work

Then get lots of mags.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Is it a dedicated uspsa gun?

• Get good magazines. My preference is Wilson ETM w/Dawson pads. A lot of people will recommend the Wilson 47D but they are a 7rd mag made to fit 8. I think the ETMs are better since they are a true 8rd Mag and will be easier to seat. Lot of others like Tripps but I've had issues with Tripps not dropping free w/ 9 and 40. Never tried Tripp 45.
    • Decent sights. My preference is all black bomar style rear. Narrow FO front (.100")
    • Magwell. My preference is Dawson ICE w/ No Gap. This will require aftermarket pads on your magazines. Never tried TechWell but others like them. Either will be a lot better than a small S&A or similar.
    • Extended mag catch. I like the Dawson IDPA length release w/ the low pro button. Easy to hit but I've never accidentally dropped a mag with it.
    • Recoil spring 14# (for 45), mainspring 19#.
    • I don't worry much about triggers, if it is 3.5# or less, with a half way decent break, I call it good. (Most are factory w/ 19# ms)
    • Good, non-slip grips. Preference is VZ grips w/ superscoop cut. I use operator IIs but I've never tried any of the other styles.
    • I like aggressive front checkering. 20lpi on my Trophy Match eats up my hands but is great. I prefer it over my 25lpi and 30lpi guns. The trojan stipple is worthless. Grip tape is also an option.
    • I dislike 2pc guide rods. I use a 1pc full length Wilson guide rod. I'm sure it doesn't matter but all the cool kids have full length.:rolleyes:
    • I don't care too much about an ambi safety either way. At first I thought it would be important but just disengage it before the transfer and you're fine. The more important thing is how the thumb safety fits with your hands. Make sure your weak hand doesn't contact it.
    • I like bladetech's owb holster and Double Alpha SS pouches.

-Tim

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey, Andrew can I join your thread and drift it a bit?:)

I have a Comp-Tac paddle holster for my 1911. When I wear it, it "tilts" in at the top so that the bottom is flaring out away from my body. I would prefer it to be vertical as now I am actually drawing slightly into my body when I clear the holster with the pistol.

Is this a product of it being a paddle or is it my body(hips)? I am 5' 11", 175lbs with a 32" waist if that means anything.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Is this a product of it being a paddle or is it my body(hips)?

Both.
    But the way to fix it is go away from the integrated paddle. I started with the same holster. Then switched to Bladetech with the TecLok. TecLok does two things for you. First, it fits more secure on the belt so less movement/more consistent grip. Second, it spaces the gun out a little due to the extra thickness. Also, if that is not enough, you just need to make a spacer/longer screws to bring it further out. Just don't get carried away so you stay within the spacing rules.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Then get lots of mags.

^^^ This is what I'd do, along with accumulating all the bullet reloading components you can afford and loading them.

The gun is likely good to go, if it runs. IMHO, new to the game folks chase their tail with gun mods and gear purchases before they are proficient enough to know whether it makes a difference of not. Time and money is much better spent on productive practice and training. Better to work on the gun next year, if it needs it. :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Both.
    But the way to fix it is go away from the integrated paddle. I started with the same holster. Then switched to Bladetech with the TecLok. TecLok does two things for you. First, it fits more secure on the belt so less movement/more consistent grip. Second, it spaces the gun out a little due to the extra thickness. Also, if that is not enough, you just need to make a spacer/longer screws to bring it further out. Just don't get carried away so you stay within the spacing rules.

Thanks! I am beginning to see how people have so many holsters. I bought the Comp-Tac with much research!:)

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Off topic a bit. Looking for a LEFT HAND Bladetec 1911 holster for the wifey. If anyone has one they want to dump let me know.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    ^^^ This is what I'd do, along with accumulating all the bullet reloading components you can afford and loading them.

The gun is likely good to go, if it runs. IMHO, new to the game folks chase their tail with gun mods and gear purchases before they are proficient enough to know whether it makes a difference of not. Time and money is much better spent on productive practice and training. Better to work on the gun next year, if it needs it. :twocents:

I agree but good mags and a magwell are must haves for me. Everything else is preference.

Although I like to support the industry:dunno:
    View attachment 35629 View attachment 35630

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    In my experience, do not make the mistake of buying Wilson 8 shot mags. My gun will not strip the top round off the mag when it's loaded to 8 (with 15# recoil spring). Chip McCormick 8-rounders work just fine.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    And there you go, I've used nothing but Wilson 8 shot mags. As long as I seated them on the slide down reload correctly, no issues. In a Norinco, Kimber and STI.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

I resemble that remark :).
    Other thing is, they break. It is nice to be able to send a near 100% stock gun back & get it fixed for free no questions asked.

One thing I have not seen mentioned and spent last year learning the hard way. Install an Aftec Extractor.

Why? I had one guy tell me they were good and another person tell me not to mess with one since I've never had an extractor problem with a any of my guns. I don't know what they would do for the average gun / shooter.

I agree but good mags and a magwell are must haves for me. Everything else is preference.

Although I like to support the industry:dunno:
    View attachment 35629 View attachment 35630

Wholly crap that is a stack of mags!!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've got an Aftec in my limited gun but standard extractors in my 1911's. The limited gun came that way. I haven't had an extractor issue in either of them. I don't believe I'd change out a functioning extractor.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    • Get good magazines. My preference is Wilson ETM w/Dawson pads. A lot of people will recommend the Wilson 47D but they are a 7rd mag made to fit 8. I think the ETMs are better since they are a true 8rd Mag and will be easier to seat.
    • I don't care too much about an ambi safety either way. At first I thought it would be important but just disengage it before the transfer and you're fine. The more important thing is how the thumb safety fits with your hands. Make sure your weak hand doesn't contact it.

-Tim

I also don't really care about ambi safeties, I don't really use the right side other than as a place to put my thumb when shooting WH. I currently only have 1 1911 and it doesn't have ambis. that it's sized/shaped right to just naturally disengage w/ your grip and not get re-engaged by the WH is what's important. I have an STI safety in my 1911 since it was what I had on my open gun and I never had problems w/ it there. So pure personal preference. This is where asking around at matches to check out guns at the safe table helps to see what you might like.

Install an Aftec Extractor.
    :puke:

And there you go, I've used nothing but Wilson 8 shot mags.

ditto. mine are about 1/2 47d and half etm. I slightly prefer the etm for reasons Tim gave.

I hate paddle holsters.... a holster that really holds onto the belt, doesn't rock back and forth or shift up and down will do wonders for your draw consistency.

just since no one has mentioned it.... don't forget as you do your mods to make sure you stay w/in the weight limit (43oz iirc; it's in the book).
    see appendix D5
    http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

-rvb

Top Bottom