• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I also don't really care about ambi safeties, I don't really use the right side other than as a place to put my thumb when shooting WH. I currently only have 1 1911 and it doesn't have ambis. that it's sized/shaped right to just naturally disengage w/ your grip and not get re-engaged by the WH is what's important. I have an STI safety in my 1911 since it was what I had on my open gun and I never had problems w/ it there. So pure personal preference. This is where asking around at matches to check out guns at the safe table helps to see what you might like.

:puke:

ditto. mine are about 1/2 47d and half etm. I slightly prefer the etm for reasons Tim gave.

I hate paddle holsters.... a holster that really holds onto the belt, doesn't rock back and forth or shift up and down will do wonders for your draw consistency.

just since no one has mentioned it.... don't forget as you do your mods to make sure you stay w/in the weight limit (43oz iirc; it's in the book).
    see appendix D5
    http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

-rvb

So you like aftecs eh... HaHa

I agree mostly with you guys. Don't really care about ambi's one way or another mag wells for me is a must. Tripps and all Wilson mags have worked fine for me. I think I might like the trips best for a silly reason... The aftermarket base pads from Dawson that work with the no gap mag well are fatter then the Wilson's and I get a little better grip. A good trigger is nice but after shooting a Glock for so long any 1911 trigger still feels pretty nice to me. VZ grips are solid but if you don't care about looks I've turned into a grip tape guy.

That's one heck of a stash of mags Tim!

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Well I do understand that some factory extractors may work fine. I had issues at the beginning of the year last year. Had it tuned and working. It lasted about a month and was bent again. Gave me problems in several matches. I installed the aftec and have not had one problem. The brass comes out a lot more positively and if you standing still it will even put it all in one nice little pile for you. You would have to see the difference to understand but even though RVB feels like puking over one. I will disagree. They are worth the investment.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Well I do understand that some factory extractors may work fine. I had issues at the beginning of the year last year. Had it tuned and working. It lasted about a month and was bent again. Gave me problems in several matches. I installed the aftec and have not had one problem. The brass comes out a lot more positively and if you standing still it will even put it all in one nice little pile for you. You would have to see the difference to understand but even though RVB feels like puking over one. I will disagree. They are worth the investment.

true there are junk extractors out there that won't hold a set... I went though a couple wilsons before I gave up on them. STI and ed brown are ones I've had good luck with iirc. I also do quite a bit of work on them before I put them in, I don't just bend them and drop them in.

I don't have experience with aftecs, but I've watched so many people tank stages when one of the springs or spring caps decides to break it's scared me off of them. I don't think I saw any this last season, although Chris I just discussed having one puke on him a couple weeks ago on his enos diary...

while I've never felt a need to replace an extractor as preventative maintenance, I would replace the aftec or at least parts of it every year if I were to run one....

:twocents:

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In my experience, do not make the mistake of buying Wilson 8 shot mags. My gun will not strip the top round off the mag when it's loaded to 8 (with 15# recoil spring). Chip McCormick 8-rounders work just fine.

And there you go, I've used nothing but Wilson 8 shot mags. As long as I seated them on the slide down reload correctly, no issues. In a Norinco, Kimber and STI.

My opinion: The Tripp and Wilson ETM mags are nice, but if a .45ACP 1911 will not function properly with Wilson 47D mags loaded with 8 rounds (or CMC Power Mags), but it will work with other mags, I would look more closely at the gun. It's likely to be on the edge of just barely functioning and the other mags just happen to work with it. A well-built, reliable .45ACP 1911 should function with 47Ds (unless the specific mags have an issue like worn springs). They have been the standard for a lot of years for a reason.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    " I also do quite a bit of work on them before I put them in, I don't just bend them and drop them in. "

Ok so this would be something a guy would know about that just bought his first 1911. Now I have learned how to do this from my issues last year but it was quite frustrating learning the hard way.

Therefore my suggestion.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just got my first 1911, and I'm contemplating giving SS a go. What type of modifications are guys running on their SS pistols? I know I know; compete with what you've got. I'm just looking to get a general idea.
    I don't think anyone asked you what kind of 1911 you got before they started telling you what to change, you maybe good to go

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    My opinion: The Tripp and Wilson ETM mags are nice, but if a .45ACP 1911 will not function properly with Wilson 47D mags loaded with 8 rounds (or CMC Power Mags), but it will work with other mags, I would look more closely at the gun. It's likely to be on the edge of just barely functioning and the other mags just happen to work with it. A well-built, reliable .45ACP 1911 should function with 47Ds (unless the specific mags have an issue like worn springs). They have been the standard for a lot of years for a reason.

This is a good point for a beginner right here...sometimes you have to spend some money, to find out what works and what doesn't for your gun.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't think anyone asked you what kind of 1911 you got before they started telling you what to change, you maybe good to go

It started life as a basic Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. Churchmouse owned it for a while, and replaced a crapload of stuff on it. He then sold it to Halfmileharry, who carried it for years, before selling it to me.

This is what I've been told has been done to it, and I believe all the parts are Wilson unless otherwise noted:
    -Range Officer match barrel
    -hammer
    -sear
    -main spring
    -hammer spring
    -disconnector
    -disconnector spring
    -Nowlin barrel bushing
    -guide rod and plug
    -link and pin
    -beaver tail grip safety

I apologize if some of that doesn't make sense, it was what I was told when I bought it. I think a good starting point would be a magwell and possibly some f/o sights.

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It started life as a basic Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. Churchmouse owned it for a while, and replaced a crapload of stuff on it. He then sold it to Halfmileharry, who carried it for years, before selling it to me.

This is what I've been told has been done to it, and I believe all the parts are Wilson unless otherwise noted:
    -Range Officer match barrel
    -hammer
    -sear
    -main spring
    -hammer spring
    -disconnector
    -disconnector spring
    -Knowlin barrel bushing
    -guide rod and plug
    -link and pin
    -beaver tail grip safety

I apologize if some of that doesn't make sense, it was what I was told when I bought it. I think a good starting point would be a magwell and possibly some f/o sights.

order a magwell, Dawson, Techwell, Smith & Alexander etc

some mags and shoot that bastard

(and it is Nowlin)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    any magwell will do correct? There aren't any size restrictions?

handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16" x 6" x 1 5/8" (tolerance +1/16", -0") (8.938" x 6" x 1.625") (227.01mm x 152.40mm x 41.28mm)

Most of the dawson, techwell etc have/advertise magwells specifically for the division and should fit fine.

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16" x 6" x 1 5/8" (tolerance +1/16", -0") (8.938" x 6" x 1.625") (227.01mm x 152.40mm x 41.28mm)

Most of the dawson, techwell etc have/advertise magwells specifically for the division and should fit fine.

-rvb

The Dawson Ice Gap magwell me likey. But then there is the extended basepad thing (more $'s).

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

47d's usually function fine in terms of feeding ammunition, it's that they don't like to fully seat on a speed reload. That's why I'd NOT recommend them. That's the downside of trying to make a 7rd mag tube hold 8 rounds. There's no give when the top round hits the disconnector rail on insertion. It's a PITA and easily avoided by getting an 8rd mag that uses a longer tube, like the Tripp (my preference) or the ETM.

I don't use ambi safeties. Some people like them, but I've never found the need for them.
    After seeing 2 friends break 4 or 5 Aftecs in the last few months, I'm convinced they're junk.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Is there a best route for 5 mag pouches?

Was thinking about ordering a couple more Comp-tac singles (have three) while they are 13% off this weekend.

DAA Racers. A little spendy, but worth it.

A cheaper but still very good option is the CR Speed knock-offs ($15-18ish ea.) and the SSTK spacers from Shooters connection at $5 ea.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    DAA Racers. A little spendy, but worth it.

A cheaper but still very good option is the CR Speed knock-offs ($15-18ish ea.) and the SSTK spacers from Shooters connection at $5 ea.

Was wondering why I've never seen these in IDPA. Evidently screws or knobs could get you killed in a gun fight.
    Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Was wondering why I've never seen these in IDPA. Evidently screws or knobs could get you killed in a gun fight.
    Thanks!

As can wearing your gun forward of the side seam on your pants, apparently! It's impossible to conceal or use a gun from appendix position to defend yourself. Apparently!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    As can wearing your gun forward of the side seam on your pants, apparently! It's impossible to conceal or use a gun from appendix position to defend yourself. Apparently!

Well...I did hear about a guy one time who ejected a magazine on his foot, killing himself.

I sure am glad we have rulemakers at IDPA figuring out all this real-world stuff for us. It's hard to keep up with, you know?

Top Bottom