• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Member of my martial arts club was offered a position with ISP recently and is off to Plainfield in early May.

He is not set to graduate until later in the year, but what present would be most needed/useful/appreciated to a new ILEA grad?

Need not be gun related. Could be a multi-tool, or new briefcase, or new socks, or whatever.

INGO LEOs, if you were due to graduate, looking back, what would have been most helpful to you?

TIA.

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A nice patrol bag would be very helpful. It's something he'll use every day and they're a life saver. I use the 5.11 Wingman, and it works very well for me.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I typically get a guardian angel with the policemans prayer on it to hang in their car for friends or family after their graduation.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I will go against the grain here and say a good pair of sunglasses. Those are one of the things I wear almost every day for almost the whole day. The department should supply everything else he needs. The other suggestion would be a good folding knife since everybody needs one of those.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm disappointed no one has suggested jack boots yet.

I don't know what ISP issues or doesn't but a good rechargeable flashlight was something I used more than almost anything else when I was starting off and working patrol. There are much lighter and brighter options but if I were to go back to working patrol today I'd still carry my mag charger but with a Malkoff Devices LED conversion. The Mag is tough as nails and functions well as an emergency defensive tool if needed.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    A good rechargeable light - like a stinger (most important)

2 GOOD sets of cuffs - the asp lightweight blacks are the bees knees

A seat bag for his crap. Or a rear seat box for his crap.

A good sharp folding knife for seat belts.

2 Aluminum clipboard/document holders.

Gift certificate to Jenkins or US Uniform.

A set of rifle plates (mtek, Paraclete)

Kneeless taint scratching jackboots.

MRAP :)

if you narrow down down what you're gonna get him sent me a PM and I'll send you some good brands, pictures, and prices..

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Find out what issued gear he would like to immediately upgrade and purchase the best possible replacement for him. For me, it was my belt flashlight. jsharmon7 is spot on with the sunglasses, as well.

I will be graduating shortly after he arrives, so tell him good luck from 2017-211! (Tier-I, not ISP)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    i got a friend of mine a patrol bag, search gloves, 2 pair of cuffs (1 chain 1 hinge) and then one pair of fuzzy cuffs just to make it weird. I cant remember the brand of the search gloves but the name had something to do with a turtle, turtle skin maybe? i dont feel like googling it.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    My son graduates from IMPD academy in a few weeks. I got a Benchmade Triage rescue knife to give him at graduation to replace the $20 Kershaw he's been using during FTO.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom