• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My mother called Mr. Quick electric because the light on her garage door opener would not shut off. The electrician came out to her house today and he did fix the light on her garage door opener but also convinced her that she needed a whole home surge protector installed at her breaker box to the tune of over $300. I am not saying this is a bad thing to have but he had her believing she had to have this, not that it was an option she believed that she needed this to fix her garage door opener. That is absurd. It really pisses me off when someone takes advantage of a little old lady like this. When she called me and told me how much it cost I said MOM you could have bought and installed a whole new garage opener for less than that. My mother is 80 years old and pretty much clueless in situations like this. She lives on her social security and does not have a lot of money to spare. I called Mr. Quick electric and am waiting for a manager to call me back tomorrow. Buyers beware!!!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    My mother called Mr. Quick electric because the light on her garage door opener would not shut off. The electrician came out to her house today and he did fix the light on her garage door opener but also convinced her that she needed a whole home surge protector installed at her breaker box to the tune of over $300. I am not saying this is a bad thing to have but he had her believing she had to have this, not that it was an option she believed that she needed this to fix her garage door opener. That is absurd. It really pisses me off when someone takes advantage of a little old lady like this. When she called me and told me how much it cost I said MOM you could have bought and installed a whole new garage opener for less than that. My mother is 80 years old and pretty much clueless in situations like this. She lives on her social security and does not have a lot of money to spare. I called Mr. Quick electric and am waiting for a manager to call me back tomorrow. Buyers beware!!!

do you know the name of the Electrician that came out I now a manager and one of my good friends also works there. I can maybe help from another end.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    About a month or so ago I tried to get them to come out to give an estimate. They wanted to charge just for an estimate.

*may not of been the company referenced by the op, but I am 99% sure it was them.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    That's Mr. Quick for you. Always out to make a "Quick" buck. I have a friend who owns his own HVAC company and has customers who have told him they paid Mr. Quick $300 for what he will do for $75.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm in IT. Most of my customers, especially when they don't really understand the nature of their problem, only listen to about every third word when they ask me "So, what was wrong and what can I do to prevent it in the future?". They frequently mistake recommendations for hard, solid requirements, and a big part of my job is helping them to understand. Just saying that it's possible that there are two sides to the story.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I'm in IT. Most of my customers, especially when they don't really understand the nature of their problem, only listen to about every third word when they ask me "So, what was wrong and what can I do to prevent it in the future?". They frequently mistake recommendations for hard, solid requirements, and a big part of my job is helping them to understand. Just saying that it's possible that there are two sides to the story.

I work in the service business and could not agree more with this statement. I also know there are dirt bags out there that are getting a cut of what they sell and are only out for themselves.
    I hope it works out for you and your mom.

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When your dealing with an elderly woman by herself you should be extremely careful to clarify things and make sure your customer understands. Even the idea of taking advantage of the elderly or mentally susceptible makes me angrier than almost anything. I would do my best, understanding you are busy too, to try to be there when repairmen come by. That sucks.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    It is a possibility that she misunderstood what the technician told her, I mean she is 80 years old. But she was absolutely adamant with me on the phone that this was needed to fix the garage door opener light. She is old and can be a little gullible especially when it comes to electronics etc. but she is not senile or stupid. As far as the tech goes, maybe its company policy to offer this as an upgrade to customers but at the same time he should be certain that the customer actually has need of it. There are not a lot of people in their 80's that need extra surge protection to safeguard their expensive high tech equipment. My mother doesn't even know how to turn a computer on and her TV is 15 years old. What does she need surge protection for? I feel that she was taken advantage of and there isn't much worse someone can do in my mind than mess with my mom. I have a call into the company and a manager is supposed to contact me tomorrow, and my mother has promised me that in the future she will let me handle anything like this that may come up.

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is a possibility that she misunderstood what the technician told her, I mean she is 80 years old. But she was absolutely adamant with me on the phone that this was needed to fix the garage door opener light. She is old and can be a little gullible especially when it comes to electronics etc. but she is not senile or stupid. As far as the tech goes, maybe its company policy to offer this as an upgrade to customers but at the same time he should be certain that the customer actually has need of it. There are not a lot of people in their 80's that need extra surge protection to safeguard their expensive high tech equipment. My mother doesn't even know how to turn a computer on and her TV is 15 years old. What does she need surge protection for? I feel that she was taken advantage of and there isn't much worse someone can do in my mind than mess with my mom. I have a call into the company and a manager is supposed to contact me tomorrow, and my mother has promised me that in the future she will let me handle anything like this that may come up.

Your absolutely right to be upset. I would be too.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think it's likely that someone saw an easy mark. I hope you get everything worked out for her.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Yes this is how I see it. To be honest I kinda doubt they are going to be willing to do anything about it, in that case I will certainly make it my business to let everyone I possibly can know not to trust or support this company...

I think it's likely that someone saw an easy mark. I hope you get everything worked out for her.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    In my work I see mostly elderly people and most are on a weekly basis and in their homes. There are alot of people that try to take advantage of some of the customers I see. Everything from stealing pain pills and money to talking them into co-signing loans or selling them products they dont need or want. The sad part is most of this normally seems to be their family members doing it to them. Your mom is a very lucky woman to have a son that cares enough to stick up for her no matter what the outcome will be.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I love my mother she is one of the sweetest most caring, compassionate people I have ever met. Taking advantage of her is akin to stealing candy from a baby.

In my work I see mostly elderly people and most are on a weekly basis and in their homes. There are alot of people that try to take advantage of some of the customers I see. Everything from stealing pain pills and money to talking them into co-signing loans or selling them products they dont need or want. The sad part is most of this normally seems to be their family members doing it to them. Your mom is a very lucky woman to have a son that cares enough to stick up for her no matter what the outcome will be.

Top Bottom