• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I had the whole house surge protector installed by my local REMC and they charged 150+ for the part but installed it for free. We do have frequent lightning strikes, power spikes etc. It's possible that the electrician felt that the opener problem was related to a power surge. So if you add parts, service call and an hour or so labor then the charge is probably in line. My sure protector is between the house & the meter but there are different types. I'd check the part and the price.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I had the whole house surge protector installed by my local REMC and they charged 150+ for the part but installed it for free. We do have frequent lightning strikes, power spikes etc. It's possible that the electrician felt that the opener problem was related to a power surge. So if you add parts, service call and an hour or so labor then the charge is probably in line. My sure protector is between the house & the meter but there are different types. I'd check the part and the price.

The way it happened to go out in the op stinks big time... But if possible, try to look on the bright side of things through this mess. Sure the tv may be 15 years old... but how about a fridge or microwave or anything else that can get zapped.

Like i said before I do not like how this happened to your mother, but i would also try to look for the little good of it.... thats just my :twocents: *and you bet your behind id be calling and complaining as well*

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    It seems to be a trend nowadays for Plumbers, HVAC, Appliance Repair, even Dentists are being bought out by conglomerates and or have an association with a service group of some sort. I have found that these usually result in an overcharge for the work performed IMO. I had the misfortune of having a plumbing problem and called one of those We Guarantee Places, well the plumber didn't show up till the next day, they claimed that the guarantee did not apply and I was charged 500 dollars for a no more than 200 dollar job. I wasn't capable of the repair and it had to be done so I Paid. I too, do not like or prefer to use companies that charge service calls for an estimate. The whole surge protector is a good thing if that what indeed was installed. Was it prudent for an 80 year old on a fixed income, I do not know :dunno:

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I would imagine they would offer to come out and remove it and refund the price of it. Now, that has nothing to do with Mr. Quack's $69.99 estimate charge + the charge to change the light bulb. I'm guessing that'll still be a $100 lightbulb.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    We got burned last year on a thermostat repair. $280 for something I could have done for less than $100, but in January when you get home at 7pm to find your house at <40º is not the time to be learning how to troubleshoot and replace HVAC equipment. In the words of Dave Ramsey, I paid "stupid tax".

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    We got burned last year on a thermostat repair. $280 for something I could have done for less than $100, but in January when you get home at 7pm to find your house at <40º is not the time to be learning how to troubleshoot and replace HVAC equipment. In the words of Dave Ramsey, I paid "stupid tax".

Had the thermocouple go out on my boiler a couple years ago when the temp at night was in the negs.... 120 for a 5 dollar part sucked once I realized how simple it really is.

OP, sucks to hear, but I truly doubt they do anything more than a simple sorry over the phone.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Yes this is how I see it. To be honest I kinda doubt they are going to be willing to do anything about it, in that case I will certainly make it my business to let everyone I possibly can know not to trust or support this company...

You already have...at least 17,000 plus INGO members. Then take into account how many of those will tell non INGO members and I believe you and your mom just might get $300 worth of satisfaction knowing how much money in future business Mr. Quick has lost.:D

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    After speaking with the manager from Mr. Quick and then also talking to my mother again it seems this is more a case of her not really understanding than it was a case of them trying to rip her off. It is their company policy to offer recommendations for upgrades that they feel would be a benefit to the customer.

The problem with the opener was a simple adjustment of the sensor. The only thing she was charged for was the cost of the surge protector $299 the installation and the service call were covered under her contract.

The manager from Mr. Quick was very understanding and co-operative we went over the invoice and there was nothing misleading or otherwise out of context, my mother signed it and even gave the repairman kudos for the job he had done. She is under contract with the company for the next two years where they come out and take care of routine maintenance a few times a year, this is not charged for as it is part of the contract. The contract also covers service calls so there is no charge for that either.

I was able to set it up so that in the future no service will be preformed without my first being notified and giving the go ahead, so at least I wont have to worry about this sort of thing in the future.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    After speaking with the manager from Mr. Quick and then also talking to my mother again it seems this is more a case of her not really understanding than it was a case of them trying to rip her off. It is their company policy to offer recommendations for upgrades that they feel would be a benefit to the customer.

The problem with the opener was a simple adjustment of the sensor. The only thing she was charged for was the cost of the surge protector $299 the installation and the service call were covered under her contract.

The manager from Mr. Quick was very understanding and co-operative we went over the invoice and there was nothing misleading or otherwise out of context, my mother signed it and even gave the repairman kudos for the job he had done. She is under contract with the company for the next two years where they come out and take care of routine maintenance a few times a year, this is not charged for as it is part of the contract. The contract also covers service calls so there is no charge for that either.

I was able to set it up so that in the future no service will be preformed without my first being notified and giving the go ahead, so at least I wont have to worry about this sort of thing in the future.

That's some good news!
    *I still won't use them because of the estimate fees*

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My mother called Mr. Quick electric because the light on her garage door opener would not shut off. The electrician came out to her house today and he did fix the light on her garage door opener but also convinced her that she needed a whole home surge protector installed at her breaker box to the tune of over $300. I am not saying this is a bad thing to have but he had her believing she had to have this, not that it was an option she believed that she needed this to fix her garage door opener. That is absurd. It really pisses me off when someone takes advantage of a little old lady like this. When she called me and told me how much it cost I said MOM you could have bought and installed a whole new garage opener for less than that. My mother is 80 years old and pretty much clueless in situations like this. She lives on her social security and does not have a lot of money to spare. I called Mr. Quick electric and am waiting for a manager to call me back tomorrow. Buyers beware!!!

Mr. Quick is Mr. Scam. They do have upfront pricing. I had an electrical issue where I lost power to the bedroom. For days I wondered what it could be. He started to test outlets and such, was getting ready to do more test and pull wires then I remember the outdoor GCFI outlet and how it was on the same wall between the outlet that had power and the one that didn't. A very costly lesson learned, as that is exactly what it was. To his credit, he did switch the outlet around so that it would still trip, just not protect the other outlets down the line. His sales pitch was also a surge protector at the box. He then even commented on upgrading my box but said it was pricy.

I won't ever call them again. My rule of thumb with companies that advertise so much: They are costly because they need more money to pay for all the mailings, TV spots, and radio spots. You are better off calling a few local companies from phone book listings.

On edit: Wanted to add that $300 for the surge doesn't sound all that bad. The halfway decent "surge protectors" you get at Walmart are going for around $30-$40. I have about five, so that right there is $150-$200 for surge protection. At least with the whole house thing you could just by the outlet strip for $10. So I guess it isn't too much of a rip-off.

Top Bottom