• ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    @silverado

I believe that a cop should be alert and look for signs that an encounter might turn deadly,

Should motorist be alert and look for signs that an encounter might be deadly with an officer just like Officer Friendly that we are discussing?

but I doubt that they view every single person as a murderer.

Since I didn't ask this your answer is meaningless. What I actually asked, and you won't answer, is "Do you believe that cops believe that every person that they stop for any reason is automatically viewed by the cop as having the potential to murder him? It's a simple yes or no question."

It seems to me that someone who thinks like that turns into the type of cop that you see on the Canton video. He is clearly freaked out that anyone but him has a gun, and he needs to find another line of work. He clearly can't handle the job that he was hired to do.

Still has nothing to do with what I asked.

Personally, I carry just about everywhere that I legally can. When I'm out and about, I tend to be alert, and note people who may be a potential threat.

Do you, in the least teeny tiny bit consider a policeman who is standing over you with a gun, that you don't know, have never, ever once encountered before, as a "potential threat"?

As far as the Canton officer, I wonder if he saw combat as a Marine, and if it affected him negatively. This guy doesn't need to be a cop anymore, but he may also be suffering psychologically. His behavior certainly wasn't rational.

Agree on that.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    You had better know it. If not they have absolutely no business in this occupation. That doesn't mean your treat all persons like a murderer but you better be having a plan B.

Now I know some on here will twist this around to fit their anti LEO agenda but it is what it is.:twocents:

Just wanted to make the point that if it is considered reasonable and right in the LEO community to have that attitude then why do so many of them have the problem viewing us as having the same exact reason for seeing them in the same "potential" light.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As others have said, LEOs must make some hard choices to call out and expose the abuses that they witness. I would like to think good cops would do this without the leverage of video evidence. In fact, that's part of my definition of a good cop.

The non-LE community needs to put pressure on the city and LE brass to hold rogue officers and the complicit witnesses accountable. We are doing this by contacting Canton PD, the mayor's office, and even the visitors' bureau. We must also continue to treat individual LEOs with respect and humanity — any one of them might be the one saving our necks the next night.

Personally, though, I have to admit that the situations like we've seen with the Canton PD, and the unforutnate reactions we've seen from annonymous LEOs out there on other forums, have affected me such that my interactions with LEOs will be MUCH more cautious and reserved. I always try to be friendly and courteous, but I'm definitely going to be less inclined to chat or provide any information outside that which is necessary for the encounter.

It's not that I don't trust any individual LEO. But I am the sole keeper of my rights and my safety. It's my responsibility, not yours.

All IMO, of course.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Well stated SirRealism

Indeed so, and repped.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Am I the only one that doesn't think that the "pimp" was let go? He was in the back of the squad car and the long gap in the video explains that it is due to them trying to find info on "Jerry Gordon". He was taken to the back of the car about the same time or right before the drive is pulled from the car.

They definitely did let the girl go with a warning not be seen around there again or she would receive lumps. But the guy was detained I think. Several references here to him being released just doesn't fit with what I saw and read.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Am I the only one that doesn't think that the "pimp" was let go? He was in the back of the squad car and the long gap in the video explains that it is due to them trying to find info on "Jerry Gordon". He was taken to the back of the car about the same time or right before the drive is pulled from the car.

They definitely did let the girl go with a warning not be seen around there again or she would receive lumps. But the guy was detained I think. Several references here to him being released just doesn't fit with what I saw and read.

"Lumps" is slang for charges not physical lumps.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Then it's changed since I was a cop. Lumps meant exactly that, LUMPS as in from my baton (or maglight, or fist, etc. etc - heck some guys still carried slap jacks) making contact with your head or other various parts of your body.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would dispute that the incidents are happening more frequently. I think if anything the behaviour of police is become more professional with increased training standards. However, the training does still reflect a hyperaggressive attitude especially since 9/11 and the poison that the feds are teaching is filtering down to state and local agencies at times.

The increased use of cameras makes it seem like the overreactions are happening more and more. Once these incidents are brought to light and properly prosecuted the incidents will become fewer and fewer.

Cameras are the new guns as they show what happened and we know why law enforcement fights the use of video so vigorously.

Wait and see what happens in Canton. Learn from it as it teaches several important lessons.

Last edited:

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Oh, well, that makes it all right then. Good thing the officer clarified it to the person he was talking to, otherwise it would've sounded an awful lot like threatening physical violence, and goodness knows those police would never stoop to such a level!

(edit) also, "I should have taken 2 steps back, put 10 rounds in your ass and left you lying there" is departmental slang for "I respect you and your second amendment rights. Would you like a cup of coffee?"
    See? Guys, calm down, close thread, it's all been just a big misunderstanding!

Last edited:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I haven't lost any trust in cops any more than I have the U.S. Marines, as Harless was both.

This guy was way out of line, but one bad cop does not make all cops bad, just as one nut who shoots up a school does not make all gun owners bad.

Marines don't have the power to steal my gun and throw me in jail. It wasn't just one bad cop. It was two bad cops, a bad Chief, and a bad prosecutor, at least.

Good. Now teach her that the best way to avoid ANY encounter with a potentially psycho cop is to obey the law and avoid consorting with known criminals.

Like parking your car off the side of a PUBLIC road at night, talking to other adults? This is the United States, that shouldn't be suspicious.

I believe that a cop should be alert and look for signs that an encounter might turn deadly, but I doubt that they view every single person as a murderer.

How many cops do you know that walk around unarmed? If they don't think we're all threats, then why do they carry armor and arms? I carry a gun because I view all people I don't know as a threat. What's wrong with that?

HAHAHA! What is "Want me to put my gun to your head!?" slang for?

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Well it appears that the Canton facebook page is still down. The office PD webpage is up but makes no mention of this incident. A couple things come to mind: 1st - During times on wildly increased web activity, web pages cannot handle the load. Either that or they just couldn't stand the heat. In any case, the Canton PD web signature has been negated. 2nd - Mr Jackwagon has done more to destroy any faith in the Canton department. I'm sure for the most part, there are plenty of good LEO's on the department. Unfortunately we can't tell who they are. This feeling bleeds over to leo's everywhere........The thin blue line is fading!!!!!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member