• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

To Scutter01,

I get how you are feeling. Not the best end for someone with that lack of discipline.

At least it appears that the city has tried to do the right thing by getting rid of a loose cannon. Sometimes the best we can do still sucks.

I am content that this man will probably not have undue authority over anyone else again!

Regards,

Doug

No, I do not believe that the city has done the right thing at all. The city ducked responsibility and mismanaged the case right from Day One. The reason that the arbitrator ruled for reinstatement in the first place was because Canton hadn't fired other officers who behaved this way. Just let that sink in. OTHER OFFICERS WHO ABUSED THEIR AUTHORITY WERE ALLOWED TO KEEP THEIR JOBS. Let me remind you that it took several weeks of VERY public pressure before Canton would even admit that the Harless thing was even a problem. They closed their Facebook comments and refused to respond to inquiries. They have a history of ignoring or even condoning the actions of the "bad apples" and it's gotten so bad that it is now systemic. They literally cannot legally do anything about the problem anymore. Had the city ever done the right thing, they would not be in the mess that they are in. The entire command staff of Canton's police force needs to be terminated for gross negligence and dereliction of duty for ever allowing things to get this bad. Furthermore, they didn't get rid of him. They paid him a year's salary to go away. This "loose cannon" can still carry a gun anywhere and everywhere for the rest of his life. He can (and probably will) still be able to work as a police officer in another town.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No, I do not believe that the city has done the right thing at all. The city ducked responsibility and mismanaged the case right from Day One. The reason that the arbitrator ruled for reinstatement in the first place was because Canton hadn't fired other officers who behaved this way. Just let that sink in. OTHER OFFICERS WHO ABUSED THEIR AUTHORITY WERE ALLOWED TO KEEP THEIR JOBS. Let me remind you that it took several weeks of VERY public pressure before Canton would even admit that the Harless thing was even a problem. They closed their Facebook comments and refused to respond to inquiries. They have a history of ignoring or even condoning the actions of the "bad apples" and it's gotten so bad that it is now systemic. They literally cannot legally do anything about the problem anymore. Had the city ever done the right thing, they would not be in the mess that they are in. The entire command staff of Canton's police force needs to be terminated for gross negligence and dereliction of duty for ever allowing things to get this bad. Furthermore, they didn't get rid of him. They paid him a year's salary to go away. This "loose cannon" can still carry a gun anywhere and everywhere for the rest of his life. He can (and probably will) still be able to work as a police officer in another town.

To Scutter01,

I stand corrected sir.

I hope that other LE with better HR departments look hard at him before allowing him any authority again.

Regards,

Doug

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

To Scutter01,

I stand corrected sir.

I hope that other LE with better HR departments look hard at him before allowing him any authority again.

Regards,

Doug

Realistically, I don't think he's ever going to work as a cop again. His name is now Mud and will come up in even the most cursory Google search, let alone a background check. That said, for this ****stain to get a fat payday from the citizens he abused and to get it because of the gross incompetence of the city and the pervasive and institutionalized corruption of his fellow officers pisses me off to no end.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Why does he get the $40K, fire his sorry ass excuse for a LEO and be done with him.

Edit:: I realize that he WAS fired and they were forced to rehire him and basically strike a deal, but let's get real. Why does a man, who acted illegally and unethically, get a $40K check for being a dumbass?
    I'm sure the unions had everything to do with this. Very hard to get rid of city, county, state and federal workers. You'd be shocked if you read one of these contracts.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'm sure the unions had everything to do with this. Very hard to get rid of city, county, state and federal workers. You'd be shocked if you read one of these contracts.
    You are very incorrect. Its not hard at all to "get rid" of a federal employee. There are quite a few infractions in my agency that can lead directly to termination.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You are very incorrect. Its not hard at all to "get rid" of a federal employee. There are quite a few infractions in my agency that can lead directly to termination.
    That cop wasn't a federal employee. He was local and was likely a member of their police union. We've seen this many times in the past. The union puts the screws to the locals and they have to hire back or pay off a bad cop. It's almost impossible in many jurisdictions to get rid of problem cops with finality.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    That cop wasn't a federal employee. He was local and was likely a member of their police union. We've seen this many times in the past. The union puts the screws to the locals and they have to hire back or pay off a bad cop. It's almost impossible in many jurisdictions to get rid of problem cops with finality.
    Yer kiddin...DUH! There is no such thing as a state, city, county police officer that is Federal...hence the reason I jumped on Skulldaddy's statement "Very hard to get rid of city, county, state and federal workers. You'd be shocked if you read one of these contracts." I simply debunked the Federal part of his statement which just proves how little he truly knows about Federal service and is obviously talking about something he has no knowledge of.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd say it depends on the locality and the judgment of the brass. Call me crazy, but I don't think there's a contract in existence that would've protected that kind of misbehaviour. The arbitrator ' s craziness ought to bring the citizens out of the woodwork in an uproar that this kind of insanity is not only tolerated, but has become institutionalized.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'd say it depends on the locality and the judgment of the brass. Call me crazy, but I don't think there's a contract in existence that would've protected that kind of misbehaviour. The arbitrator ' s craziness ought to bring the citizens out of the woodwork in an uproar that this kind of insanity is not only tolerated, but has become institutionalized.
    +1
    If i would have went off on someone like that in my agency (which is not law enforcement), I would not have a job there anymore. And I expect everyone in my agency to be dealt with exactly like that if they were to go off on someone like that. And a big huge FYI....I am the Indiana Chapter President for the federal union for technicians in the FAA and I am great friends with the District Union Rep. and can assure you it would not fly with him either.

Top Bottom