• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My dad remembered blue sea over the bow and spray that went over the ship from bow to stern on his WWII DE. ...

My dad (then Army Air Forces) returned from the Pacific Theater of Operations after the end of WWII on the battleship Wisconsin. I remember he commented that when they were in heavy seas, the smaller ships around them would bob up and down on top of the waves, but the Wisconsin would plow straight through them. I think he was glad he was on the battleship, altho I have to think space was cramped.

ETA: Almost completely unrelated factoid: My sister has a newspaper that was published on the Wisconsin as Dad rode it back to the states. It lists all the troops on board being returned. A great many of them were going back to Indiana. [/factoid]

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah, but, my God man! The amount of energy needed to do that!

The power that ship has is amazing!

The last of the oil-fired carriers were officially rated at 280,000 horsepower (4 shafts at 70,000 each) and the nukes would need a bit more than that to do what they are officially acknowledged to be capable of doing and would need at least double that to do some of the things that people directly connected with them claim they are capable of doing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's also surprising how fast nuclear powered carriers are. When I live in California and the USS Enterprise was stationed there, some of the guys from that boat told me that none of the support ships in their group could keep the pace if they went to full speed. They only used two of the eight reactors at a time and claimed it could make 55 mph. I think 40 mph is more realistic (I could be wrong), but that's still damn fast for something that big on top of the water.

Admiral Rickover, who was in charge of nuclear propulsion at the time, was well known for being eccentric and insisted that the Enterprise have a reactor for every boiler in a conventional carrier, which was, to say the least, excessive. As a result, the Enterprise was to the best of my knowledge the fastest ship ever built even without using more than 4 reactors at any given time. I would speculate that truly opening it up would have either destroyed the turbines or broken up the hull, whichever came first.

Going from memory, I recall that examples of cruisers with top speeds about 32 knots would make 28 or 29 knots at half power, and cruisers have much finer hull lines, hence less resistance, than carriers. As speed increases incrementally, the power required to attain that speed increases at a far greater multiplicative rate such that for a straight line slope on the graph of increased speed, you will have a corresponding ski-jump type curve representing the associated increase in power.

In any event, we are talking about amounts of power that would defy most people's understanding, much in the same way that we can discuss trillions of dollars but still can't really wrap our heads around how much money that truly is.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    The last of the oil-fired carriers were officially rated at 280,000 horsepower (4 shafts at 70,000 each) and the nukes would need a bit more than that to do what they are officially acknowledged to be capable of doing and would need at least double that to do some of the things that people directly connected with them claim they are capable of doing.

The JFK was the last conventionally powered carrier.

Don

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yep, I've also heard from voices with experience that if the battle group took off the carrier was last to get moving but caught up with and passed the others shortly.

much like bulluts, long thin aspect ratio has a better BC. long thin hulls have less resistance in water as well. While the turns are impressive, keep on mind the scale: they won't be evading anything mobile. Those turns are miles long and wide and take several minutes. The ship's 1/5 mile long!

yea, salinity affects density, thus draft, thus resistance, thus top speed. Barnacles and the like on the hull would increase resistance. Makes sense that a military ship would post the top speed in conditions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If only rich people could and would purchase decommissioned nulcear carriers and then drag race them against each other as well as other big ships.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    The speed was listed at Shaft RPM for the props.

The first time they did high speed run when I was on board, they announced " Stand by for emergency reverse!!".

Didn't feel a thing, took so much to decelerate and get going astern that there was not a real sensation of change.

Full speed was impressive from the fantail. The roller following the ship was almost as high as the deck behind the jet engine shop. Say 40-50 feet??

Don

Top Bottom