• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I spent a good part of last week in Fort Leonard Wood, MO for my son's graduation from basic training (HOOOOAH!). While I could carry either open or concealed in Missouri, carrying on post was, of course, prohibited. Transporting the weapon in the car was not an issue so long as the weapon and ammo were separated. I was never queried, however, about the presence of firearms on entering the post.

For those wo are currently serving in or retired from the military, and who find themselves in the Rolla-St Robert-Waynesville, MO area, there is a Privately Owned Weapon (POW) available on post at no charge. All you have to do is sign in and out at Range Control. The Range Control folks were friendly and helpful.

The range is totally outdoors, no shelter is available. Firers run the range, no range officer is assigned. There are approximately a dozen firing points. The range runs out to about 100 meters and there seems to be no restriction on the calibers which can be fired there. We were shooting .45, but others were firing .30-06 and 12 gauge shotguns (mebbe 5.56 as well).

We had a ball. My son got to shoot my new 1911 for the first time.

Oh...and did I mention he's officially a soldier and that I'm immensely proud of him carrying on a afamily tradition? I didn't? Well, I am. HOOOOAH! if you read this, Son.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I went through Basic and AIT at Fort Leonard Wood. For some reason, I have no desire to ever return LOL.

Congrats to your son, and send him our thanks!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I went through Basic and AIT at Fort Leonard Wood. For some reason, I have no desire to ever return LOL.

Congrats to your son, and send him our thanks!

I, too, went to basic at Fort Lost-in-the-Woods (F-4-2, class of November 1966) and had not been back until about 5 years ago. We were heading west on vacation, and I decided to take a side trip and see if I could find my old company area. Drove right to the location, but all the old barracks, mess hall and admin/supply building were long gone. Strangely enough they had not erected a monument or even a plaque. Obviously an oversight. :patriot:

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I went through AIT (Pioneer School) at Fort Lost in the Woods (aka "Little Korea") in the 1960's. Remember "Bloodlands", Waynesville, etc. - I too have no desire to go back. This was my last stop before Vietnam. I recall taking a two week orientation course for Vietnam in the snow and cold of central Missouri.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Congrats to your son!!!

One of my best friends recently graduated BT / AIT there a few months ago. He's a 31-B.

-J-

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I, too, went to basic at Fort Lost-in-the-Woods (F-4-2, class of November 1966) and had not been back until about 5 years ago. We were heading west on vacation, and I decided to take a side trip and see if I could find my old company area. Drove right to the location, but all the old barracks, mess hall and admin/supply building were long gone. Strangely enough they had not erected a monument or even a plaque. Obviously an oversight. :patriot:

I may have blown it up during AIT... premature detonation, ya know :D

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Congrats to your son. Always glad to see the younger generation wanting to help protect this nation and replace us older dogs.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Congrats and Thanks,

Congratulations to your son and thanks to you and your family for raising another great American. I understand the immense pride you feel and will include him in my prayers for all of our troops. I'm certain the 1911 was a joy to shoot after the 92 he had to endure. Hooah:patriot:

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ah, nostalgia; I too did Pioneer AIT at Lost In The Woods, way back. I lived in a snow bank for two months. While I have no desire to see it ever again, I'll never forget two remarkable days at a motel in Waynesville. It had an indoor - outdoor pool; and that's all I'm going to admit to.;)

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I went to basic at ft Leonard wood. I'm still here for ait. I'm a 21e which is a 12n. So he is in the same place I am! Is he in alpha or hotel? I graduate the 19 though so I'm almost done! I was in a basic training unit that was 21 b and it was nuts! Engineers hooah!

Top Bottom