• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Unless you are really going for the gusto, there isn't much difference in cars anymore.

From entry level up to about mid level, you get the same seats, the same dash, the same gizmos, the same engines, the same transmissions, and everything is globally sourced and assembled.

Having said all of that, VW's overall strategy is world domination. That is why they own so much interest in so many companies. The VW umbrella covers Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche, Ducati, MAN, Scania, SEAT, and Skoda. That is just the companies where they have controlling interest. An Alliance with Ford would definitely move them in the direction they want to go.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've worked on mainly MINI's since '04, and I can tell you there's parts from all over the world in that car. Aisin transmission, Bosch electronics, for that matter the 03-09 had Daimler Chrysler engines, and the 09-14 had Peugeot/BMW joint venture engines in them. If memory serves that last build sheet I saw said <15% assembled in England.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The casting plant in Bedford, the stamping plant in Marion (I think that's the town), Ft Wayne, and if you count the Kokomo plant (it was part of Delphi but I think GM took it back over but I could be off on that).

Chrysler has two plants in Indiana that I know of. They are up in Kokomo too.

Fiat/Chrysler has “4” in this area, Kokomo has a casting plant, assembly plant next door, a north assembly plant, and Tipton recently opened another plant. (I’m not sure what they do there)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Fiat/Chrysler has “4” in this area, Kokomo has a casting plant, assembly plant next door, a north assembly plant, and Tipton recently opened another plant. (I’m not sure what they do there)

Maybe incorrectly, I was counting the two next door to each other as one. I did not know about the one in Tipton though. I've been to the Kokomo plant(s) a couple of times.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    From entry level up to about mid level, you get the same seats, the same dash, the same gizmos, the same engines, the same transmissions, and everything is globally sourced and assembled.

I know that ZF makes transmissions for a crap ton of vehicles... And Aisin makes another crap ton of transmissions for other vehicles.

But when it comes to me comparing mid-size sedan to mid-sized sedan: No CVT for me. Which is unfortunate - because I wouldn't mind having a Subaru Forester, Legacy, or Outback. Or a more economical Accord (The new 10spd auto isn't an option until you step into the 2.0L Turbo engine on the Sport trim - and that's like a $4500 price increase over the same car with the CVT. :-( So - I'm looking at a Camry with it's 8-spd auto instead.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Five.

Kokomo casting plant
    Kokomo transmission plant
    Indiana transmission plant 1
    Indiana transmission plant 2
    Tipton transmission plant

Tipton builds nine speed automatics.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Five.

Kokomo casting plant
    Kokomo transmission plant
    Indiana transmission plant 1
    Indiana transmission plant 2
    Tipton transmission plant

Tipton builds nine speed automatics.

Ah, I thought 1 was south and 2 was the north plant.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I know that ZF makes transmissions for a crap ton of vehicles... And Aisin makes another crap ton of transmissions for other vehicles.

But when it comes to me comparing mid-size sedan to mid-sized sedan: No CVT for me. Which is unfortunate - because I wouldn't mind having a Subaru Forester, Legacy, or Outback. Or a more economical Accord (The new 10spd auto isn't an option until you step into the 2.0L Turbo engine on the Sport trim - and that's like a $4500 price increase over the same car with the CVT. :-( So - I'm looking at a Camry with it's 8-spd auto instead.

ZF makes the bulletproof 6 speed auto for my 2006 BMW 330i. Good stuff.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    ZF makes the bulletproof 6 speed auto for my 2006 BMW 330i. Good stuff.

Apparent, and just like any manufacturer, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Some maker's ZFs are good - some aren't so good. This may be due to the specified design specs, controlling software, ancillary hardware, or combinations of all those things and others.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Me and my family have driven GM for a long time and honestly has always been good products and when I compare the purchase cost I do not see some huge savings to go Asian. I have seen many people with Asian cars that supposedly have lots of miles but honestly the car is wore out. They are horrible to ride in and stuff seats and interior is just broken down. Also most new small Asian cars people brag on to me are ugly, uncomfortable, do not ride well, noisey when driven on the highway. However most of the american cars I drive are usuually much better on all of those components. I travel a lot for work and rent a lot of cars and I have always been much happier to be in a big 3 vehicle and that is not a bias just honest opinion from my experiences.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I got turned off by German cars when the VW dealer charged me 150 dollars to replace a headlight in my wife's 2001 bug that I couldn't replace myself.
    I remember the service guy telling me that lights are a safety item so no appointment is needed. I told him I would get rid of the car before I paid another 150 to replace a headlight.
    When I sold the car it had 1 headlight, 1 foglight, and 1 taillight out.

Wife drives a paid for 2006 Durango with 155,000 on the clock with no mechanical problems and I drive a paid for 1999 F250 diesel with 221,000 with no mechanical issues.

We have no desire to ever have car payments again and are taking steps to ensure that we can pay cash for a older vehicle when one of ours go bye bye. -Jason

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I must return to this thread for the purpose of calling myself out for a big fib I told. It also helps to illustrate the point that others have been making about how interrelated all of the companies have become.

I stated up thread that "I would never, EVER, buy another automobile from an American corporation." I truly meant it when I wrote it too. Then, yesterday, I had to go somewhere and while getting into my Chevy Spark it suddenly dawned on me that the last car I bought was a Chevy!

I have always thought of the car as South Korean. It was originally designed and built by Daewoo in South Korea. GM simply bought the company and markets it. Consequently, when I bought it, it didn't really bother me that it was violating my principals or anything, nor did it occur to me what I had done when I was writing that I wouldn't buy GM again. Doh!

Oddly enough, I just Googled the Spark again to double check how much GM was involved and discovered that the actual designer is Italian rather than South Korean!

I was never really a fan of Daewoo, or the Spark, it was simply that it was available at too good of a price to pass up, and it suited my needs. The car is really a no frills car, no power anything and a manual transmission. Someone had ordered it and decided after 6,000 miles that they didn't like a manual, so the dealer was desperate to get rid of it. It is grossly under powered, doesn't really do anything well, but the fuel mileage is off-the-charts and it makes me smile every time I drive it. Especially when I fill it up!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    1996 Saturn SW2- My son still drives it, about 90,000 miles.

I've got a 1996 SL2, 230,00 miles. Starts every time, all that's ever been done to it is standard maintenance/wear parts (tires/brakes/etc) and a water pump. It's a beater but I won't get rid of it until it dies.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I got turned off by German cars when the VW dealer charged me 150 dollars to replace a headlight in my wife's 2001 bug that I couldn't replace myself.
    I remember the service guy telling me that lights are a safety item so no appointment is needed. I told him I would get rid of the car before I paid another 150 to replace a headlight.
    When I sold the car it had 1 headlight, 1 foglight, and 1 taillight out.

Wife drives a paid for 2006 Durango with 155,000 on the clock with no mechanical problems and I drive a paid for 1999 F250 diesel with 221,000 with no mechanical issues.

We have no desire to ever have car payments again and are taking steps to ensure that we can pay cash for a older vehicle when one of ours go bye bye. -Jason

My last VW Jetta was built in Mexico, where they installed the oil rings upside down. So, it burnt oil and fouled the CAT, which made it throw a code. Then it had an injector wire harness rub through and intermittently short out. I hated that car, but the guys at Falcone in speedway were top notch. Oh, one of the power windows also fell off the track (plastic clip broke). I forgot I had to replace the thermostat, which is located in the dumbest place imaginable.

Garbage vehicle. Best day in my life when I sold it.

I have a 2003 focus that still runs with over 200,000 miles. I have done an alternator at 150k, a rear wheel bearing at 75k, and a couple of ignition coils. It needs new exhaust and suspension work now. Not a bad vehicle, and I would definitely stack it up against a German or Asian counter-part.

I have a 2013 Focus also, and aside from the garbage Dual Clutch Transmission isn't bad. I believe that is a German designed car if I'm not mistaken.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've got a 1996 SL2, 230,00 miles. Starts every time, all that's ever been done to it is standard maintenance/wear parts (tires/brakes/etc) and a water pump. It's a beater but I won't get rid of it until it dies.

Same here. I bought this car on its reputation for longevity, 25,000 miles ago, for my son to drive when he got his license. It will be passed down through all of mu kids assuming it doesn't get wrecked. Yes, 1 water pump, the belt tensioner and resealing the valve cover. Other than that- perfect. 30+ MPG.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Same here. I bought this car on its reputation for longevity, 25,000 miles ago, for my son to drive when he got his license. It will be passed down through all of mu kids assuming it doesn't get wrecked. Yes, 1 water pump, the belt tensioner and resealing the valve cover. Other than that- perfect. 30+ MPG.

Mine my MiL bought new and drove until she wanted something newer, gave it to my SiL who did the same and gave it back, it was then passed on to my SiL step daughter who drove it until it was "stolen" (read boyfriend traded it for drugs). It was still in the MiL name so she reported it stolen and it was recovered from a known drug dealer who "found it on the side of the road with the keys in it". It sat in her garage for a a year or two until my son got his license and was told if he wanted to do the brakes/tires/battery/etc it was his to drive. Now it's mine. It does need valve cover gaskets. It goes through about a 1/2 qt between oil changes so...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The wife's 2009 Touareg was handed down to our son to drive to school. That is one hell of a off-road vehicle even though we never took it off road. It has quite a bit more ground clearance than your typical 4x4 and it's AWD system is stout. We bought the wife a 2011 Jetta TDI and love it. This Jetta is the wife's 4th '85, '96, 2002, and 2011. Loved them all. I love my 330i but a really miss my 1993 Passat GLX Vr6 that I sold in 2005. Love my German cars.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ... Love my German cars.

I have a love/hate relationship with my German car. It's an Audi. I love to drive it. Especially when it snows. Unless the snow is over the hood, I prefer it to my 3/4 ton, 4X4 truck. But quality wise, it's disappointing. If I couldn't work on it myself, it would have been gone years ago, or I'd be broke. I've nursed it to nearly 200K miles, but it hasn't been easy.

Now the leather seats are splitting and cracking, the headliner started falling down, the exhaust is shot, again. The passenger window won't go down, I think a front wheel bearing is growling, and it's starting to rust. My wife's Lexus is close in age and over 200K miles. It still looks like it did the day we bought it.

All that said, my next car will probably be another Audi.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom