Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Here is a little tidbit I found from the FCC:

PUBLIC NOTICE
    FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
    Released: December 9, 1996 DA 96-2040 The FCC continues to receive many inquiries about regulations governing police radar, radar detectors, and other radar devices used to measure the speed of an object. This Notice explains the scope of FCC regulation over these devices. It updates and supersedes the Public Notice on the same subject dated August 1, 1985. Radar units are transceivers, i.e. they both transmit and receive a signal, and operate under rules for the Radiolocation Service contained in Part 90 of the FCC's Rules. As such, they are certified and authorized by the FCC under Parts 2 and 90 of the FCC's Rules. Part 90 specifies the frequencies and technical standards for radar units, but does not address how radar units are to be operated as devices to measure an object's speed. Also, the FCC Rules do not contain provisions concerning the calibration of radar units, the reliability of the readings, or operator capability requirements. Radar units are used by police and other public safety agencies to measure vehicle speeds. Under Part 90 of the rules, licensees in the Public Safety Radio Pool (such as state or local government entities), that already have a FCC license for a radio communications system, may operate radar units without obtaining a separate license for them. Radar units may also be used under Part 90 by non-public safety entities such as professional baseball teams, tennis clubs, automobile and boat racing organizations, private transportation firms, railroads, etc., to measure the speed of objects or vehicles. Non-public safety

users, however, are required to obtain a Part 90 license from the Commission for use of radar units.

Note the last part of the above FCC statement: Non-public safety users, however, are required to obtain a Part 90 license from the Commission for use of radar units. So, if you see any bored Carmel moms running radar on you, stop and ask them if they have an FCC license to operate their little toys. If not, file a complaint with the FCC about the non-licensed use of a radar gun. Maybe a speeding ticket is $188, but an FCC ticket frequently starts at $10,000.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just how are they getting the contact info of the speeder to write that letter? It is my understanding that certain criteria have to be met to run a plate in the system. If I had a Leo buddy run a plate for me, he could get in trouble, couldn't he?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    These "stay at home moms" were doing this in my parents neighborhood years back. What a JOKE. Leave that to LEOs. Hell every Carmel police car has a radar in it we don't need people standing on street corning trying to "scare" us into slowing down. I'd bet money those citizens running radar drive more than 25 down the street!

2 radars :D

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    How about setting a speedtrap, getting a license plate number and calling the the real police when somebody is speeding, at the do-gooder's discretion of course.

Would you call the cops on somebody for going 10 over?

If there was a speed issue in my area I would call. Oh I have called.
    State road 500ft from my drive. Cars passed me on that road doing 70 to 80 in the 55 all the time. I have called on them before when they make unsafe passes and come close to running me and others off the road.
    Even followed some and got their plate number.
    Had one turn around follow me in my drive after pulling out in front of me . I guess he didn't like me honking my horn at him after the near wreck.

Some people just don't like their illegal activites pointed out.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Some folks should take a trip to Asia and see what happens when no one obeys the laws on the streets. If you do not want momma ratting you out, stay out of the neighborhood or stay under the speed limit. The moms are worried about their little darlings making it home from school in one piece. Isn't that Rule #1, get home safe? Or something like that?:dunno:

I hate busybody moms. I still joke about how many points I get for taking out the heifer playing neighborhood cop with a radar gun. I really hate'em. :puke: But I can't blame'em when some fool goes whizzing by their kids at 45-50 in a 30. Can you blame them for trying? :scratch:

What choice do they have? Call a cop? yeah, good luck with that :rolleyes: you could look a year before you found an honest one who would care about "little darling's" safety. That will not do any good.

Or call the driver? Send them a message saying "Please slow down"? Hold a sign up saying "Please slow down"? Look at the reactions on this blog. You know that won't do any good. :noway:

Just a suggestion, :twocents: but consider this: If you do not want the old biddies and battle axes acting like hall monitors :drama:, try driving like responsible adults in the bedroom communities so the kids have a chance to play, walk the street, enjoy life and grow up to be nerds or Marines—whichever they please.

If we were not pretending to be Dale Earnhart :chest: as we pass through the neighborhood, we might not see momma throwing a hissy fit. Just a thought.

Boy am I gonna catch it hot for this post!! ;) Ya'll better stand back, I see it already! INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ar15:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    bapak2ja, good post. Won't catch heck from me, but some points you brought up :D

I agree fully regarding not speeding. People want to speed all the time, where does it get them? Maybe 1 minute total off transit time. Makes no sense right? But on the other hand, parents should be watching their children (if they aren't old enough to comprehend the world and it's dangers) and should be teaching their children to not play in the street. :D Speeding sucks, yes, but parents should not have to depend on the .gov or society to raise their children.

One thing to mention: The two heifers in the picture were "approved" by the local PD. They were given instruction on the radar gun.
    The crazed woman from my post was a complete nut that accosted people at any chance and did NOT have police blessing.

Appropriate channels, appropriate means. If I get a call or a letter saying slow down, I will write them an apology and a thank you for doing something good. They have the police "backing" them so to speak and they handle it in an appropriate fashion, I will understand their goals and objectives, if not agreeing with them and vowing to change my ways. If they drive their car after me to "talk to me" or to "teach me a lesson", they are biting off more than they can handle, unless they have 10th Mountain in their car. Power trippy folks have no place in trying to "correct" the world of what they consider "ills".

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Some folks should take a trip to Asia and see what happens when no one obeys the laws on the streets.

sounds like heaven... they probably keep their taxes low by not blowing that money on traffic cops...

If we were not pretending to be Dale Earnhart :chest: as we pass through the neighborhood, we might not see momma throwing a hissy fit. Just a thought.

15 looks fast to a pedestrian,,,and any engine rpm above 2K makes a pedestrian think a car is going fast...

pedestrians are bad judges of speed...

if you really want to slow down traffic,,,sit on the side of the road with a squad car in plain sight with the rollers turning,,, any cop who runs a speed trap from cover doesnt care about speed,,,he cares about revenue,,,and any ticket issued this way should be thrown out...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    any cop who runs a speed trap from cover doesnt care about speed,,,he cares about revenue,,,and any ticket issued this way should be thrown out...

Wrong...again. This is just the way you'd like it to be so you can do whatever you want. When someone sees a cop running radar, what happens? They slow down until they're out of range and then it's back to green flag racing. If they don't know where the cop is, they have to be a little more cautious and pay attention. The ticket isn't for revenue, it's to give people a reason to obey the law. It's been said a million times on here, but tickets don't generate appreciable revenue for police departments. If I write a ticket in my city, about $4 of that ticket actually goes to the department's training fund. The rest goes to the state, which I could care less about raising revenue for.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Wrong...again. This is just the way you'd like it to be so you can do whatever you want.

i like doing whatever i want...

When someone sees a cop running radar, what happens? They slow down until they're out of range and then it's back to green flag racing.

yeah,,,i really see cars going 190... more like 50 on streets and 70 on the highway,,,thats where the limits should be,,,if we should even waste time on those things...

is your purpose to slow them down??? being obvious does that... if not,,,quit wasting time on stupid laws...

If they don't know where the cop is, they have to be a little more cautious and pay attention.

how is anyone not paying attention just because theyre going 50???

The ticket isn't for revenue, it's to give people a reason to obey the law.

no,,, its for revenue...we all know it is... if there were no speed limits,,,traffic cops would have nothing to do,,,and the cities would get rid of a bunch of them,,,reducing total revenue to the police... traffic laws keep TONS of cops employed... its DEFINITELY about the revenue...

without laws to enforce,,,you dont need law enforcement... pretty simple really...

It's been said a million times on here, but tickets don't generate appreciable revenue for police departments. If I write a ticket in my city, about $4 of that ticket actually goes to the department's training fund. The rest goes to the state, which I could care less about raising revenue for.

whatever...i know different...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    i like doing whatever i want...

yeah,,,i really see cars going 190... more like 50 on streets and 70 on the highway,,,thats where the limits should be,,,if we should even waste time on those things...

Oh I get it, you believe in speed limits as long as they are the speed limits you agree with? Boy, that's right neighborly of you. Any other laws you'd like to adjust to your level of acceptance?

is your purpose to slow them down??? being obvious does that... if not,,,quit wasting time on stupid laws...

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. It does slow them down, for about a mile. What's the point in that? It's the same reason for unmarked cars like Mustangs and Camaros. You can get people to drive in an intelligent manner without a cop being around. Deterrence is the word, I think.

how is anyone not paying attention just because theyre going 50???

Reading comprehension, again. If a person realizes they are speeding, they are going to be a little more cautious about looking out for cops. Hence, paying more attention to things.

no,,, its for revenue...we all know it is... if there were no speed limits,,,traffic cops would have nothing to do,,,and the cities would get rid of a bunch of them,,,reducing total revenue to the police... traffic laws keep TONS of cops employed... its DEFINITELY about the revenue...

Ok, so refute what I stated then. I KNOW how much money goes to the city/police department. It's about $4 per ticket. Please provide proof that I'm wrong. If I'm correct, then please explain the revenue aspect of it. It's not worth the time to write the ticket if it's only about the revenue. Not to mention the extra cost of paying a cop to go to court on a ticket. The only entity making money is the state, and why would a local cop care about that? Why would a municipality care about that?

without laws to enforce,,,you dont need law enforcement... pretty simple really...

Really? No laws at all? There's a word for that, but people tend to get all butthurt when it's used.

:rofl:

What a classic argument. "Don't throw logic at me man, I know the truth!"

My response above in red. It seemed easier this way.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Originally Posted by Disposable Heart

-Snip_

Rule #1 of the civilian handbook: Get home alive at the end of your shift.
    Rule #47: Dont be a ****.

People just need to leave everyone else alone, mind their own business, tend their own lawns, regulate their own lives and move on in life.

Amen! you got that right. :-)

The "mes " only look out for themselves.

Good people watch out for and help others.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

Oh I get it, you believe in speed limits

where did i say that???

as long as they are the speed limits you agree with? Boy, that's right neighborly of you. Any other laws you'd like to adjust to your level of acceptance?
    lots...

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

so does your knowledge about the world...

It does slow them down, for about a mile. What's the point in that?

that you get people to slow down for a mile where its important to slow down... thats usually never,,,since people drive just fine at a normal speed if no cops are around to make the road unsafe...

It's the same reason for unmarked cars like Mustangs and Camaros.

that should be totally illegal.... those mustangs and camaros are some of the worst and dumbest idea ever in police,,,

You can get people to drive in an intelligent manner without a cop being around. Deterrence is the word, I think.

deterrence is being visible,,,not hiding... wow... knowledge again... and how is anyone not paying attention just because theyre going 50??? driving 50 is just as intelligent as driving 35... speeds limits are kept low to keep revenue for cops...

Reading comprehension, again.

brains,,,again...

If a person realizes they are speeding, they are going to be a little more cautious about looking out for cops.

knowledge again,,, theyre not paying attention to driving if they think youre out spying,,, they look at everything but what they should...

Hence, paying more attention to things.
    WRONG,,,just cops,,,they drive totally in their mirror and avoid looking at other traffic,,,since the greatest fear is the cop,,, whenever a cops sneaks around and gets noticed,,,people jam on their brakes,,,even if theyre already going slow,,,making a really unsafe road... the best way is just to sit with lights on so people can see you from a mile off,,,and slow down safely... just use some brains on this...

machete said:

Ok, so refute what I stated then. I KNOW how much money goes to the city/police department. It's about $4 per ticket. Please provide proof that I'm wrong.

talk about BAD comprehension difficulties... reread...

machete said:

Really? No laws at all?

i see you get confused easily... in a few sentences,,,youve already lost track of what the point is... what is a traffic cop going to do if hes told not to enforce traffic laws??????????????????????????????????????????????

get it now?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

simple!!!!!

like i said,,,
    without laws to enforce,,,you dont need law enforcement....

knowledge!!!

machete said:

What a classic argument. "Don't throw logic at me man, I know the truth!"

logic??? you aint given out any,,,only some bad stuff you want us to believe... we know what youre doing with this traffic cops stuff,,,and theres a word for what youre really doing with your job,,,but
    nobody can say it openly,,,because a certain job needs to run for the hankys when you talk the truth about it...and the mods wont let anyone rag on it...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    lots...

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving you in charge of a corndog, let alone any laws.

so does your knowledge about the world...

Examples?

that you get people to slow down for a mile where its important to slow down... thats usually never,,,since people drive just fine at a normal speed if no cops are around to make the road unsafe...

You could drive a truck through the holes in the logic here. You're assuming that people would behave responsibly. You wouldn't believe how some people behave when they think nobody is watching. You take away the very possibility that somebody is watching, I can't even imagine how that would turn out.

that should be totally illegal.... those mustangs and camaros are some of the worst and dumbest idea ever in police,,,

Explanation?

deterrence is being visible,,,not hiding... wow... knowledge again... and how is anyone not paying attention just because theyre going 50??? driving 50 is just as intelligent as driving 35... speeds limits are kept low to keep revenue for cops...

I've already explained this, you're not getting it. You can get people to drive responsibly without a police officer being around. If I put a bunch of candy bars on a table with an "honor box" for collecting payment, how many people would just take the candy for free? Now what if I put up a dummy camera or a sign simply stating that the area was being watched?

brains,,,again...

Explanation, again.

knowledge again,,, theyre not paying attention to driving if they think youre out spying,,, they look at everything but what they should...

How so? Have you realized that most of your rebuttal is just blind assertion without any examples or explanation? The gist of your responses so far has been basically "you're stupid, cuz I said so." Maybe an example of whatever it is you're talking about would help my inferior brain understand.

WRONG,,,just cops,,,they drive totally in their mirror and avoid looking at other traffic,,,since the greatest fear is the cop,,, whenever a cops sneaks around and gets noticed,,,people jam on their brakes,,,even if theyre already going slow,,,making a really unsafe road... the best way is just to sit with lights on so people can see you from a mile off,,,and slow down safely... just use some brains on this...

Have you ever been a police officer? Wait, don't answer, I already know. I can tell you from personal experience that this isn't the way it works. You also are completely missing everything else I've explained to you about deterrence. If we're going to sit on the side of the road with our lights on we might as well not even bother. As soon as a car goes by they'll go right back to speeding. I speak Spanish, would you understand it in a different language?

talk about BAD comprehension difficulties... reread...

Explanation...again...

i see you get confused easily... in a few sentences,,,youve already lost track of what the point is... what is a traffic cop going to do if hes told not to enforce traffic laws??????????????????????????????????????????????

get it now?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

simple!!!!!

like i said,,,
    without laws to enforce,,,you dont need law enforcement....

knowledge!!!

Your assertion is that without any traffic laws, we could get rid of a bunch of police officers and save money. The circular "logic" of this idea is proof positive that you have no idea what you're talking about. A police department doesn't make much money on traffic tickets. The city doesn't make much money on traffic tickets. Why would they hire police officers just to enforce traffic laws knowing that they don't make but a few dollars off the ticket, and they still have to pay the officer's salary? Traffic tickets don't pay anybody's salary. You're making this wild assumption, too, that police department's would fire the officers if they didn't have traffic laws to enforce. Traffic is usually the least of an officer's concern. Most officer's give warnings about 85% of the time anyway, at least in my neck of the woods. Nobody is going to lose their job because there are no more traffic laws. In a 12 hour shift I might make 2 or 3 traffic stops. There are still a hundred other things an officer has to do. Not to mention all the extra crash reports that would need to be done because Jim Bob decided that he wanted to drive 105 mph through the school zone and disregard the stop light. You really need to learn what police officers actually do before attempt to argue their necessity.

logic??? you aint given out any,,,only some bad stuff you want us to believe... we know what youre doing with this traffic cops stuff,,,and theres a word for what youre really doing with your job,,,but nobody can say it openly,,,because a certain job needs to run for the hankys when you talk the truth about it...and the mods wont let anyone rag on it...

Prove your point then.

I know I'm just talking to myself here...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The "mes " only look out for themselves.

Good people watch out for and help others.

"mes" :dunno: :)

Good people DO watch out for each other and help out. But, at what line to we draw being "good" and being obnoxious (which I know all about :D :D )? Help someone carry groceries, help someone shovel their sidewalk, etc... But when people sue for being pepper sprayed by the bittie they tried to help carry their groceries or I slip and fall trying to help shovel one's sidewalk then sue, where does good become bad?

We have formed ourselves into a very cautious and paranoid society. Power mongers want to rule everyone and those just trying to get to work or live are punished. With everyone litigious or crazy, it's hard to be "good" towards anyone. Last week, I parked at a farther spot, allowed the person behind me to have a spot closer in the crowded parking lot. She was overjoyed and took notice to this. Little things like that are victimless and awesome. Three months ago, some homie that was soliciting in our neighborhood claimed he was "gonna sue" me b/c he "slipped" on my doorstep after I told him that I was not interested and to leave the neighborhood, pointing out the no soliciting sign in front of our subdivision. The world isn't "nice" anymore. :(

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Again, how and under what authority are the soccer mom's getting a driver's contact info to write them a letter? Can I call a LEO buddy and have him run a plate for me, regardless of why I want that info?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "mes" :dunno: :)

Good people DO watch out for each other and help out. But, at what line to we draw being "good" and being obnoxious (which I know all about :D :D )? Help someone carry groceries, help someone shovel their sidewalk, etc... But when people sue for being pepper sprayed by the bittie they tried to help carry their groceries or I slip and fall trying to help shovel one's sidewalk then sue, where does good become bad?

We have formed ourselves into a very cautious and paranoid society. Power mongers want to rule everyone and those just trying to get to work or live are punished. With everyone litigious or crazy, it's hard to be "good" towards anyone. Last week, I parked at a farther spot, allowed the person behind me to have a spot closer in the crowded parking lot. She was overjoyed and took notice to this. Little things like that are victimless and awesome. Three months ago, some homie that was soliciting in our neighborhood claimed he was "gonna sue" me b/c he "slipped" on my doorstep after I told him that I was not interested and to leave the neighborhood, pointing out the no soliciting sign in front of our subdivision. The world isn't "nice" anymore. :(

The "mes" are the me generation.

Nice of you to let another have the closer space.

I hold doors open all the time, amazing how some can't believe someone would do that for them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The ladies are not getting "contact info" or are they sending the letters.

So what's happening with the info then? Are they just turning it over to the police? What are the police doing with it? Can they write a ticket based on what Suzy Soccer Mom told them happened?

Top Bottom