Wait for the cops and risk trespassing or leave as requested?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    So as I ate in the mall today I thought about a "what if" situation. Here goes:

You're walking around the mall and suddenly you notice someone robbing one of the jewelry stores, armed. You draw your pistol, telling the would-be robber he needs to put his gun down NOW or you'll shoot. He begins to turn the gun on you, and you fire.

Ok, at this point someone is calling the police or you should be. A security guard or mall representative comes up to you, explains to you that you're not allowed to have a gun on mall property and asks you to leave the premises.

What do you do? Do you stay and wait for the cops, risking trespass or leave and call the police? Can you even be charged with trespass after this?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You were just involved in a shooting, the mall security is not going to ask you to leave.

But let's say that you hypothetically are asked, you have 2 options, assuming the criminal is down or gone. One is that you can await the police outside, or you can await the police inside. Me, I'm not going to leave the scene. The likelyhood of being charged with criminal trespass in that situation is virtually zero.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    You were just involved in a shooting, the mall security is not going to ask you to leave.

But let's say that you hypothetically are asked, you have 2 options, assuming the criminal is down or gone. One is that you can await the police outside, or you can await the police inside. Me, I'm not going to leave the scene. The likelyhood of being charged with criminal trespass in that situation is virtually zero.

I agree. This is the right answer.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010

exactly

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you didn't write that you were in danger, merely a witness. Or in your example were you SUPPOSED to be in grave danger?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

:yesway:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you didn't write that you were in danger, merely a witness. Or in your example were you SUPPOSED to be in grave danger?

Per Indiana law you (the person performing the defensive shooting) don't have to be in grave danger. Just some innocent person needs to be in grave danger. Once the BG begins pointing a gun at people in the course of a robbery any law abiding person has the legal authority at that point to take him down.

(NB: this explanation is a bit oversimplistic but I believe it covers the high points.)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    (NB: this explanation is a bit oversimplistic but I believe it covers the high points.)

Covers the glocks and S&W's too. Sorry - had to!

Now, so as not to threadjack my own thread:

I realize that it's not likely to happen that they'd ask you to leave. I'm also not likely to come upon this situation. Just thought it was an interesting "what if".

I'm not about to leave the scene, personally. I'd rather take a trespass charge if necessary. Theoretically though, could they charge you with trespassing?

Also, I am with dburkhead and my "what if" was written accordingly. In this situation, I'd draw on the person because I fear for the life of a fellow citizin under Castle Law. If I feel like they are in grave danger or risk of great bodily harm, I have a right to protect them with whatever force necessary, and personally I will do so.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Also: In Indiana, if you're witnessing a felony (such as someone pointing a firearm at people, for instance :-) ) or a breach-of-the-peace misdemeanor, or have knowledge of someone committing a felony, you're allowed to place the individual under Citizens' Arrest, which is just as binding on them as anything a policeman... police person... POLICE OFFICER could do.

As such, I'd have an initial go at the guy, arresting him in my very best Forceful Cop voice, but otherwise, as #2 above.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    A security guard or mall representative comes up to you, explains to you that you're not allowed to have a gun on mall property and asks you to leave the premises.
    Herein lies the flaw in your logic. A mall security guard would not walk up to you as he would be too busy in the restroom trying to remove the brown streak from his pants.... :eek: :D

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I would consider myself in grave danger at this point. I'm certainly not waiting for him to start shooting first!

I 100% agree with you, HOWEVER.......before the BG turned the weapon this occurred according to the OP:

You're walking around the mall and suddenly you notice someone robbing one of the jewelry stores, armed. You draw your pistol, telling the would-be robber he needs to put his gun down NOW or you'll shoot.

So the scenario as provided is that you WITNESS the robbery FIRST, then INSERT yourself INTO the situation. See what I mean?

*I have personally been witness to all kinds of crap occurring in my armed presence, but EXITED the scene, as I was NOT in grave danger. Could I have drawn my weapon and done something? Sure. Was there a possibility that someone would have been injured/killed? Sure.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I 100% agree with you, HOWEVER.......before the BG turned the weapon this occurred according to the OP:

You're walking around the mall and suddenly you notice someone robbing one of the jewelry stores, armed. You draw your pistol, telling the would-be robber he needs to put his gun down NOW or you'll shoot.

So the scenario as provided is that you WITNESS the robbery FIRST, then INSERT yourself INTO the situation. See what I mean?

*I have personally been witness to all kinds of crap occurring in my armed presence, but EXITED the scene, as I was NOT in grave danger. Could I have drawn my weapon and done something? Sure. Was there a possibility that someone would have been injured/killed? Sure.

"The only thing required for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke.

Top Bottom