• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you're ever a victim of violence while at Wal-Mart, don't count on the staff doing the right thing (like this guy did). It's against policy.

Seems like defending yourself from attack violates Wal-Mart's "workplace violence" policy.

Michigan Walmart worker says he was fired for helping assaulted woman | Fox News

Excerpt:
    "Oswald, 30, said he was in his car on his break about 2:30 a.m. Sunday when he saw a man grabbing a woman. He said he asked her if she needed help and the man started punching him in the head and yelling that he was going to kill him. Oswald said he was able to get on top of the man, but then two other men jumped him from behind."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Many businesses have a similar policy. I know my employer does.

Fortunately, my "policy" requires that I do the right thing, regardless of what my employer says.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If the facts are actually as presented in the article, Walmart should be promoting this guy to full time instead of firing him.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    If the facts are actually as presented in the article, Walmart should be promoting this guy to full time instead of firing him.

Not Wally World's thinking. Management sees an employee that stands up and helps out. Means he wants to fight company policy. Bring in unions and cause friction with other employees. Wally World only wants sheeples to work for them.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Apparently Walmart would prefer that the employee had turned his back and the woman removed from their property in an ambulance. Apparently that would have been better for his Walmart career than any compassion toward a woman in danger on their property.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    Apparently Walmart would prefer that the employee had turned his back and the woman removed from their property in an ambulance. Apparently that would have been better for his Walmart career than any compassion toward a woman in danger on their property.

The only time Walmart and compassion will be used in the same sentence.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Walmart should be free to set their own policies.

Employees should be free to accept or reject those policies by accepting or rejecting employment.

This isn't an issue except where people are making it an issue. Surely, this isn't the first time you people have seen corps make decisions that aren't "good for society?"

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    Walmart should be free to set their own policies.

Employees should be free to accept or reject those policies by accepting or rejecting employment.

This isn't an issue except where people are making it an issue. Surely, this isn't the first time you people have seen corps make decisions that aren't "good for society?"

Agreed. Which is why I donnot shop there.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    If I were the woman who was being assaulted, I would write an open letter to Walmart thanking them for the intervention provided by their former employee, then asking them what action they would have preferred their employee take. I would send this letter to all local media.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wish there were less laws, less "policies" and more common sense.

This.

It's probably because of the myriad laws and threats of lawsuits companies reject reasonableness and common sense in favor of written policies. It's got to be easier to point to some text and do as it prescribes than to listen to cases and decide on action(s) based on the facts and mitigating circumstances.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    they only have a policy because someone probably went too far in something that they shouldn't have before a policy was in place. Then walmart didn't have a policy violation to use to fire the person. Now, they have a policy.

Top Bottom