• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Well, did you know that the general public can carry there firearms into Walgreens but not the employees. I am not just talking about when they are working but not working to. As a matter of fact employees on or off cannot have a gun on the premises.
    What do you think. I do not work at Walgreens by the way.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    "Walgreens began in 1901, with a drug store on the corner of Bowen Ave and Cottage Grove in Chicago, owned by Galesburg native Charles R. Walgreen, Sr.[4] By 1913, Walgreens had grown to four stores on Chicago's South Side. It opened its fifth in 1915, and four in 1916. By 1919, there were 20 stores in the chain. The 1920s were successful for Walgreens." Wikipedia

You are free to draw whatever conclusions you may wish.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Dead pharmacists/technicians/cashiers cost less in death benefits than civil suits from wounded/dead perps and their families.

No I can't prove this; it's strictly my opinion.

No I don't work for Walgreens.

Yes I am a retail pharmacist.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    yes I believe it is Hea 1065.

I thought it was interesting because, Walgreens official statement reguarding the pharmacist was that he could be fired from carrying guns on the job. Well, he wasn't even at his store or on the job. He was shopping
    The persons that spoke with him told him that it doesn't say just when your working.
    However, everything else in the policy of course is when you are working, your not going to wear a name tag and take 10 minute breaks on your day off.
    They also told him that what is going to stop you from carrying a gun when your at work.
    Well, the guy that told him that has a permit as well. So he should be asked that as well.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I have a company here in South Bend . I did loss prevention as a subcontractor for some of the stores. I had a no weapons policy, because , if they shot someone while working they would not be covered by my insurance and neither would myself or the company. Of course this is when they are working. Not when they were shopping.
    Sure , I can see why a company would have that, they are trying to cover themselves when the employee is on the clock.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    As a matter of fact employees on or off cannot have a gun on the premises. What do you think.

This conflicts me so much. On the one hand, a retail outlet is by it's nature vulnerable to scum bags.

On the other hand, a corporation as big as they are is all about risk management. It wouldn't surprise me at all if their lawyers told them not to.

If a Walgreens employee, with the permission of their employer, carried at work and did something stupid, the victim would try to sue the pants off walgreens.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't we have a new law in Indiana that makes the part about "on the premises" illegal?
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: You're mistaken.

You're mistaking the guns in locked vehicles in the employer's parking lot bill for a fictional guns in employees' pockets on the job bill.

On the other hand, a corporation as big as they are is all about risk management. It wouldn't surprise me at all if their lawyers told them not to.

If a Walgreens employee, with the permission of their employer, carried at work and did something stupid, the victim would try to sue the pants off walgreens.
    Which is why we need insurance reform making employers legally untouchable for the misbehaviour of employees on the job with respect to firearms handling except in cases where the employer required said employee to have the firearm. Joe Triggerlock brings his sidearm on the job stocking shelves at Kroger, fat fingers his gun, it goes off, and injures Janie Grocery-Shopper, Krogers would be legally immune from Janie's lawsuits, since whether Krogers knew Joe had a gun on his person or not, it was not making his employment contingent on his possessing said gun. A generic Krogers employee policy of no committing crimes on company property or on company time would neatly handle the requirement that Joe have his IN LTCH in order to even bring his gun to work in the first place.

On the other hand, if Jack Security is hired by Brinks to be a guard and driver, and while getting out of his truck, his gun falls out of its holster and ADs, shooting Janie as she's leaving Kroger, then Janie would have entirely sufficient grounds to sue Brinks, because they required Jack to have that gun.

Alas, this is not the situation as it stands.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, did you know that the general public can carry there firearms into Walgreens but not the employees. I am not just talking about when they are working but not working to. As a matter of fact employees on or off cannot have a gun on the premises.
    What do you think. I do not work at Walgreens by the way.

I carry at Walgreens all the time. Openly. And they are always polite.

My guess is that their insurance carrier/Attorney proscribes this.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suspect that most corporate policies forbidding guns on the premises are directed solely at those whom the business has a responsibility for bringing them onto the premises, i.e. the employees. For customers, the business is not responsible for them being there, the customers themselves are, hence if a customer goes insane and shoots the place up, it's not the fault of the business, they bear no liability, so they and their insurance carriers don't care about a policy forbidding customers from carrying.

There are, of course, the odd balls who wants to forbid all guns from their business premises.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I was unaware of that. Thanks for pointing that out :yesway:

I was responding to the post above (somewhere) where the member posted something that seemed to the contrary :)

I think the confusion comes from what I gather is the previous poster was talking about a Lowe's EMPLOYEE Policy and you were talking about John Doe customer carrying in the store. Two different policies.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Yes, we are talking about two different things. 1. The public policy -Lowes and Walgreens are the same-as long as it is legal they don't care. 2. The employee policy, I am not talking about when they are punched in and working, they cannot have a firearm in the store.
    What I am talking about is an employee, not working, in fact not even at the store they usually work at, just shopping. That is all, just going to the store buying a few things and thats it. Just the same as me going to Walgreens and picking out gum. The only difference what I am saying is aparently employees Cannot have a firearm, whether working or even shopping at another Walgreens anywere.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I also shop at both stores. At Sears we had an employee policy similiar when your are working not when I shopping. I am aware the parking lot bill only makes it so employees can leave their firearm in a locked vehicle in the parking lot when they are working.

Top Bottom