• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    What is the best way to walk forward or backwards while shooting your target? It doesnt look that difficult until you try it. Keeping the sights on target while moving is tuff. Practice makes perfect and perfect practice makes it better. So easy steps for better aquistioning? Slow down? Don't rush. What is your thought process?

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Some teach a exaggerated type of heel to toe Groucho Marx type of walk. Others teach a type of walk where you shift your hips and walk heel to toe. Try what works for you, the main thing to remember is to separate your movements from shooting. Like a tank. Your upper body is the turret and your lower body is the tread.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    In addition to the tips above.

Bend your knees more than you think you need to,more than what is comfortable.
    Use you bent legs as shock absorbers to keep your upper body as stable as possible.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Some teach a exaggerated type of heel to toe Groucho Marx type of walk. Others teach a type of walk where you shift your hips and walk heel to toe. Try what works for you, the main thing to remember is to separate your movements from shooting. Like a tank. Your upper body is the turret and your lower body is the tread.

THIS!!!

And LOTS of Practice. I found the only then I had to do was make a conscience effort to only squeeze the Trigger when my Feet were planted and not in motion. So no Funny way to learn to walk was needed for me... :dunno:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What is the best way to walk forward or backwards while shooting your target? It doesnt look that difficult until you try it. Keeping the sights on target while moving is tuff. Practice makes perfect and perfect practice makes it better. So easy steps for better aquistioning? Slow down? Don't rush. What is your thought process?

Narrow stance is important. Bend your knees. Take small steps and roll the feet. It is easier to do all of this moving backwards than moving forward. Moving forward is easier than moving laterally.

If you roll your feet properly you should see great stability in the sights. You still need to have a sight focus while doing this type of shooting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Along with what the others said, I will add:

The key is to move from the waist down and shoot from the waist upward. That means using your lower body not only to move, but also a means of keeping your upper body as steady as possible.

As Coach mentioned, moving backward is the easiest to. Start with that on level ground before you try other directions or uneven ground.

You can also practice the movement pretty much anywhere without a gun. Use a glass of water or a water bottle in your hands and try to move while keeping the water level. Learning to move and shoot accuratelycomes first, then you can work on going faster.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    All of these things are very helpful. When I first started doing this kind of shooting two years ago it was very hard and awkward. Practicing every Wednesday has definetly made a difference. I'm still walking (not running yet) but am progressivley faster then I used to be. At least I don't have to stop anymore. That alone has taken much needed seconds off the clock. Thanks

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Narrow stance is important. Bend your knees. Take small steps and roll the feet. It is easier to do all of this moving backwards than moving forward. Moving forward is easier than moving laterally.

If you roll your feet properly you should see great stability in the sights. You still need to have a sight focus while doing this type of shooting.

THIS^^^ along with some of what Jeremy mentioned about shooting "mid-step"...helps

it sort of takes a certain level of finesse....learning how to shoot on the move straight forward, progress into lateral movements, then practice at different speeds....but starting it will seem like a very slow walking speed....but face it...running and accuracy don't exactly go together

it really just takes practice once you've learned the "fundamentals" of it

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From some of the best...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxiCxL3bYA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9j2zi7vZ90[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_Yq2vCpH0[/ame]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    With rolling of the feet the timing of shooting mid step is not necessary. As you are almost always in contract with the ground.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Here is a little demo of some pretty good shooting on the move.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-JCkH1jf14[/ame]

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Lots of great advice here on shooting while moving forward. Reversing this to shoot while moving backward will probably work on the competition range but does not work when things are real. If you duck walk backwards into a curb, pole, wall, or just anything, you will be going down or at least have to recover your balance.

When moving backward while shooting or covering someone or guarding against someone, I slide one foot behind me then slide the other one back to the one in the rear.

The foot that got slid back can feel the object without throwing your balance off. It can be done quickly and easily. I also move this way on the competition range. Train the way you will fight, as they say.....

I was taught to move this way in the Police Academy. FWIW

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I may catch alot of flak for this, but I practice shooting on the move with paintball. It isnt an exact carry over, but many of the muscle memory is the same. I have played (when I could afford it) speed ball on a regular basis, and unless you are the back man ( volume fire suppression) you have to develop shoot on the move tactics to be able to move freely on the field.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Lots of great advice here on shooting while moving forward. Reversing this to shoot while moving backward will probably work on the competition range but does not work when things are real. If you duck walk backwards into a curb, pole, wall, or just anything, you will be going down or at least have to recover your balance.

When moving backward while shooting or covering someone or guarding against someone, I slide one foot behind me then slide the other one back to the one in the rear.

The foot that got slid back can feel the object without throwing your balance off. It can be done quickly and easily. I also move this way on the competition range. Train the way you will fight, as they say.....

I was taught to move this way in the Police Academy. FWIW

:dunno: I was never taught to retreat ...and I never did the moon walk in combat ;)
    you should be completely aware of items that near to you and which you more than likely just passed in your movement forward....so if you trip up, I'd have to question such a person's SA............I've trained in this type of shooting extensively(only training as falling back wasn't part of our vocabulary) and in all sorts of terrain, buildings, etc....never had a problem going down.........your speed when shooting on the move, if trying to engage accurately, is going to be slow enough to begin with that you are probably not/should not need to worry about falling down..plus rolling your feet means you aren't applying all of your balance/weight on the rearward foot instantly..just my:twocents:

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    With rolling of the feet the timing of shooting mid step is not necessary. As you are almost always in contract with the ground.

:rockwoot: That's how I always did it...but it did seem to create a little more movement in the sights as the foot struck/left the ground in between the rolling

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    First of all, avoid moving backwards and shooting. This may be well and good for gun games but in the real world, not so mch. Have you ever done any type of Force on Force training? What is the point of slowly moving back? You can not move back fast enough to outrun the bullet or even the attacker for that matter.

Let me ask a question, there are two goals in a gunfight. Shoot the bad guy, and don't get shot yourself. Which do you feel is more important? For me it is not getting shot. In a reactive gunfight, your movement must be dynamic, or the probability of just trading hits with the oppenent is too high.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrIdpo9odA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrIdpo9odA&feature=related[/ame]

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    First of all, avoid moving backwards and shooting. This may be well and good for gun games but in the real world, not so mch. Have you ever done any type of Force on Force training? What is the point of slowly moving back? You can not move back fast enough to outrun the bullet or even the attacker for that matter.
    Really....

I know several Combat Vets who must have missed that ****ing class...
    You Shoot when you need to, if you can.
    You move the way you need to, if you can.
    You combine the 2 as needed, if you can.

Let me ask a question, there are two goals in a gunfight. Shoot the bad guy, and don't get shot yourself. Which do you feel is more important? For me it is not getting shot. In a reactive gunfight, your movement must be dynamic, or the probability of just trading hits with the oppenent is too high.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrIdpo9odA&feature=related
    And exactly how many real gunfights have You been involved in?! :popcorn:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrIdpo9odA&feature=related

This is highly objective/relative to any number of given situations which can call for your need to shoot and move backwards....I could think of quite a few off the top of my head without even trying....the point is that you should train for it even if it is highly unlikely to need it.......

rather know how to do it and not use it, then need to use it and not know how to.............

if your advancing forward passing an object of concealment/cover, and all of a sudden notice an additional threat about to present itself you may wish to fall back to that cover position........then what if they are firing and you need to provide "suppressive fire" to keep their head down so you can take cover a little more safely??

the point is that we can play the what if game ALL DAY.....but telling someone that a technique/tactic is "wrong" or "not needed" is IMO an irresponsible method of teaching :dunno:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Really....

And exactly how many real gunfights have You been involved in?! :popcorn:

While in the Army, none. Though I was in the Infantry, during the time I was in, I saw no combat. While on the PD I was lucky enough to not have to shoot anyone, though some came very close. Of course my grandfather killed a lot of [redacted - esrice] in WWII, but would have made a lousy instructor, so not sure I get your point. Are only those who have actually killed allowed to train in your world? I have taught guys with multiple combat tours in my classes and all manged to learn something. Fortunately I am open minded enough that I learned stuff from them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom