• ...and so much more!
  • ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Oh yeah. One of my most painful skydiving injuries was getting my cornea scratched while bushwhacking through the woods looking for another jumper's canopy that had to be cut away midair due to a malfunction.

And the kicker? I WASNT EVEN JUMPING THAT DAY!!!!

(everybody chips in to look for gear when it gets cut away. you dont just walk away from a $2,000+ custom piece of gear)
    Fortunately it wasn't me that had his eye poked, but my friend during a night hike. He was down an out for like 40 minutes. Since then I've invested in some nice combat grade goggles that I use whenever I go bushwhacking at night. You may look goofy, but a poked eye is not fun, and can be the difference of life and death in a bad situation.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My commute is .4 mile, SWMBO is less than a mile. But you know that SHTF will happen while we’re out of town.

We both regularly bicycle 30 to 50 miles in a day, and do multi- day backpacking trips. We’re about as ready as we can be for our age.

Alternative routes could involve RR tracks and power line ROWs. We have atlases for Indiana and neighboring states that show all those and where they go.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Retired these days, if things look sketchy we'll just stay home. Like patience0830 said, long treks are out. We'll just hide out here in the woods.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    20 to 25 miles was considered a "day's journey" for thousands of years.
    I remember reading years ago, maybe when I was taking Tennessee history back in junior high school, that the guys establishing the counties, they tried to set them no larger than what a man on horse back could get to the county seat in one day.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    20 to 25 miles was considered a "day's journey" for thousands of years.
    And I am 100% on board and understand that. I am not out of shape or severely overweight 19 miles with no training was difficult when they traveled like that they did it often.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Retired these days, if things look sketchy we'll just stay home. Like patience0830 said, long treks are out. We'll just hide out here in the woods.
    And in a perfect world that would be my plan also. But unfortunately things don’t always go as planned

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Used to commute by bicycle. Twenty four miles between home and work. Later, when I no longer did the bike commute, I left a spare bike at work for "short trips" between facilities. Always had it in the back of my mind that if I needed to, I could use it for getting home.

Top Bottom