• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    And I guess if you still wanted the Walmart experience you could open up another browser tab for one of the "People of Walmart" websites and flip back and forth between it and the Walmart website while you're doing your shopping. It'd be almost like being there. ;)

All of the LOLs with a much reduced chance of stranger danger, I like it!:D

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As a former Walmart customer service associate, I can think of nothing more exhilarating and rewarding than being a part of the following scenario:

Woman comes in and gets in line at service desk, I can already tell she's gonna be an issue due to her attitude and the fact that this ain't her first rodeo at our service desk. She's holding a box that's obviously somewhat heavy, and protruding from the top is... What's that? An air mattress! This is gonna be fun. After a five minute wait caused by me being alone at the desk while my co-worker is on lunch, she makes it up to the counter and puts the box up there with a thud. With a smile and a polite, professional voice I ask how I can help her today. I'm told in a less-than-pleasant tone that "this air mattress is defective and won't stay inflated". Well Walmart has a policy that an opened air mattress cannot be returned, only exchanged for one of equal or greater value. After explaining this policy to her, along with pulling the relevant policies off the board to show her, and listening to the anger and insults, I hear the magic words, "I wanna see a manager". Oh boy, I'm excited because I know that my CSM today is one that is fair but never lets customers walk all over us, corporate policy be damned. I get him and stand by as he reiterates the policies and what we can do for her. After a while of getting nowhere, she's given the 1-800-Walmart number (read: 1-800-F**kOff) by the manager and leaves with her air mattress.

That's the condensed version, the full version is much more colorful. Just remember that the person behind the service desk or register is making peanuts per hour and has no say on store policies. We thought they were just as dumb as the customers did. I learned a lot from that job though, like how to smile and talk nicely to someone when you really just wanna hit them with the heaviest object in reach.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Former Walmart employees who have posted in this thread:

You do know that since you've brought it up, you're now obligated to start a "Favorite Walmart Worker Stories" or similar titled thread...right? Especially SOUP.

Come on, now, fellers. Story time!

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I was in hardware mixing paint when I finished up I head back to sporting goods.
    What do I see some joker behind the counter going through the holster. So I say guy you realty shouldn't be behind there that is why the chain there. I won't repeat what he said good way to get banned.
    Opens the holster and goes to pull his gun to try the fit. Stop you can't do that put that gun back in your pocket. Told him you don't pull a gun out in Wal Mart do it again I will call the police. He starts in and I told him buy the holster go to your car and try it for size. If it doesn't fit return it

Five minutes later my manager is there with him while he tries his gun in the holster.

Thirty minutes later a call comes over the radio all managers to the office. A little wile later the AP manager comes buy tells me I saw the whole thing on the surveillance video about the guy with the gun next time don't hesitate call 911 The managers have been made aware of this policy.

My manager came over and apologized she didn't know the policy had been changed. I said maybe it has something to do with the moron that did something similar and shot a infent at the other store last month.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I gave up on Walmart years ago, as they cater to those who will trade reasonable customer service for low prices.

It is not fair to blame the employees. Everyone needs a job. What Walmart has done to customer service, their suppliers, and the quality of life in the US are corporate decisions. However, now that the customer base is those seeking low prices and willing to accept limited customer service, it has become a self-sustaining spiral.

And yes, bring on the stories!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Guess I'm an oddball, never had any issues in Wal-Mart. I don't go in with high expectations.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'll go ahead and spare you guys the agony of the early days of "Walmart radio" back when it was just a very small handful of songs on repeat. At the end of the night, when your feet are about to fall off (no sitting, no leaning), the store has finally gotten quiet, and your brain is fried, you learn exactly how annoyed you can get at Adele after hearing her song seven times in one shift.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Dont know if anyone saw the statement last week during sub zero temperatures. They recommended that ALL customers wear 2 pair of pajama pants until the weather cleared up!

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I stopped going 20 years ago after watching the PBS special about how they destroyed Rubbermaid, abandoned the Made in The USA advertising campaign, and forced their suppliers to move to China so Walmart could make bigger profits.

Still better than Target where they dont even sell cap guns.... I dont like either, but Walmart seems to be the better of 2 evils.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I can get Winchester 5.56 200 round pack for $58.00 at Wal Mart.
    Wal Mart quality varies it seems IMO the ones located around major population centers tend to be bad sometimes very bad. While the ones in less populated areas tend to have better service ect. and less PJ pants.

BTW
    Visit the one in Lake Charles Louisiana and report back on what you observed!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I gave up on Tarr Jay when they decided they were too good for the salvation army bell ringers.

I'm currently finding that I can buy EVERYTHING Wally mart sells somewhere else, if I will just look.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I'll go ahead and spare you guys the agony of the early days of "Walmart radio" back when it was just a very small handful of songs on repeat. At the end of the night, when your feet are about to fall off (no sitting, no leaning), the store has finally gotten quiet, and your brain is fried, you learn exactly how annoyed you can get at Adele after hearing her song seven times in one shift.

Isn't that the truth.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    What the manager will tolerate or how greedy he is plus the type of customers in the area of the store dictates the type of store it is.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The Walmart in Hammond moved from 165th street between Columbia and Indianapolis Blvd to it's current location next to Cabela's at I-94 and Indianapolis. They actually are one of the better grocery stores in the area. Once while shopping there I asked a manager about something I was looking for, that conversation broached into the topic of the move from the old location. He told me that losses due to shoplifting were killing them in them in the old location. I think that's a pretty serious problem in retail in general, but apparently it was worse than normal at the old Walmart Hammond location.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Losses due to theft may be the main reason stores move out of bad neighborhoods and the reason prices are higher in those areas.

Could it be "food deserts" are caused by crime?

Last edited:

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    The Walmart in Hammond moved from 165th street between Columbia and Indianapolis Blvd to it's current location next to Cabela's at I-94 and Indianapolis. They actually are one of the better grocery stores in the area. Once while shopping there I asked a manager about something I was looking for, that conversation broached into the topic of the move from the old location. He told me that losses due to shoplifting were killing them in them in the old location. I think that's a pretty serious problem in retail in general, but apparently it was worse than normal at the old Walmart Hammond location.

Yes, that store was very bad for shoplifting as well as fraudulent credit card use. They sold more TVs and XBoxes than anything else. And as I recall shortly before that location closed for the move there was a shooting in the parking lot. Also the black friday fights lol. The police that are there in the store are usually playing on their phone. They don't pay much attention. Not blaming the officers for anything that goes on. People will still try to get away with whatever they think they can.
    As for being a good grocery store in the area, yes i agree. I shop stracks and target and find more selection at walmart. prices are give and take in comparison with the other 2.
    I'm glad they moved next to Cabelas but the employees still need to change to make it a better place.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    I gave up on Walmart years ago, as they cater to those who will trade reasonable customer service for low prices.

It is not fair to blame the employees. Everyone needs a job. What Walmart has done to customer service, their suppliers, and the quality of life in the US are corporate decisions. However, now that the customer base is those seeking low prices and willing to accept limited customer service, it has become a self-sustaining spiral.

And yes, bring on the stories!

The employees should not catch all the blame. The customers give them a lot of hell. Their entitlement to service and respect is disgusting. They cuss and belittle you in attempts to get their way like a child wanting a toy. Then you are expected to let it roll off you and carry on with a smile and be pleasant.
    There are good and bad managers in these stores. Some more invested in their employees than others. And it shows.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Losses do to theft may be the main reason stores move out of bad neighborhoods and the reason prices are higher in those areas.

Could it be "food deserts" are caused by crime?

Actually the town gives them property tax abatement to move across the street and anchor them in place for a while. The town gets a fortune in sales tax and jobs and the added bonus of an abandoned building across the street. And in most towns, some town councilman will buy the land from farmer Joe and resell it to Walmart. Everyone tries to make a buck.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The Walmart on 31 in Niles, Michigan was the first one around that I can remember. It was always the dumpiest too.

I always swore that ALL of the people of Walmart pics came from that one store.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom