• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Losses due to theft may be the main reason stores move out of bad neighborhoods and the reason prices are higher in those areas.

Could it be "food deserts" are caused by crime?

They are caused by not enough paying customers willing to pay the prices needed to make the business profitable.

Remember, we are told constantly that capitalists are greedy pigs. If they could make money selling food in the inner cities they would. But in the inner cities food prices would have to be high enough to make up for slippage (read theft), rent, and the extra security needed to keep the registers safe.

Then you have the issue that grocery store food doesn't sell real well in the inner city. It's fast food, junk food that anyone can buy at a gas station or drug store or liquor store.

Ever wonder why they don't complain about liquor deserts in the inner cities?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The only beeves I have with my local WalMart are a) It's just so damn big and crowded right after work and on weekends, and b) they (purposely I'm sure) staff only about four of the 25 check out lanes which forces most to do the self-scan checkout nuisance.

But the grocery section is actually pretty good, and you can find about any widget you need in the rest of the store. Not a top of the line, widget, but enough to get the job done.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Kroger for the win. I noticed a slight increase after Marsh left but of course wife hasn't noticed.

Full disclosure, I split our shopping between Aldi and Kroger. Aldi for paper goods, dairy products (cheese, milk, butter, yogurt), bacon (they actually have really good bacon), eggs, cereal. Kroger for meat, bakery goods, produce, etc..

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Kroger for the win. I noticed a slight increase after Marsh left but of course wife hasn't noticed.

It must be nice to have a Kroger that doesn't make a habit of selling spoiled meat. Ours is relatively new and was fine while it had a competing Marsh just up the road. Now, the last 3 times I've tried to purchase pork products on sale they were spoiled the same day or within a day of purchase, well before the sell by date. It's not worth the hassle or constantly returning it.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Glad you guys enjoy your Kroger. I find that mine tends to be priced higher than Walmart, with the more rude or better-than-you types "morally" shopping there over Walmart.

But some comments up thread make me also consider that Walmart here may be priced lower because there is only one in Bloomington and it is off on the far west side, basically by itself. The two Krogers, one on the west side and one near the hospital, are both in less than desirable locations with the clientele to match, possibly causing more loss and raising prices. Those high prices are happily paid by the people who avoid Walmart for whatever moral reason or the people who prefer some of the more specialized stuff that Kroger carries.

Top Bottom