• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sly14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I was in Walmart about 2 weeks ago. They just recieved an ammo shipment. It was selling faster than they could put it out on the shelf. They were selling it off of the cart. The associate advised that the last 3 shipments of ammo were sold before she could stock the cabinets.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I read that walmart placed the largest order with federal, next to the fed. govt. dont know if thats been said but I was also told by a friend who has a relative that works at a Federal ...

19Delta

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I was told by a Walmart employee yesterday that all Walmarts will have 9mm in Stock by the end of this month.

Time will tell!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It won't be in stock for very long.....

but you will be able to buy it online for a slightly escalated price from one of the Ammo Zombies who wait around for Walmart and GM to restock shelves.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Stopped at Wally's in Wabash last night,2 boxes of .270 and shotgun shells,no.223 .45 or 9mm a few 100 packs of cci .22 @ almost $14.00,geez

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    we have had people get fired at our local walmart for letting ammo go out the back door before it hit the shelves. They deserved it in my opinion. We do have shotgun and all the big rifle calibers, which have red price tags and clearanced.

Good luck all!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Walmart is most of the reason your local gun store can't get ammo. $%&* Walmart, support your local stores

That's just how a free market works folks. Bigger companies are able to gobble up smaller ones by the sheer volume of their sales. Therefore when it comes time to decide who gets what when there isn't much to go around, the big guys get taken care of first so they don't get angry and take their business elsewhere. That would be a disaster for the producer who only wants to sell as much product to the retail outlets as possible. To heck with the Mom & Pop stores and the service they give, they're not worth the trouble in the bigger picture.

Maybe one of our great Economists here can correct me if I am wrong. :D

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's just how a free market works folks. Bigger companies are able to gobble up smaller ones by the sheer volume of their sales. Therefore when it comes time to decide who gets what when there isn't much to go around, the big guys get taken care of first so they don't get angry and take their business elsewhere. That would be a disaster for the producer who only wants to sell as much product to the retail outlets as possible. To heck with the Mom & Pop stores and the service they give, they're not worth the trouble in the bigger picture.

It can happen that way. That isn't to say that every manufacturer and distributor chooses to operate that way.

At the end of the day, if 100 places want to buy ammo and they only have enough for 10 places... If they sell to the top 10 or split it across all 100 - they still sold everything they had to sell. The only difference is which places get it and how much of it they get.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I see, so you think that it doesn't always happen this way? Or that it might happen this way? or just that you don't really know?

SEE, having watched the way the BIG BOX Stores Drive the Mom & Pop store virtually out of existence, I am sort of perplexed as to how they manage then? If it isn't that they gobble up supplies, perhaps they are able to sell at a loss so that they get you into a store here while a store over there that is a good earner is able to support it until the competition is driven out of business? A Free Market does allow this to happen, we see it go on every day.

We have also seen a pretty good drop in friendly customer service, at least it seems so IMO. We have gone from the Customer is always Right to Don't bother me, can't you see I'm talking to my co-worker (or I'm on the phone with my wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/buddy/etc). Sure, you can vote with you wallet but at some point you have to decide how far you are willing to drive to find a non-bigbox experience.

Shoot, what am I doing here... sorry. Rebuttal is welcome. I'm done again and hopefully done for good.
    Why bother? Were you the one who said you were a Passionate Christian Mike? I'm bad with names and get sort of crossed up with so many threads here and there so if you aren't the one, forgive me.

What amazes me is how a person can be passionate about Christ, understand exactly what an absolutely free market winds up doing to at most of the participants and not be a little bit troubled by it. I'd explain why this isn't workable in a world of Sin but this is against INGO rules. Were we without this and living in the Kingdom, a Free Market would be perfect and grand but we aren't so there needs t be some oversight to keep the truly evil at bay.

That's all I have for you.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    While Im not about to get into the rest of it, Warthog inst entirely correct in his assessment as to why the "big box stores" outdo the little mom and pops.
    Its not selling at a loss, and its not sheer volume.

Product for product, Walmart can buy the exact same thing cheaper than the mom and pop, because they buy so much. They can then make the same amount of money as mom and pop, but sell it cheaper. They generally dont mark things up as much as mom and pop either, because they do rely on volume somewhat too, but thats all part of it. Volume out equals volume in. Volume in equals cheaper cost to them.
    There are ways to equal it out, as in buying groups, etc, which some do use, but not all.
    And that inst an excuse or anything of the sort for the box stores, just more info for those on both sides....

As far as walmart gobbling up all the ammo, Id have to say no to that one.
    My local shop has far more ammo in stock that the local Walmart does, and is generally packed on a daily basis with people buying that ammo.
    Just last week they had 5 cases of PMC .223. Nobody else in town has had that for a couple months....

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County

I would like to present another thought. The BUYERs make a free choice as to where they spend their money. Walmart forces no one to buy from them, they are simply a SELLER offering goods for sale. IT is the BUYERs making a free choice that sometimes results in "Mom and Pop" businesses leaving the market.

You may not like the way this works but it is the way it works. When you compare the price of ammunition a some LGSs to the price at Walmart, the "Mom and Pop businesses could walk over to Walmart, buy the ammo at Walmart prices and take it to their store and reprice it and still make money (in fact some employ this strategy). If people really want to support "Mom and Pop" businesses they need to simply shop there instead of shopping at Walmart. This rarely happens in real life however as most BUYERs would rather pay lower prices than make a political statement.

Put the blame with the responsible party. Hate BUYERs in the marketplace for killing "Mom and Pop" businesses.

Mysticwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Our wally world hasn't had any new ammo in over 5 months, they tell me every time I ask that they get trucks in everyday, but its a hit and miss if they get ammo I check almost every day and I have yet to see anything new, the shelfs always have the same ammo in stock, a few 12 ga slugs, bird shot 12 ga and 410 and 30-06, 30/30 7mm Mag, thats it. **** Wally world.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom