• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    My wife picked up a couple boxes of .22 ammo for me today at Walmart (Beech Grove). When the girl was ringing them up at the sporting goods counter, she asked my wife "Is this for a handgun?". Apparently the answer has to be entered into the computer when they make the sale. :xmad: WTF??!! Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife simply answered "no" but then asked her why she was asking. The cashier responded that she personally didn't care but they were required to ask. I don't know if they would have refused the sale had she said yes. Next time I try to buy ammo there, I plan to decline to answer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can't sell handgun ammunition to a person under 21. Walmart asks EVERYONE so that their cashiers don't have to make an age determination.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wonder if they actual know about ammo or if they ask that no matter what ammo you buy.
    I understand they have to ask for .22 but what if it's a handgun or long gun only caliber.
    Would they ask "Is that .223 for a handgun?"?
    Also I think it's just silly to ask, I know it's the law and that you cant buy handgun ammo if you are under 18 but you can just buy 9mm ammo and say it's for your 9mm carbine, same for .22 caliber.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well, to be honest, with the T/C Encore and Contender, there's not really much "rifle only" ammo anymore, but how do they know if you're lying?

Just like the idiots at most Wal-Marts probably wouldn't believe you if you were buying 9mm or .45 for an AR-15 variation, or carbine.

.357 or .44 for lever-action deer rifles... Would they take you at face value, or just register those are "handgun only" calibers and deny an 18 year old shooter unless he carried said long gun in with him?!

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I buy ammo at the Wal-Mart in Avon about once a month, usually 9mm, and no one ever asks me my age or what it's for. Maybe it's because I am 38? Don't know. I've never had any of the hassles some people report. :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can they actually check your ID if they dont believe you are over 18 or 21?
    Or just refuse to sale you the ammo if you refuse to show ID?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You can't sell handgun ammunition to a person under 21. Walmart asks EVERYONE so that their cashiers don't have to make an age determination.

Yep, that^.

"Is this for a handgun?"
    One time when the cashier asked me, it was probably bad of me but I pointed to the box and said "It says Long RIFLE right on the box". She said, "Oh right, I always forget that." (OK, sure whatever). Now when I get that cashier, it's faster. Like I said, probably bad of me...but hey, I gotta plan time to go through the FRONT check out with the REST of my stuff and inevitably end up in the line that moves the slowest with the cashier named "Missy" who has to SMELL each item before bagging it.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I wonder if they actual know about ammo or if they ask that no matter what ammo you buy.
    I understand they have to ask for .22 but what if it's a handgun or long gun only caliber.
    Would they ask "Is that .223 for a handgun?"?
    Also I think it's just silly to ask, I know it's the law and that you cant buy handgun ammo if you are under 18 but you can just buy 9mm ammo and say it's for your 9mm carbine, same for .22 caliber.

Why does the sales associate need to know squat about guns to sell ammo? U don't want the hassle go to a gunshop. When the day comes a gunshop sells a few billion dollars a year in product I bet they ask your age in an attempt to cover their ass.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I worked at Wal-Mart in the mid/late 90's the register would query "Is this for a handgun?" when I rang up certain types of ammo. The cashier would answer yes or no and then it would query "is the customer over 18" or "21" based on the answer to the handgun question.

When your cashier doesn't ask it's probably because they don't care enough to ask and they just punch whatever they want into the register to keep the line moving.

PS: Wal-Mart is awful and I wish people would stop shopping there.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Can they actually check your ID if they dont believe you are over 18 or 21?
    Or just refuse to sale you the ammo if you refuse to show ID?

if you want to buy the ammo there yes they can. same as the alcohol laws.
    it is programmed into the cash register for age ID on all items that require age verification. Whether the clerk asks or not is another story.

Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    One more thought is that upper executives make these rules and most of the people at the register just follow orders.there job is not that great anyway so I show a little compasion even if its hard to do sometimes after all we are all just trying to make it in this crazy world.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    One more thought is that upper executives make these rules and most of the people at the register just follow orders.there job is not that great anyway so I show a little compasion even if its hard to do sometimes after all we are all just trying to make it in this crazy world.

it isn't rules, it is law that handgun ammo can not be sold to anyone under 21

Top Bottom