• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    School me, Mosin experts. What I want is a shooter. How do I buy one that shoots accurately...let's say in the top 20 percent of what's out there.

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    find the cleanest shiniest bore you can find. in my experience, you're more likely to find an M44 or M38 with a near perferct bore over a regular 91/30. My Mosin Nagants are all great shooters, more accurate than I am at shooting them with iron sights. But if you really want the creme of the crop you need to find the best bore possible. If you're looking to spend more money, one of the sniper versions of the 91/30 would probably be a wise choice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you want an accurate rifle (other than the snipers) you might consider a Finnish M39. Assuming the bore is good, they're probably the most accurate of the "standard" Mosins.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Anything will be fun, but an M39 is about the best shooting main you will likely find. Some bores are like sewers, as stated above find a nice bore. Good luck and post pics!

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The Finns are nice, the Russians are easier to find. I prefer something made pre-war (WWII) as the condition and workmanship is usually better. And the "clean shiny bore" is a relative term when dealing with Mosins. Basically, if it still has prominent lands and grooves and a decent crown, it will clean up and shoot. You can even polish the bore. Your main obstacles to accuracy with an average Mosin are trigger and sights. They both suck. The good thing about recent years is there is now a decent aftermarket support foe Mosins, mostly drop in stuff.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Don't...

The Cult Leader is a Charismatic Gentleman who goes by the name "MillerTyme" and has ruined the lives of many shooters by extolling the virtues of an archaic rifle designed by God less Communists...Those joining the Cult reek of Yak butter and Commiesline (different than cosmoline as it is made from the blood of baby seals clubbed in Siberia). Bruised shoulders are commonplace amongst the Cult's members along with tatoo's of a Hammer and Sickle...Eventually you will get tired of the under $200 Mosin's and venture into the area of Finns, Sniper Rifles and the worst of all....New England Westinghouse's and Remington's....Don't do it.....

It has ruined many a normal gun buyer....

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Don't...

The Cult Leader is a Charismatic Gentleman who goes by the name "MillerTyme" and has ruined the lives of many shooters by extolling the virtues of an archaic rifle designed by God less Communists...Those joining the Cult reek of Yak butter and Commiesline (different than cosmoline as it is made from the blood of baby seals clubbed in Siberia). Bruised shoulders are commonplace amongst the Cult's members along with tatoo's of a Hammer and Sickle...Eventually you will get tired of the under $200 Mosin's and venture into the area of Finns, Sniper Rifles and the worst of all....New England Westinghouse's and Remington's....Don't do it.....

Says the man who is one of the main "Mosin drug" dealers in my area!!!:rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Don't...

Ah, yep. Once you start down that slippery slide, there ain't no stopping until you hit the bottom.

Says the man who is one of the main "Mosin drug" dealers in my area!!!:rockwoot:

Well, you know how it goes, if want someone to do something, tell them to do the opposite.:D

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Dross,

Welcome aboard!

Simple answer for you is to buy a Finnish Mosin. The M39 will be in the least expensive range.

Basically, the Fins lacked a heavy industry in the late teen's to the 30's and relied on what they could buy/take from their Russian neighbors.

Being a smaller, more educated country with a smaller economy they focused on making each shot count. So while the Russian design of the Mosin receiver was adequate, the Russian tactic of giving "reasonably" accurate rifles to peasants to use was not acceptable. Thus, the Fins kept the receiver and rebarreled all of their rifles to improve accuracy. Over time, they went through several stages of improvement on the stock, trigger, and so forth. All the while keeping the basic Mosin design.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    School me, Mosin experts. What I want is a shooter. How do I buy one that shoots accurately...let's say in the top 20 percent of what's out there.

OP if you want a great shooting Mosin and willing to spend more than what a refurb'ed Mosin costs then look for a Finn Tikka 91/30 ( not a finn captured 91/30) or any M39 with a good bore. M27's, M28's, 28/30's also are great shooters but command more money and all and all aren't any better rifles than an M39. If you like old school rifles then find a Finn barreled M91, cost are a little less than M39's and usually they are well worn on the outside, but again are mostly great shooters.

If you want to go top shelf then find yourself any of the following sniper rifles, Finn M28/76, Czech VZ54, Czech VZ54/91, or a Hungarian M52 They are all very high end ( $1000.00 + ) but will shoot rings around other Mosin's

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Don't...

Damn Rick I need a fix ..................BAD !

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Says the man with the Pine Tar addiction..............:spend:

When it comes to Finn's John is the man ! :bowdown:

Thanks Miller! Kinda like the guy getting washed away down a raging river telling people on the bank not to go swimming. At least I haven't gone over the waterfall of snipers:spend::spend::spend:. Yet. :):

OP if you want a great shooting Mosin and willing to spend more than what a refurb'ed Mosin costs then look for a Finn Tikka 91/30 ( not a finn captured 91/30) or any M39 with a good bore. M27's, M28's, 28/30's also are great shooters but command more money and all and all aren't any better rifles than an M39. If you like old school rifles then find a Finn barreled M91, cost are a little less than M39's and usually they are well worn on the outside, but again are mostly great shooters.

If you want to go top shelf then find yourself any of the following sniper rifles, Finn M28/76, Czech VZ54, Czech VZ54/91, or a Hungarian M52 They are all very high end ( $1000.00 + ) but will shoot rings around other Mosin's

This! One thing about Finns, the outside could be beat to hell, no bluing, repaired cracks but the bore more than likely is still spotless. My favorite 2 Finn shooter are both like that, and both are scary accurate. And really, they're not that expensive.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't...

All true. I'm still look for my first Remmy or Westy.

As for shooters, yes the M39 is good, but very heavy. A lighter and better looking alternative is a Polish M44. I've found them to be the best non-Finnish Mosins.

Some people perfer hex receivers and round and others prefer Tula made over Izhevsk (I think it's because it's easier to spell). As far a shooting there's not much difference. My suggestion is to see if you can find one still in it's cosmoline for that true Mosin experience.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you want an accurate rifle (other than the snipers) you might consider a Finnish M39. Assuming the bore is good, they're probably the most accurate of the "standard" Mosins.
    Of the M44, 91/30, and M39, the M39 is the best in terms of overall shooting. At the time we bought ours, they were also in better shape than their M44 and 91/30 counterparts, all else being equal. Not sure if that is still true today. Heavy is good if you want to minimize the shoulder beating.

dross, I noticed nobody mentioned the sticky bolt syndrome. It would be a disservice to someone looking to purchase a MN not to tell him about sticky bolt syndrome. It's fixable, if you have the inclination (and assuming it's not a real headspace issue), but it's a royal PITA initially.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I've got sticky bolt syndrome on mine. Anyone got some headspace gauges in Anderson that is willing to check it for me? I haven't shot brass through it yet and realize it could just be the cheap steel case ammo.

Top Bottom