• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Greetings...

In the market for a genuine Heckler & Koch model 91 rifle. I don't have any other rifles so I'll take opinions for and against this purchase.

I have a real H&K fetish but I'm open to hear your opinions.

Please send me offers directly via email or pm. Genuine H&K products only.

Rambone

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You might want to try posting in the want to buy forum.

Unless you wanted to just open discussion on the HK 91 and variants.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    H&K people seem to be that way until they die... any reason you would pass over an M1a? FAL? DSA-FA? AR-10? Availability may be an issue for you if you want parts, accessories. For some 'specialty' rifles, you find that extras are hard to come by, if they do at all.

GunsAmerica - Heckler & Koch Model 91 A-3 with retractable stock - Heckler & Koch Rifles > Tactical - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

for almost $3K. You could have an awesome rifle package of a wide variety of .308 rifles.
    Good luck with your search.
    Another question. Have you handled one? Shot one? These are just questions you should be able to reply 'yes' to and say that you have very good reasons for a $3K rifle. Do you know how to work on a roller-delayed blowback system? Have the tools? Do you know where to get parts? These are questions I ask myself now after a few dollars in spending/shopping/owning trying to find out what fits, works and shoots best in my hands.
    Do you even have a Ruger 10/22?
    DSA makes fine clones for half of what a real one costs.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Opinions can be found here in the Long Guns forum.

Offers need to be found in the "Want to Buy" forum in the Classifieds.

I've edited your title to reflect this.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I hate the 91! My friend has an original and it is the most punishing thing to shoot. The stock is short and puts your face right at the back of the receiver. It is basically like getting punched in the cheek every time you pull the trigger. I have also noticed the one he owns is not very accurate.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't forget that every weapon has pros and cons. I've had an HK since high school (not a word from any of you about how old I am) and offer my thoughts.

Pro: they are tanks. If you are prepping for Zombie Apocalypse then the HK91 is right up your alley. I like the bipod and the sights over 100 meters.

Cons: bad triggers, the 100 meter sight is less than optimal, the ergos stink (you need hands the size of an NBA center to manipulate the safety), some complain about the recoil but it does not bother me, the cost because of the '89 ban a real HK is going to cost you, HKs are picky about their ammo, my seems to love ammo from the RSA so that's what I feed it for now.

I would suggest learning to shoot before you start shelling out the dinero for such an expensive weapon. Just my advice, take it or leave it. Good shooting.:)

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Like the others posted, the HK series rifles are really less than ideal. I sold mine off back during the AWB. Poor check weld, very mechanical sound/ feel when firing (rolling block), shreds brass making it non reloadable in most cases, heavier (at least in feel) than comparable rifles os same caliber, expensive, parts are expensive and can be harder to find etc.... having said all that they do go bang every time, are quality built and typical HK ruggedness.

You either love 'em or hate I guess, but I just prefer the M1As, AR10 or even a FAL over the HKs....

If you really like the ARs, check out the AR10. If you want something that feels like a rifle check out the M1A/ M14 series of rifles. Nothing wrong with the FALs either.... but I sold them off too.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Another question. Have you handled one? Shot one? These are just questions you should be able to reply 'yes' to and say that you have very good reasons for a $3K rifle. Do you know how to work on a roller-delayed blowback system? Have the tools? Do you know where to get parts?

Thanks for posing these questions. This will be my first rifle larger than a .22 caliber. Got a few of those, time for some bigger toys.

The most I've dealt with this rifle is picking one up at a gun shop. I don't have a friend with one to let me shoot, prior to buying one.

Are there special tools to work on these? No I guess I don't know how to work on a roller-delayed blowback system. Is it complicated?

I'm hearing a lot about this kick it has. I've also seen some kind of end piece for its stock that tames it down somewhat. Guess I'll wait for more input on that.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    If you were smart you would buy the PTR91 in the for sale section. They are built better than HK's and have a heavier barrel. I have had several HK series rifle and now own a Vector 93 and a PTR91. The PTR91 is a great value, especially considering cheap mags.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    HK 93 is a horrible club of a rifle. What do I know though, it might be perfect for you.

Details from the other posters about recoil and such are right on. Horrible trigger, heavy and creepy.

The roller bolt is easy to maintain though. There is nothing to it. A bolt with three floating rollers. The chamber works the brass pretty hard.

If you really want one, get it. That is what a free citizen does, don't let me stop you. You can always sell/trade it later. Nothing like learning for yourself....

Regards

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    ARGGGGH. I said HK 93, instead of HK 91, which is what I meant.

The HK91 in 308 is what I am referring to.

Is there a civilian version of the HK93?

Thanks

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Is there a civilian version of the HK93?

Yes, that makes sense now. The HK93 series is light and compact, much easier to operate than the HK91. The HK91 series is big and a bit heavy, but I really like that .308 bullet coming out of the end. :)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had a HK91 years ago with all the options. I thought it was accurate and well made but I hated shooting it! For a 7.62 it kicked like hell, was heavy and awkward to handle, IMHO. Parts and extras were pretty expensive too. I sold it when the prices started going crazy and have never missed it!! I own and shoot several M1As. But I would try one of the quality clones that are available and see if you like the platform before you shell out the dough for the real McCoy. But for what a 91 is going for you could buy a fully loaded M1A, ammo, mags, scope, etc.... Just my $.02. Buy what you like and feel confident in. If ya buy one though I have about 6 Brand new aluminum mags I'd sell ya.

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    I have a PTR-91 and if u do decide to go with one I have two words: Bill Springfield. The man will make your trigger have zero creep and break like glass for like $50 including shipping and all you have to send him is the lower part, about a week turnaround on mine but that was like 2 or 3 years ago. Also I would recommend a good muzzle break which will really tame that recoil. I have a bipod and a magpul prs stock on mine with a jp enterpirses recoil eliminator on it. I get lots of looks at the range...:-) Also I don't agree that it chews up brass that bad, the chamber is fluted so it leaves crap allover the brass but you can wipe it right off and it looks reloadable to me.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'd like to mention that you may want to find a shop like Pop's Guns where you can go and 'rent' a firearm to shoot it. Perhaps you may find that the .308 as a first time cartridge is a little much. I did. My very first real rifle was an M1a. 2 months later I was buying a 10/22 to trick it out in weight and ergonomics so I could the Springfield and get practice with it. Once I got down the positioning and groundwork, I then went back to the .308 to work with recoil and reacquiring the target.

You may find that owning one (HK) might be great, but shooting it regularly may not be as rewarding.
    Where do you live? I, or I bet anyone on this site (most will) would volunteer a rifle at the range so you could shoot and decide. Sorry for rambling. It's just that $3K on your first that you've never shot and handled briefly is quite a gamble.

Top Bottom