• ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I love the G3 (HK91) platform.

I've owned two centurion 99's (sold one) and a PTR91. All three of them were FLAWLESS with any type of ammo. Including the elcheapo chilean stuff that splits cases, lol. Accuracy? The centurions would shoot 2.5MOA and the PTR91 closes in on 1MOA.

I can't speak highly enough about the platform. Some people don't like the ergonomics but that's on them.

I'd vote with everyone else who said get a PTR91 from cdnn. It's the only EBR on the market priced where it should be. $960 is a good price for that gun in ANY market. In this market, it's a steal IMO.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'd like to mention that you may want to find a shop like Pop's Guns where you can go and 'rent' a firearm to shoot it. Perhaps you may find that the .308 as a first time cartridge is a little much. I did. My very first real rifle was an M1a. 2 months later I was buying a 10/22 to trick it out in weight and ergonomics so I could the Springfield and get practice with it. Once I got down the positioning and groundwork, I then went back to the .308 to work with recoil and reacquiring the target.

You may find that owning one (HK) might be great, but shooting it regularly may not be as rewarding. Where do you live? I, or I bet anyone on this site (most will) would volunteer a rifle at the range so you could shoot and decide. Sorry for rambling. It's just that $3K on your first that you've never shot and handled briefly is quite a gamble.

I live in Valparaiso, IN. I looked up Pop's Guns and its a bit of a hike for me. Since you brought that up, I'd be much obliged if someone in the area wanted to take a newbie shooting their HK91 or HK91 copy.

Yes, the rifle commands quite a price, but Obama is intent on banning them so I'd rather buy now than wish I did in a couple months. The M1A-Socom is my second choice. In time, I'd like to own both. The question is the order in which to buy them. lol.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I live in Valparaiso, IN. I looked up Pop's Guns and its a bit of a hike for me. Since you brought that up, I'd be much obliged if someone in the area wanted to take a newbie shooting their HK91 or HK91 copy.

Yes, the rifle commands quite a price, but Obama is intent on banning them so I'd rather buy now than wish I did in a couple months. The M1A-Socom is my second choice. In time, I'd like to own both. The question is the order in which to buy them. lol.

That is the best reason, if any, to buy that rifle.
    I just mentioned Pop's Guns as an idea. You may post another thread asking for a shop like Pop's where you live.

Happy hunting!

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    .308 ammo has become relatively expensive and sometimes hard to find in bulk.

I'd hate to feed a .308 semi-auto these days

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Find a local FFL before you drive. Don't go to Blythe's, they charge $50 per transfer. If you are going to drive I'd say go to Karl from here on the site.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Who's Karl?

Find a local FFL before you drive. Don't go to Blythe's, they charge $50 per transfer. If you are going to drive I'd say go to Karl from here on the site.

Yep, I've found this out about Blythe's from my previous online gun purchases. I used to use Rangemaster's in Chesterton before they went out of business. I may ask around at Bass Pro Shop in Portage to see what their price is.

Unless you can help me find this Karl character. I'd be glad to use him if he's close and the price is reasonable.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Yep, I've found this out about Blythe's from my previous online gun purchases. I used to use Rangemaster's in Chesterton before they went out of business. I may ask around at Bass Pro Shop in Portage to see what their price is.

Unless you can help me find this Karl character. I'd be glad to use him if he's close and the price is reasonable.

Just look up Karlsbunker in the member section.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    If you don't mind driving, I've seen PTR91's (along with FALs and MANY M1A's at midwest gun exchange in mishiwaka. About 70 minutes from valpo.

You might want to call them first,
    I didn't see anything but mini-14s and a couple ars in their Mishawaka store
    last time I was there. (about 2 weeks ago)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Two things I did not like about the HK were the trigger pull and the fact that it sends it's brass into orbit. Everything else was OK with me, the rifle had a very solid feel.:)

BulletSponge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indy.
    If you have the money you can not buy a better rifle. One thing that you never read about an H&K 91 is that it's not reliable. They will run on anything you can stuff in the mag and will adjust to each round fired. If you find a gun and need parts just go to www.RobertRTG.com and buy anything you need for good prices. I have spoke to people who bad mouth the 91 only to find that they have never fired one or owned one. I rate the 91 as one of the three best 308 semi auto rifles in the world, being the FN-FAL, H&K 91 and the M1-A So you need one of each.
    The Good: They will go up in value faster than just about anything on earth. Parts are easy to find world wide. Build quality is top notch and has given H&K a good reputation, up to and including FN. Owning a H&K is like having liquid gold and if you need to sell it, it only takes hours not weeks. It fires the world class 7.62X51 NATO round.
    The Bad: I think they get heaver every time I pick one up "No I'm not getting older". If your a sissy they will work you over a bit when firing. Ammo is hard to come buy and is going up buy the second. People will bug you to death trying to buy it every time you take it out of the house. It will make you look like a true right wing nut to all your friends! OOPS that should be on the good list.
    If you find one and need mags, I have 250.

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    i have an hk 91,where do u live i would let u shoot mine befor u buy a gun like this,i love mine but i have had two shoulder surgerys and my shoulder cant take that recoil anymore

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    HK's are great. If you decide not to get one ?, you can pick up a nice well built FAL, for 1/2 the price of an HK. Here is my stg-58 Austrian version of the FAL. It shoots and handles like a dream. It is a matching numbers kit on a Coonan receiver. If you look at many gunboard forums or gunbroker?, you will be able to find a nice one. Stay away from Century.Hesse receivers. Imbel, Coonan, Enterprise, DSA. are good ones. Here is my example...

SnowCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Cetme

I own a Cetme 7.62 Nato. It is a great rifle if you don't reload and can find heavy wall Nato ammo. I do like the M1A more. It has less recoil, and will chamber ANY 7.62 or .308 commercial you can find. HK's and Cetme's eat brass for lunch.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I owned a HK91 back in the 80's. Paid $600 for a new one.

Great rifle and a good shooter. It won't win at Camp Perry, probably. But it was extremely reliable and combat accurate.

Mags are dirt cheap compared to other battle rifles, usually even cheaper than FAL mags.

With that said, I still drool over the PTR 91's, including first and second generation models.

Top Bottom