• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have a Frigidaire refrigerator in my house that has stopped cooling well enough in the last two days. I have no idea where to begin looking at it, so I thought I'd turn to faithful INGO for tips. I have googled it a bit but wanted hoosier opinions.

I don't know the date of manufacture as it was in the house when I moved in but it was a modern looking appliance. Items further back in the fridge are noticably cooler than items on the door, and the freezer seems to be working normally. Adjusting the temperature dial (to colder) will engage a motor (well something back there makes noise) but there is no real difference.

This fridge used to freeze water in the pitcher if it were set higher than 60% of its cold setting.

If its dead, alright, but I just look at fridges in other people homes that I know have had them for decades and feel as though there is something that can be done but I don't know where to start....

Thanks!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    may try pulling the unit out and cleaning off the coils in the back with a vacuum.
    Or possibly a fan motor....

It may just be time to get a new unit as well.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Check the freezer. Behind the back wall are coils that cools your refrigerator, if those are iced over, you will need a new defrost unit. Around $60-100.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    ...I should caveat with the reason the online stuff isn't that helpful is that I don't know what all the parts they say by name are.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Have you pulled the fridge out and looked at the back/bottom side? Is it dusty or dirty down there or nice and clean? Also do you see a pan, if so is there water in that pan?

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I had the same thing happen to my relatively new GE refrigerator a couple of years ago. I searched youtube and found a lot of help. What I learned let me diagnose the problem as a small fan motor that had quit working. The fan moved cold air from the freezer into the fridge, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the various youtube videos taught me how to fix it myself for the cost of a $50 motor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If the freezer is working normally, the compressor should be ok.
    The fridge receives cool air from the freezer.
    If the vent from freezer to fridge is frozen, no air gets to the fridge.

You're going to have to defrost that vent.
    In 20 years, I've had to do that one.
    Worked fine after. It just got overwhelmed, past where it could keep up.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    If the freezer is working normally, the compressor should be ok.
    The fridge receives cool air from the freezer.
    If the vent from freezer to fridge is frozen, no air gets to the fridge.

You're going to have to defrost that vent.
    In 20 years, I've had to do that one.
    Worked fine after. It just got overwhelmed, past where it could keep up.

There it was....all iced over at the back of the freezer. Some heat and time and everything is cooling properly again. Thanks!

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    There it was....all iced over at the back of the freezer. Some heat and time and everything is cooling properly again. Thanks!

If it does it again, it's most likely the thermistor. You can find the readings for it online and hit it with a multimeter. There's a place on the east side on Pendleton Pike just west (inside the loop) of 465. The guys in there will help out too and should have just about any part you need. I just can't recall the name, it's right by Menards.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Warm fridge = warm beer.... Bad:xmad:

Cold fridge = cold beer.... Good :D

Glad you got it fixed... I'm not sure on the new fridges, but the older one's use a defrost timer. They tend to stick sometimes, if it happens again you may want to look into it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Warm fridge = warm beer.... Bad:xmad:

Cold fridge = cold beer.... Good :D

Glad you got it fixed... I'm not sure on the new fridges, but the older one's use a defrost timer. They tend to stick sometimes, if it happens again you may want to look into it.

If it happens again.
    Another thing to look at is moisture.
    If the door seal is wearing out, you'll see a lot of moisture.
    In fact, there is a puddle at the bottom of my fridge.
    The seal is bad, and moisture gets in, then condenses. Just like your air conditioner.
    Take a look at the seal.

Timer or thermister also. But I'd wait and see.

Top Bottom