• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Thanks for a good read! The only thing I’ll disagree with is reholstering to handcuff. If I have someone at gunpoint, I’m not cuffing until backup is there to cover while I cuff. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to practice, so don’t take my comments as total disagreement with the premise. I was just curious as to what other reasons you had in mind.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for a good read! The only thing I’ll disagree with is reholstering to handcuff. If I have someone at gunpoint, I’m not cuffing until backup is there to cover while I cuff. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to practice, so don’t take my comments as total disagreement with the premise. I was just curious as to what other reasons you had in mind.

I get a man with a gun call at a well known housing project hotspot. It is shift change and I am overlap. As I roll up on the scene I see a large crowd of people. I radio dispatch that I am on scene and let them know what I see, and ask for backup. They respond that it is unknown when I will get backup.

At this point I go code 3 and roll in like a bat out of hell hoping it will break the crowd up. It works and I see someone on the ground with a man standing over them with an unknown object in his hands. I exit my vehicle in such a manner that I use it for cover, draw my pistol and order them to drop the weapon. They drop it and I move forward close enough to recognize it as a baseball bat. At this point I know I have to take this guy into custody myself before the crowd gathers again. I prone him out at gunpoint, noticing that the crowd is starting to return. Did I look down to reholster taking my already split attention off of the crowd and the suspect? No.

I am not sure how they do it now, but in the police academy they taught us how to reholster with one hand without looking and said you might need to use it someday. I needed to use it that day and others.

It is tough to make an all or nothing rule. So yes I agree for the most part you shouldn't have to reholster without looking, but there are exceptions

Last edited:

Jericho941Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2019
    Boone County
    I don't know why we have to keep having this conversation. Unless you're carrying a 320, modern guns don't go off by themselves.
    Even if that were still a problem, it would only be when it was dropped, unless theres something new I've never heard about. Anyway, I think the bigger threat that most people look at is the act of holstering/reholstering and getting the trigger caught in something. I carry appendix and make sure I go slow to reholster and verify it is clear before reholstering, but for new folks thats definitely a cause for trepidation.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

As mentoned and myself in my former Municiple PD job there were several times it was just me taking someone into custody from gun drawn to cuffs without backup. Sometimes backup is a luxury and you don't get to dictate much of how it goes down sometimes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Even if that were still a problem, it would only be when it was dropped, unless theres something new I've never heard about. Anyway, I think the bigger threat that most people look at is the act of holstering/reholstering and getting the trigger caught in something. I carry appendix and make sure I go slow to reholster and verify it is clear before reholstering, but for new folks thats definitely a cause for trepidation.

This is what comes to mind:

[Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Discharge | Guns Save Lives

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I am so sick of these "Modern Tactic" videos, from all sides, and the people who support and denigrate them. No, I didn't watch the 14 minute video (did you expect me to after seeing the first 3 seconds of a hyped-up prick?)

Do NONE of you have a functional brain housing group that can reason and sort out the the good and bad of every option available? Do we have to argue over every carry position like one is better than the other?

Do what works for you. Stop posting the videos of internet blowhards looking to monetize their videos.

It's so funny how people decry the skin Kardashians, then worship the gun Kardashians.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Can you explain some of the reasons not to look your gun into the holster? It seems to me that if you’re sure enough the threat is over that you’re putting the gun away, then a glance down isn’t an issue. I know training is your realm though, so I’m interested in your thoughts. The only reason I’m coming up with is for transition back to a long gun.

I can answer this. In a dynamic situation, you can't lose focus on a single functional manual operation when multiple threats may suddenly appear. You have to be situationally aware of all threats appearing on the horizon in the engagement zone and be prepared to to cyclonically engage them accorging to distance and threat value. How do you not already know this? Clearly, you are not fully herpetologically integrated into your weapon platform, and need additional remedial training so you can learn to maximize your force protection and projection initiatives in rapidly changing situational environments.

I can help you with that. It will require a rather large cash downpayment, and what might seem like nothing more than yard work and a small campfire with S'mores at the end, but previous graduates will extoll the virtues of this course.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Appendix carry works for me now that I've lost my gut. My body type (big chest/ shoulders, flat waist with some love handles) lends itself better as far as comfort and concealment go, even with full sized pistols. That being said, good belt clips or loops are a must if you are going to be bending over, carry while seated, etc. Cheap holster clips and/or an improperly sized belt could lead to it working loose as you move around.

Another thing I'll add for people who are thinking of this after they've lost some weight: get pants with your new waist size. If you've lost a couple of inches on your waist and are trying to make up the difference with a tighter belt, the fabric tends to bunch up; which creates space between your body and your holster and creating a scenario where you holster can work itself loose.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I think you said something about snakes. I’ll go listen to “Copperhead Road” and reassess.

This is crazy. I was looking for a nonsensical word to throw in that post last night just to see if anyone would catch it, and I was listening to Copperhead Road while typing, and the word just popped into my head, probably because I actually talked to a herpetologist a few weeks ago. :):

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I think you said something about snakes. I’ll go listen to “Copperhead Road” and reassess.

Oh, and BTW JS, if I can call you JS, if you like Steve Earle, take a look at Junkyard if you've not heard them. "Slipping Away" and "Simple Man" are pretty good. "Hands Off" is a good story, and "Blooze" is fun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not that I necessarily agree with this point of view, but Mr. Spaulding who is no flash in the pan or johnny come lately, doesn't see why you need to look at all.

[video=youtube_share;ewFCL_j491g]https://youtu.be/ewFCL_j491g[/video]

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was taught to unclip my 2:30 position IWB holster while reholstering w/o looking from Fortress Defense since I had a major hurdle due to a shoulder injury. I suppose I could carry 3:00 lefty OWB but didn't have a holster in time for the class. I have not managed to shoot myself since that quality training years ago. So I need to buy a lottery ticket? My friend advocates either AIWB or cross draw if you are seated even if for seconds. His name? Mercop. He'll even give you a free demo if you suit up...

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Just an observation I have seen a vast number of people sweep themselves when holstering at the 3 or 9 o'clock position As in the muzzle goes inward when they try to make contact with the holster. Wherw if they had a discharhe I'd be a nice downward into the pelvic/hip area. And it's been with everything from cheap to better made kydex holsters.

Like everything it always boils down to the person. And good and bad examples of both have probably been witnessed by most here

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Just an observation I have seen a vast number of people sweep themselves when holstering at the 3 or 9 o'clock position As in the muzzle goes inward when they try to make contact with the holster. Wherw if they had a discharhe I'd be a nice downward into the pelvic/hip area. And it's been with everything from cheap to better made kydex holsters.

Like everything it always boils down to the person. And good and bad examples of both have probably been witnessed by most here

Yup. IMO People overblow the issue of where the gun is pointing in appendix carry compared to hip carry. I've seen exponentially more unsafe holstering with hip carry than appendix. Using the muzzle to work the gun into the holster is, in fact, an issue I've only seen with hip carry.

interesting that the most-often cited problem with appendix carry -- where the gun is pointing during holstering / when it's holstered -- seems to be just as big of an issue with hip carry, if not moreso.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds to me like a fair amount of folks, including some of these "famous" trainers, are justifying pointing the the gun at themselves for holstering while AIWB carry by saying that strong side carriers point the gun at themselves too? :dunno:

I'm just some dummy that's been through some classes and a bit of competition, but why wouldn't we emphasize to not point the gun at yourself when holstering PERIOD? You don't get any free passes. It's never OK to point the gun at yourself.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Sounds to me like a fair amount of folks, including some of these "famous" trainers, are justifying pointing the the gun at themselves for holstering while AIWB carry by saying that strong side carriers point the gun at themselves too? :dunno:

I'm just some dummy that's been through some classes and a bit of competition, but why wouldn't we emphasize to not point the gun at yourself when holstering PERIOD? You don't get any free passes. It's never OK to point the gun at yourself.

Yoy have a perfectly valid point and sounds simple but its not that simple. Why? People are well.......people!

Heres what I mean Everyone that has a Driver's License took a test that says yeild right of way, don't speed, stop at a stop sign, and now don't text and drive and well here we are.

My observation is just what I have seen as a FLETC certified Firearms instructor and now teaching occasionally in the private sector as well as seeing a variety of skill levels in matches etc. Firearms training (or peoples skill and ability to grasp) is a triangle. Most folks at the top have mastered and are squared away and can safely do all handling drills safely, weak hand stuff etc But most of the bottom 3/4 need work and a majority of those think they got it but don't.

Top Bottom