• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yoy have a perfectly valid point and sounds simple but its not that simple. Why? People are well.......people!

Heres what I mean Everyone that has a Driver's License took a test that says yeild right of way, don't speed, stop at a stop sign, and now don't text and drive and well here we are.

My observation is just what I have seen as a FLETC certified Firearms instructor and now teaching occasionally in the private sector as well as seeing a variety of skill levels in matches etc. Firearms training (or peoples skill and ability to grasp) is a triangle. Most folks at the top have mastered and are squared away and can safely do all handling drills safely, weak hand stuff etc But most of the bottom 3/4 need work and a majority of those think they got it but don't.

I agree.

Also agree that it's not simple. There are a lot of folks out there running around that don't know what they don't know. They have gotten away with bad habits for long enough that they believe their way is the right way. Not to mention that often we gun carriers are type A personalities.

And, with all due respect, a lot of the safety culprits are those looked up to for their career and experience. Law enforcement and military are frequently part of the problem, if they don't train beyond their requisite or compete in shooting sports. I'm sure you have seen this as I have.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I agree.

Also agree that it's not simple. There are a lot of folks out there running around that don't know what they don't know. They have gotten away with bad habits for long enough that they believe their way is the right way. Not to mention that often we gun carriers are type A personalities.

And, with all due respect, a lot of the safety culprits are those looked up to for their career and experience. Law enforcement and military are frequently part of the problem, if they don't train beyond their requisite or compete in shooting sports. I'm sure you have seen this as I have.

No offense taken as I have seen and lived with it
    All of us Agency Trainers did our best to correct it but if they are either stupid enough to do it in front of a trainer on say qualification day, I always wondered WTH they did when us Trainers weren't watching....Probably a lot worse or something LOL

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Sounds to me like a fair amount of folks, including some of these "famous" trainers, are justifying pointing the the gun at themselves for holstering while AIWB carry by saying that strong side carriers point the gun at themselves too? :dunno:

I'm just some dummy that's been through some classes and a bit of competition, but why wouldn't we emphasize to not point the gun at yourself when holstering PERIOD? You don't get any free passes. It's never OK to point the gun at yourself.

I've seen people flag themselves while holstering with both appendix and hip carry, however moreso with hip carry. And I've only seen that thing where the muzzle is used to dig for the opening of the holster with hip carry, never appendix.

So my point was that I've seen more unsafe holstering on the range and in classes with people carrying on the hip compared to people carrying appendix. Maybe that's just because way more people hip carry, so of course it follows that there will be more instances of unsafe holstering with hip carry. Anyway, this is a training issue. Or sometimes an equipment issue with leather/fabric holsters with floppy sweatguards. Either way, this is not a problem with hip carry. It's just user error.

So, I wasn't trying to say that hip carry is more dangerous. It's not. And wasn't trying to justify appendix carriers flagging themselves because hip carriers do too. I think neither should. I agree with you that there is no reason to point the gun at yourself while holstering. I just think that the common idea that AIWB has biggerissues with flagging and holstering is wrong.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom