• ...and so much more!
  • cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Story time!

My buddy, girlfriend, and I were going back to my buddies house to drop him off after going to the batting cages for some practice. We were about 2 miles from his house when I notice a car similar to a LEO's in the right lane about an 1/8 mile up from me, stopped at the red light. The speed limit is 40 on this road and I saw the light was going green for us so I just slowed down some. It changed and I passed the car which is when I noticed it was a Howard County EMA car. He then switches lanes to get behind me and starts to get closer to me and then would back off, then do the same thing again. I was doing 45 the whole time this was going on and there were no other cars near us.

We get closer to my buddies house which is right off the road where he is following me. I switch lanes using my signal, turn, then turn onto my friends road, and park my car in front of his house. I then notice he comes around the corner and parks his car in the middle of the road about 75 yards behind me. I get out and am OC'ing my XDm 40. My friend and I get out of my car and go to the trunk to get our batting equipment out and take it in. He then pulls up to me and tells me that he is warning me to slow down next time. I asked how fast I was going and he replied 50 and maybe a little over. I asked how he could prove that and he replied that is what it showed on his speedometer when he was following me and that is guaranteed to be accurate by the city because they have them "regulated" (in his words) each month. I then asked how he was going to issue me a citation without any police powers and he said he could call KPD and they would write me one based on what he observed. I know I wasn't doing 50 or over and I have two other witnesses who were with me. I then told him to go ahead and call and he said he would let this go with a verbal warning. I then looked at him and told him he needed to stop lying and harassing me and to have a good night.

All this happened within about 5-7 minutes after I passed him. The only mistake I made was not asking his name. I do know the EMA director for Howard County and thought about filing a complaint. There was no need to follow us, tailgate us, wait behind us, and then drive up and start harassing us.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You should have insisted that he call the police. "Even better, how about if I call them for you?" :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    UH, **** YEAH file a complaint! I would have called 911. I cant issue traffic warnings and neither can that d-bag. I hope you get his ass fired. next time video tape it

Absolutely videotape it. I haven't seen an innocent civilian proned out with a wrestling move for awhile now. ;)

Yes, complain. At the very least, it's just a disgusting abuse of his position to pretend he has the power/authority to behave in such a manner.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    If it wasn't dark out, I would have recorded it with my Iphone. I just didn't think of using it as a voice recorder at the time.

So when filing a complaint, do you usually go to the place of employment or do it over the phone? I'm doing it tomorrow and the director works midnights tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. I will probably not involve him until after the complaint is filed and then talk to him about it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If it wasn't dark out, I would have recorded it with my Iphone. I just didn't think of using it as a voice recorder at the time.

So when filing a complaint, do you usually go to the place of employment or do it over the phone? I'm doing it tomorrow and the director works midnights tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. I will probably not involve him until after the complaint is filed and then talk to him about it.
    first I would call the police to make a report since what he did was illegal (he was saying he had police authority that he doesnt) thats impersonation of a police officer (i think?) the cops will know. they have it bad enough dealing with their own **** and dont need posers coming out and enraging the public playing cop.

then I would call his boss and give him the account and also the police report number. id make sure you speak to a officer and get a case number. the more info you remember the better chance of a prosecution later on this tool! id write it all down while its fresh.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    How do you "regulate" a speedometer?

I know that LEO cars have speedometers are "certified" every "X" amount of time. If you look at the dash of a "Police Interceptor" package Crown Vic it says "Certified Calibration" on the dash near the Speedo and Tac. I could only guess that is what he was referring to.

For the whole rest of the story REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I would have called the Police in a heartbeat. If you wanted to stretch it far enough you could have called what he did any number of things. I am not sure what the names of the actual statutes are called in Indiana but, in Illinois you could have tried for anything from Unlawful Restraint (detaining you for any period of time without legal justification) to Unlawful impersonation of a peace officer. I do realize that he never stated that he was a Police Officer but, he acted as if he were and wore a similar uniform and drove a similar vehicle.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know a few people at work that work for EMA. Judging by them, I'm guessing the standards aren't that high.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I know a few people at work that work for EMA. Judging by them, I'm guessing the standards aren't that high.

I've ran into a goofball or two on our version of EMA out by me but, the service that they provide is invaluable. They come out at all hours of the night and direct traffic, assist securing scenes, and provide countless other services FOR FREE! There are cops that ***** about doing their job for 30 minutes or so (until they get there) and they are out there for up to 12 hours and do not even ask for a hot cup of coffee or a bathroom break!

Top Bottom