• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Over 20 years ago there was a guy who built his own fireworks because his dad always had. He stuffed a 3" 3/8" wall pipe with blackpowder and lit it in front of his family. Shrapnel cut his wife in half and more shrapnel imbedded in the wall of a house down the road. Not sure what a safe distance is.

Isn't that called a "Pipe Bomb" ???

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Helpful hint from an engineer: the power of an explosion is directly related to the strength of the container. The lower the rupture point of the container, the less the boom.

That's why 25 grains of powder in a 5.56 case makes a loud boom and lit in a pan it makes not much sound at all.

Also, for a given wall thickness, a smaller pipe contains much more pressure. Thus, if you are using black iron pipe, the smaller diameter will be a more powerful bomb.

If one hypothetically built such a thing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Helpful hint from an engineer: the power of an explosion is directly related to the strength of the container. The lower the rupture point of the container, the less the boom.

That's why 25 grains of powder in a 5.56 case makes a loud boom and lit in a pan it makes not much sound at all.

Also, for a given wall thickness, a smaller pipe contains much more pressure. Thus, if you are using black iron pipe, the smaller diameter will be a more powerful bomb.

If one hypothetically built such a thing.

That's like real engineering...

I can help write the software for the detonator.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's like real engineering...

I can help write the software for the detonator.
    Officer, what this individual means is that, speaking hypothetically, if such a device were designed, he has the knowledge, but not the present ability to actually write such hypothetical software for such hypothetical detonator for such hypothetical device.

Just to make sure we're clear.

And the individual in question WILL NOT make any further statements on the matter.

Right?

RIGHT?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Officer, what this individual means is that, speaking hypothetically, if such a device were designed, he has the knowledge, but not the present ability to actually write such hypothetical software for such hypothetical detonator for such hypothetical device.

Just to make sure we're clear.

And the individual in question WILL NOT make any further statements on the matter.

Right?

RIGHT?

I'm talking about nothing more than consumer grade fireworks and model rocket launchers. :)

I still wonder why these guys were launching 3" mortars in a densely packed residential area.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I still wonder why these guys were launching 3" mortars in a densely packed residential area.

I don't like airborne fireworks in residential areas at all.

Fireworks are kinda cool...
    but watching embers fall on my house and camper is not fun, especially when the breeze is pushing all my neighbor's S*** over my property. fun when the crap goes sideways, too. this is the first place ive lived where most of that stuff is legal in city limits...

-rvb

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    When I was young I had some friends that lived in a lower income area of Indy and I went to their 4th of July party. As I stepped out of my car a 2 foot long bottle rocket came skipping down the street about knee high. It missed my leg by a few inches.
    I saw the kids that lit it about 50 yds down the street. They had a 2 foot long rocket stuck in a Coke bottle and thought that should be sturdy enough to hold it. Didn't stay long at the party because I kept thinking about rockets bouncing off my car.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When I was young I had some friends that lived in a lower income area of Indy and I went to their 4th of July party. As I stepped out of my car a 2 foot long bottle rocket came skipping down the street about knee high. It missed my leg by a few inches.
    I saw the kids that lit it about 50 yds down the street. They had a 2 foot long rocket stuck in a Coke bottle and thought that should be sturdy enough to hold it. Didn't stay long at the party because I kept thinking about rockets bouncing off my car.

The neighbors have an above ground pool and a LOT of EXPENSIVE inflatable pool toys. Well they did prior to their late 4th of July party last Saturday night! Apparently hot embers and errant bottle rockets greatly reduce the ability of poly vinyl pool toys to hold air!:rofl:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

10 yrs ago I watched my cousin's truck go up in flames when a mortar went sideways, into the back of the truck, where it ignited over $1k worth of fireworks.

this 4th I watched one of my neighbor's rockets start to tip over at launch and shot off at about 45 degrees, in the direction of where mine and my other neighbors' kids were playing. I was trying to keep them back 40-50 yds, which wasn't really enough... the kids were upset enough when I made them leave his property (they had been playing with his son) and come over to our property.

-rvb

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Our fireworks this year consisted of sparklers.

Entirely.

I'll let my neighbors indulge their own wallets and risk their own homes.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Entirely.

Hear hear... We were out early 4th looking for fireworks... Excaliber mortar kit- $75, blah blah blah. I said what would you rather spend $ on, fishing gear (he likes) and reloading components (dad likes)... We didn't spend much on fireworks...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There used to be public service announcements prior to the holiday, warning reminders of the danger. Maybe we should revisit that again next year?

Didn't some fireworks used to be illegal for purchase and use in Indiana?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Entirely.

No spleen splitter or whistling kitty chaser?

Didn't some fireworks used to be illegal for purchase and use in Indiana?

Yup. But now "1.4G" consumer grade fireworks (incl. aerial ones) are legal... with extra taxes, of course.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    To return to the reason for my posting this thread in the first place...... anyone know if Scott was part of INGO?

I live the next town over and have a pretty good handle on NWI guns and haven't met him. We did both work at the same hospital at one point.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The wife of the gentleman that was wounded works in the office of one of my relatives. My understanding is that it messed up the side of his head pretty bad, and he may lose his hearing on that side and need reconstructive surgeries. Plus he has major burns on that side of his body and his arm. He's still in the hospital. Sad, sad story for all involved. I don't do fireworks.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My FIL is an operating room nurse. He's been in on many fireworks-related cases over the years. Obviously, he has a strong aversion to fireworks....
    My wife was shocked to find out you can hold a sparkler without a welding glove. :)

-rvb

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Had a co-worker nearly lose the use of his hands thanks to a mortar. He thought it was a good idea to hold the tube. It wasn't.

I still set stuff off now and then. Its fun, and we are careful. Kinda like most things in life.

Top Bottom