Was your shop teacher missing any appendages?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did your shop teacher appear whole?

• Total voters

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Due to my recent acquisition of a radial arm saw from the INGO classifieds, my wife has done her duty by suggesting that I "be careful" and "not cut my hand off". I am inclined to oblige her request.

After assuring her that I would be safe, I felt the need to tell her about my middle-school shop teacher (you know, the one tasked with teaching shop safety) and how he was missing a finger. He would never tell us exactly what happened, only remind us that power tools must be respected. She proceeded to tell me that her shop teacher was missing THREE fingers!!

Anybody else have shop teachers missing anything?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My shop teacher wasn't missing anything as far as I could tell. But his name was Steve McQueen. That's pretty rad in itself. Those two things are totally unrelated but I said it anyway

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    A large number of people who uses power tools regularly end up missing something or has had some really close calls where they should have. The mistakes come from learning a new tool/technique or becoming too confident in one's power tool prowess and complacent in safety.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    One of my shop teachers had his big toe as a replacement for his thumb. Another was missing his left ring finger at first knuckle. Many stories surround it's disappearance including nose picking to "other things".

I still can't open a can with my right index finger since I cut the tip of it off with a knife. And I have slight paralysis in left wrist due to a knife accident. When you try to make a fake gas mask from a 2L coke bottle the knife can slip and get you.

With a firearm I am the safest person ever, hand me a blade and someone or something is getting cut. I am not good with blades...

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not my shop teacher, but years ago my uncle took off his thumb and forefinger with a buzzsaw. He was feeding wood into it and it somehow pulled his hand in. He was alone and out in the country and almost bled out before he got to civilization.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    First day of class my shop teacher started off his safety lecture by stating that after 25 years of teaching metal shop, he never lost any body parts.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    My shop teacher had all digits. But we had a kid in class that put his hand a table saw blade and went thru 4 fingers. They were able to save his finger and attach them back on.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Funny story. My shop teacher cut off his finger with a kitchen knife at home. Never had any missing parts from 20 years at the school

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    A large number of people who uses power tools regularly end up missing something or has had some really close calls where they should have. The mistakes come from learning a new tool/technique or becoming too confident in one's power tool prowess and complacent in safety.
    Or from a tool malfunction.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The two at my HS were both missing fingers. Four all together, one was missing three. His right ring finger and little finger and his left first finger while the other one was missing his right first finger.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Our instructor always seemed to be intact. The students on the other hand seemed to have an issue; in 7th grade shop class a classmate was using a table saw and had his thumb extended in such a way so that the spinning saw blade intersected his extended thumb right where it attached to his hand. Needless to say the thumb was severed. The student calmly shut off the saw, applied the brake and then climb up on top of the table saw where he retrieved his thumb which was now firmly embedded in the ceiling. After climbing down off the table he held the thumb up to his hand and walked over to the teacher. He said "look what I can do" and pulled his thumb away from his hand, the teacher promptly passed out cold.

We all thought it was pretty cool!:rockwoot:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    None of my shop teachers were missing any parts, but as Kirk mentioned also, one of mine couldn't hear it thunder either.
    However, in those days our town had several wood working industries, Tell City Chair being the largest.
    They had a full hour , open campus noon hour and there were several bars and liquor stores near the plants.
    A s*** pot full of those folks were nicknamed, " Stubby" ," Stubs" , "the Stub" etc, as missing digits were pretty common.

Top Bottom