• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Glad I'm my own boss. I run a construction/remodeling company and my firearm policy is (1) you must belong to the NRA and (2) must have firearm with person at all times, either in vehicle or on person:D

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Glad I'm my own boss. I run a construction/remodeling company and my firearm policy is (1) you must belong to the NRA and (2) must have firearm with person at all times, either in vehicle or on person:D

I wish I could find a job whit a boss/ceo like that!!!!!!!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You never know. Started talking about guns and got on the subject of Pistol Carry. Half the people around the water cooler whipped out the "little pink card".

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Many of the people at work know that I am into guns, but I don't have to worry unless our "Safety Officer" is fired/replaced. She is a hunter and has even been given days off to hunt. (she even brought one of her deer to work to show off)

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    You never know. Started talking about guns and got on the subject of Pistol Carry. Half the people around the water cooler whipped out the "little pink card".

Bonded with a squad leader that way! I was new to the unit, he asked where I was from, both of us being from Indiana.....it went downhill from there.

I'm the resident "gun nut" at work. But considering the majority of the people I work with are current or former military, no one cares.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I talk about guns at work, but no one seems to mind. I work in the ER and a lot of the nurses I work with are married to cops. It must be an epidemic. It's contagious too, because one of clerks is dating a cop now. LOL.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I work security in a public healthcare facility and I have
    to be very careful about speaking of any ownership or use
    of firearms. The "left" is out there and looking for any excuse
    to terminate any employee who they belive might go postal.
    However, if a serious situation arises, an armed person enters
    that facility, staff calls us first. With my firearm locked in my
    vehicle, I will be the first one out the exit door...good luck suckers.:nuts:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I was one of a couple gun guys at my job until I got laid off. Several of us went to Kingsbury and we introduced a coworker/friend to shooting. A couple saw me open carrying after I got laid off end of June as I walk around the neighborhood sometimes and I live only 5 minute drive away. When I went in to discuss my severance one guy joked with me and said he was going to pat me down. I said - I wouldnt recommend that but if you find something it's legal. :)

One odd experience that happened was that a guy one time asked me if he could borrow one of my guns. I asked why and he said so he could shoot his dog as it had bit his kid. I told him no way!

lacroixdp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With all the nutjobs at the workplace nowadays, I don't talk about firearms at all. Leave it to the 'open minded' people to permanently shut someone up over a simple conversation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    3 out of the 6 of us at work have our LTCH. The guy I work closest with does not, he is not fond of handguns, he has a 10/22 and maybe wants an XD M one day. He does not have his license nor cares to get it, I think his crazy wife has warped his mind. The 5th guy is somewhat of a gun guy but has had a serious felony charge and cannot get an LTCH. The last guy. I have no clue about, never heard him talk about guns other than pigeon hunting.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The "Big" boss just received his LLTCH and bought my old 9mm so I think I'm safe as long as he's there.

Also, in addition to checking the state laws, I checked and re-read our 75 pg employee handbook and there is absolutely no mention of firearms anywhere. so until the book is re-written, I don't think they could fire an employee just for talking about or possessing one as long as they are legally allowed to have it.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I have taken a work place safety class in college and they warn about those that talk about guns and carry weapons as a threat to workplace safety. I have been asked at a job interview if I owned and carry firearms. If you work for a anti gun company than I would tone down the gun talk. Who knows maybe a fellow worker will break into you home and try to steal you guns as well. Comon sense should be the rule here.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    at work there were the three amegos, me, frank and tony, all three of us gun nuts with nice collections, frank has died from cancer, tony was murdered at home while reaching for gun, I've been the go-to-person for gun questions for the last two years at work, for the ones who say that guns kill people, I say I can lay my guns on the floor and forever more they will not shoot and they would'nt it's the person that picks it up and pulls the trigger doing the killing!!!!!!!!:twocents: And I'm proud to say I work for the u.s.postal service:draw:of all the work place shootings in the past fews years, none at any postal facility that I am aware of.:patriot:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The "Big" boss just received his LLTCH and bought my old 9mm so I think I'm safe as long as he's there.

Also, in addition to checking the state laws, I checked and re-read our 75 pg employee handbook and there is absolutely no mention of firearms anywhere. so until the book is re-written, I don't think they could fire an employee just for talking about or possessing one as long as they are legally allowed to have it.

Well, you have to watch out. Unless you are working under an employment contract, you are an "at will" employee. That means you can be fired "at any time for any reason". Now, people who get fired for discriminatory reasons can file lawsuits, but a careful employer can fire an "at will" employee and get away with it. I'm not saying that this would happen, I'm just saying not to push the envelope if you are an at will employee. Have you ever heard of a situation where somebody's position was eliminated? That is a textbook example of how to fire an at-will employee.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    At my job, I can't have a gun anywhere on company property, even if it's locked up in my vehicle. I had been carrying before work and stuck the gun in my center console and then locked it and went into work. The guys I work with in receiving know I love guns and shooting so when someone in the breakroom was talking about what would happen if anyone came into the store and started shooting, what they would do, one of my guys said they'd just go to me because they're sure I could handle it. Someone went to management and said I had a gun on me at work. So after my coat and my locker were searched, I was taken to the office and asked if I had a gun in my truck, they said if I told the truth and there was one, I would be sent home for the rest of the day for a one day suspension, but if I said no and there was one, I would be fired. That just happened to be the day it was in my car, so I said yes and took my suspension. So now I always try to get home before work so I don't have to take my gun to work, but I hate not having it when I go out after work. Stupid rule, but it's better than getting canned.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    At my job, I can't have a gun anywhere on company property, even if it's locked up in my vehicle. I had been carrying before work and stuck the gun in my center console and then locked it and went into work. The guys I work with in receiving know I love guns and shooting so when someone in the breakroom was talking about what would happen if anyone came into the store and started shooting, what they would do, one of my guys said they'd just go to me because they're sure I could handle it. Someone went to management and said I had a gun on me at work. So after my coat and my locker were searched, I was taken to the office and asked if I had a gun in my truck, they said if I told the truth and there was one, I would be sent home for the rest of the day for a one day suspension, but if I said no and there was one, I would be fired. That just happened to be the day it was in my car, so I said yes and took my suspension. So now I always try to get home before work so I don't have to take my gun to work, but I hate not having it when I go out after work. Stupid rule, but it's better than getting canned.

That sucks. Hopefully you found out what POS did that to you.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah... I think they'd be showing me a search warrant before they searched my car. If they fired me for not allowing them to search my car, they'd be hearing from my attorney.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    That sucks. Hopefully you found out what POS did that to you.

Yes, I found out who did that to me. He and I had a little talk after work where I politely informed him that having a gun was my right as an American citizen and not everyone with a gun was out to shoot up places and/or rob people or places. I also told him that since the "no guns on company property" rule was in the company handbook, I would abide by the rules of our employer. I told him that if he sees me or anyone else out and about with a gun on our hip, he should not be so quick to assume that we were criminals or were going to shoot or rob someone.

Top Bottom