• Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I disagree.

Would not a woman be considered battered, because she only took one punch from a man? Or how about a Mike Tyson placing one punch with his bare fist?

In any event, one punch resulted in a foreseeable result of the affected person hitting the ground.......which is hardly an indirect result.

If you throw a punch, you are responsible for the end result.

I don't disagree with either of your comments but what I do disagree with is that one single punch - no matter its efficacy or consequences - constitutes a "beating" in the normal sense of the word.

Again, I agree that one punch constitutes "battery", and one punch from Mike Tyson would likely result in a KO (but NOT, I submit, a beating), and I also agree that everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    The Police office most likely did not intend to put the guy in the hospital. With that said. He had better not get away with it. In my experience there are really good police officers that care about people and really are there to "Protect and Serve" I have known quite a few of this category. If you are reading, thank you. Then you have the bullies and thugs. People that love the power trip, and love pushing people around. Unfortunately this guy now gets lumped with the few that give Police officers a bad name. He erased every good deed he ever did with one really bad judgement call. End of the day, if I knocked somebody out I would be sitting in jail and facing a lawsuit. That is where he belongs. My prayers go out to the Vander Lee family. And to the the family of the officer.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've wanted to tell people to shut up on their phones several times... wouldn't have punched anybody unless they hit me first... then bets are off as to what I'd do, lol. I don't react well to getting punched.

Prayers for the victim and his family.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    While stipulating most of what you've said here, Counselor, I'd like to take issue with one part of your comment: one punch doesn't count as a beating in my book. Quite possibly it's sad that that one punch resulted, indirectly, in major damage, but it wasn't a "beating".

You can substitute "bludgeon," "smash," or "bash" if you wish. I don't think it changes anything.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    You can substitute "bludgeon," "smash," or "bash" if you wish. I don't think it changes anything.

Ageed.

If a person is stabbed only once, it doesn't change the fact that the act was a stabbing.

If a person is beaten to death, does it matter that it was only one punch?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Roid Rage? :dunno:

I recently read a story estimating 25% of LEO do it at least occasionally...

I could see a SWAT XO at 47 feeling a need for a boost.

Or maybe he's just an asshat.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm not going to make excuses for this guy. He shouldn't have punched the guy; he shouldn't have left after he did it. On the other hand, I say again, I say again, I say again, ONE PUNCH is NOT a beating - which I would define as continuing to strike an individual past the point where that individual ceases to fight back or surrenders. While the officer should be subject to the legal judicial and civil consequences of his actions, let's don't mistake what might be taken as a reasonable "pro-active" response to an assault (depending upon EXACTLY what was said between the two) for a case of a cop looking for trouble and just whaling on a suspect for the adrenaline rush.

One thing that troubles me is that this officer's behavior after the incident is the same thing that IMPD Lt. Rinehart did this weekend. I worked with Lt. Rinehart for years on special events in the city, and it surprises me that not only would he be in trouble for drinking and driving, but that he'd leave the scene of an accident as well. I'm not sure what could cause two - presumably in the case of the SWAT XO - well trained and seasoned police officers to leave the scene of an incident when they had to know they were making things worse.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    One thing that troubles me is that this officer's behavior after the incident is the same thing that IMPD Lt. Rinehart did this weekend. I worked with Lt. Rinehart for years on special events in the city, and it surprises me that not only would he be in trouble for drinking and driving, but that he'd leave the scene of an accident as well. I'm not sure what could cause two - presumably in the case of the SWAT XO - well trained and seasoned police officers to leave the scene of an incident when they had to know they were making things worse.

i understand and agree with this but at the same time they are still human and that oh crap moment. i dont really find this leaving the scene issue to be that big of a deal as far as their character. good people can do stupid things and get scared and do more stupid things. my guess is that both of these guys you mentioned and the one from the OP are good guys who just had a brain fart and made a stupid choice/s we've all done it, some of us are blessed and have gotten away with it.

jake

jake

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm not going to make excuses for this guy. He shouldn't have punched the guy; he shouldn't have left after he did it. On the other hand, I say again, I say again, I say again, ONE PUNCH is NOT a beating - which I would define as continuing to strike an individual past the point where that individual ceases to fight back or surrenders. While the officer should be subject to the legal judicial and civil consequences of his actions, let's don't mistake what might be taken as a reasonable "pro-active" response to an assault (depending upon EXACTLY what was said between the two) for a case of a cop looking for trouble and just whaling on a suspect for the adrenaline rush.

The left the scene for the exact same reasons joe schmoe does.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I told you, take out "beating" and put in "bludgeon." How does it make it better?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    My opinion is what difference does it make? Change the word, does it really make any difference to what was done?

why does it have to be a beating or a bludgeoning or any other word?

why cant it just be.....guy punched the other guy once" thats the truth, thats what happened.

to me a beating is multiple hits

bludgeoning is smacking someone in the head with a hammer for example

to call it a beating just isnt honest in my opinion. of course none of this changes the fact that the off duty cop (if that matters) punched a guy. if we're going for the truth call it what it is

jake

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    why does it have to be a beating or a bludgeoning or any other word?

why cant it just be.....guy punched the other guy once" thats the truth, thats what happened.

to me a beating is multiple hits

bludgeoning is smacking someone in the head with a hammer for example

to call it a beating just isnt honest in my opinion. of course none of this changes the fact that the off duty cop (if that matters) punched a guy. if we're going for the truth call it what it is

jake

I'm not the one hung up on the words. How about we call it an unprovoked attack by a cop that left a guy nearly dead, and who may still wind up dead from the injury? That's if we're trying to be completely accurate.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I'm not the one hung up on the words. How about we call it an unprovoked attack by a cop that left a guy nearly dead, and who may still wind up dead from the injury? That's if we're trying to be completely accurate.

i can pretty well go with that :D

jake

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This is the result of a single punch? Damn.

picture.php

As is common, the assailant is on paid leave. Making bank after bailing out of the tank.

This is also the same Police Department that gave medals to a SWAT team that raided the wrong house.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/36059839.html

What a twisted, backwards culture. I just can't understand.

More on the story, including the Blue Wall.

http://www.theagitator.com/2012/06/...inneapolis-swat-team-beats-a-man-into-a-coma/

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't disagree with either of your comments but what I do disagree with is that one single punch - no matter its efficacy or consequences - constitutes a "beating" in the normal sense of the word.

Again, I agree that one punch constitutes "battery", and one punch from Mike Tyson would likely result in a KO (but NOT, I submit, a beating), and I also agree that everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Agree...one solid punch is exactly that, one punch. A beating is something you get for doing this on the west side of Indy by where we live. It is several blows and kicks coming from all directions constituting a beat down. One punch is a ....wait for it...knock down.

The officer should have been more controlled. He is trained for this. Poor judgement on his part. On the other hand I do so hate A$$ hats like the cell phone user. Take it outside....please.

Top Bottom