• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I am needing to replace my water softner. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what to use and what not to use?

It is only my wife and I in the house but we have our grandkids here quite often and they will be getting older and taking longer showers, so figure in for the use of four to six people.

Menards has this one in stock and they are running their 11% off sale

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...ner-45-000-grain-capacity/p-198673-c-8682.htm

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I am needing to replace my water softner. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what to use and what not to use?

It is only my wife and I in the house but we have our grandkids here quite often and they will be getting older and taking longer showers, so figure in for the use of four to six people.

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...ner-45-000-grain-capacity/p-198673-c-8682.htm

:twocents:......Junk........buy once.........

culligan2.jpg

culligan-logo.png

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I bought a Kinetico back in 95. Pretty pricey, but it has dual resin tanks, operates off a water impeller meter, so no electricity.

But it still works after almost twenty years.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I have a std Flex 5600 system on well water. I recently rebuilt the valve with a rebuild kit from ebay/amazon ($56). Relatively simple and works good as new. Every 5 to 10 yrs depending on your usage and water quality. Replaced an older system with one I bought online. Everything lined up so no new plumbing was needed. About $400, now about $500.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have a morton unit from Menards from about 6 years ago. It works and is my first water softener so my experience is limited. I don't think it has many bells and whistles but it does work and has been problem free the whole time.

We have city water too.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have a Morton (34000 grain?) that is about 4 years old

We had a smaller, non-functional, 80's vintage softener in the house when we bought it... and we had major water spots (glasses came out of the dishwasher frosted) and gritty fixtures and shower floor. So we replaced it with the Morton we installed it ourself and nearly maxed it out (setting 45 of 60) for about a year until the pipes cleared up, now it's running about 30% of it's rated capacity (25 of 60) and we are now having no issues... though it is about time to clean out sediment.

It feeds everything in our home (washer, dish washer, kitchen & bathrooms sinks, water heater) the only fixtures not on it are the outside water spigots.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a KENMORE from Sears, built my house almost 20 years ago. It was 1/4th the price of the Kinectico and also much cheaper than the Culligan. It works very well, never a problem. I have very hard water with lots of iron. The KENMORE does the trick. I think Kinectico and Culligan sell hype and charge extra for it. Why pay $2000 for something when a $600 unit will do the job?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's another happy Aquasystems user. We replaced an old one with a new system a couple of years ago and have the softest water imaginable. The AS guys were right on time and service is great, (if you actually needed it. I've got a 7 year warranty on mine (got it through a special they were running), most of their warranties are still 5 years. Works very well and doesn't eat up half the salt our old one did. (They currently have one at AS for about 200 less than the one at Menard's you posted).

Aqua Systems - Water Softeners Bottled Water Drinking Water

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Im on my 2nd water boss. The 1st lasted around 15 years, the 2nd one is about 5 years old. When the first one died I tried doing a lot of research and couldn't see added benefits from spending more money. There is at least one water softener forum I found that was very active, the more I read the more confused I became. My water boss uses very little salt which is important to me. When I first start buying the iron remover salt was $1.88 a bag, now I think its close to 5 bucks.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I guess I should have said what I currently have.

I have a Culligan Mark 89

I bought my House in November of 2012. When I took possession of the house the water softener was gone. I contacted my realator and she said that she would check on it. She called me back and said that it was rented and owned by the previous owners. She also said that since it was included in the description that they would have to replace it. They called Culligan and they said that they would rebuild the unit and put it back in the house for $1000. The realators split the cost and gave me a check to pay for the unit.

This November it will be 12 years ago. I actually have no Idea the actual age of the unit since it was rebuilt but used. I have had a couple issues with replacing some parts including oring in the valve body. It is not working again and I am wanting to upgrade to a newer unit that is on demand instead of the set it for the days you want by pushing in or pulling out the pins that trip the regeration lever.

I think that I will stay away from the big box stores and go with a better unit.

I am looking at a Flex 5600 right now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    + 3 on the Aquasystems. I also have their RO system. Everything works fine but I got 15 years out of my Sears unit so I can't really say it's better.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

If you are still considering a purchase from Menards, keep in mind that "11% off sale" comes back to you in the form of an 11% store credit on the amount purchased. Initially, you will pay the full price of the unit.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you are still considering a purchase from Menards, keep in mind that "11% off sale" comes back to you in the form of an 11% store credit on the amount purchased. Initially, you will pay the full price of the unit.

I have spent about $2000 this year already at Menards so we receive and use the rebates all the time. They basically just hold some of your cash temporarily.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I have Culligan water softener, it works well, uses very little salt, requires minimal service. Check if Culligan runs any specials.

Top Bottom