• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I understand that water is a necessity for a healthy body, but I just don't find it to be very satisfying. I drink a lot of tea and can go days without drinking plain water. I've heard that adding anything to sweeten water simply nullifies any benefit that it provides, because the kidneys have to work to remove whatever was added. Does anyone know the facts about hydration and if additives are just bad?

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I don't think it is necessarily been proven or not, but it is thought that artificial sweeteners do in fact cause you more weight gain than normal. This is because the sweeteners trick your body into producing insulin to break down glucose that isn't there. This excess insulin then causes your blood sugar to drop significantly, and thus your metabolism also slows.

I'm not sure how much truth is in it, but this is something my oncologist father has been spouting for a while now, and anyone with a basic understanding of glycolosis understands the metabolic changes that could potentially occur.

The potential carcinogen affect from them is also unproven.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I can't explain what you want, but I can tell you what the Army, told us .....
    Drink water, 1 qt., per hour while working in HOT conditions.... If you want to drink something else, water one hour, and Gatorade, the other....
    ( I drink tea, constantly, in the summer ..... SWEET !!!!!).....

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I think saying that adding anything nullifies the benefits of water is a bit dramatic, but I do hear people claim that all the time. You're still receiving hydration when you drink tea or soda, just not quite as much.

What kind of sweetener do you use in your tea? If real sugar, than you aren't necessarily "hurting" anything other than your teeth. The kidney can do a pretty darn good job of eliminating sugar or breaking it down and converting it into energy stores.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For clarity, I'm talking about energy additives or even plain sugar, just to make water consumption a bit more pleasurable.

If I'm working out or doing anything strenuous I can drink plenty of water. However, if I want to just drink the recommended 64 ounces a day as I'm sitting behind my desk, it's not likely to happen. That sweet tea calls my name!

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    For clarity, I'm talking about energy additives or even plain sugar, just to make water consumption a bit more pleasurable.

I stay away from energy additives. They try to play off the "natural" act, as if that makes them instantly healthy. Anything that artificially increases sympathetic activity (fight or flight) can be detrimental to health.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I started getting serious about my water drinking when I got back into shape 2.5 years ago. I could not drink 64 ounces of water a day as to me, it had no taste and I had to force myself to do it. I started adding the Crystal Light flavoring and was easily able to drink at least 64 ounces a day and have been for the last 2.5 years. I dropped almost 30 pounds and have kept it off by watching what I eat, reducing carbs, eliminating pop, becoming a total exercise Nazi...and drinking water. The Crystal Light and off brands like Marsh Food Club "+H2O to Go" have 5 calories, 0 carbs, 0 sodium, 0 sugar. I pour the individual packets into a 16 ounce water bottle and drink away. I have them at work and in my truck because they are easy.

Long term effects, I have no idea. Short term, it enables me to drink at least 64 ounces of water per day.

Dirty Steve

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I drink 2 gallons of water a day. The only thing I do to it is keep it cold. MTFU and drink your water :D

My wife uses a drink mix to put in her water. It's packets of flavoring. Strawberry, lemonade, stuff like that. And it's sugar free.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Once you have had stones water taste pretty good.
    Ask me....I know.
    I used to drink a lot of diet soda.
    I had my last one about 1 hour before going to the emergency room. That was Labor Day 2008.
    You might want to give lemonade a try.

C.M.Burns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indy
    I don't think it is necessarily been proven or not, but it is thought that artificial sweeteners do in fact cause you more weight gain than normal. This is because the sweeteners trick your body into producing insulin to break down glucose that isn't there. This excess insulin then causes your blood sugar to drop significantly, and thus your metabolism also slows.

This is true. +1

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Once you have had stones water taste pretty good.
    Ask me....I know.
    I used to drink a lot of diet soda.
    I had my last one about 1 hour before going to the emergency room. That was Labor Day 2008.
    You might want to give lemonade a try.

Are you saying that lemonade is healthier than tea?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I drink 2 gallons of water a day. The only thing I do to it is keep it cold. MTFU and drink your water :D

My wife uses a drink mix to put in her water. It's packets of flavoring. Strawberry, lemonade, stuff like that. And it's sugar free.

You can see a difference in people who drink water. I don't mean this to be funny in any way, but people who drink water have very clear complexions and clear eyes. I want to improve the health of my skin, which is important with aging.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    My wife and I keep a big bottle of lemon juice next to the fridge. We drink it straight from the tap with a squirt of lemon in it. the Ascorbic acid in the juice removes the Chlorine and alkalizes the water.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

If I'm working out or doing anything strenuous I can drink plenty of water. However, if I want to just drink the recommended 64 ounces a day as I'm sitting behind my desk, it's not likely to happen. That sweet tea calls my name!
    My dietitian, who you can contact for verification Ask The Dietitian, said that any none caffeinated or non carbonated sugary drink (ie coke, Pepsi and such) can count as your water. you just have to count the added calories in your diet. so Gatorade, hot tea, iced tea, coffee and such are all ok as long as you are not prone to kidney stones. people with kidney stones need to drink clear liquids to help prevent the stone buildup.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville

What he said. I've cut my water consumption back from about 1 1/4 gallons daily to about 3/4 gallons, but the old adage about 64 oz being the recommended amount is actually somewhat low. Your kidneys WILL process the additional water and it'll help remove toxins from the bloodstream. And yes, keep the water cold. It serves two purposes - it'll keep it from tasting as bad (I'm convinced the water at my work is just recycled toilet water) and the colder water will make your body metabolize more to maintain temperature. It doesn't contribute much, but the additional metabolism does burn a bit more fat.

Top Bottom