• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    But that's not the main program that the NRA does. The bigger picture since its inception has always been shooting sports, education and shooting competition.
    And if that was really the logical choice why was it moved from downtown DC in 1993?
    I don't know anything about a decision that was made nearly a quarter century ago. Maybe they looked at space needs and costs?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The NRA national headquarters was on 16th st in DC until 1993 or so, and it built a new building in Fairfax, Northern Va.
    They were talking about moving to Texas a few years ago, it never came to fruition.
    They have been having lots of problems with the building falling apart.
    That's not uncommon with a 30 year old building. My daughter works in a federal building. Talk about issues!

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Finally. Wayne is out. It is about time.

Good Riddance. I can only hope that maybe the NRA can get back to actually defending all of our rights instead of just the ones that help them politically.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Good Riddance. I can only hope that maybe the NRA can get back to actually defending all of our rights instead of just the ones that help them politically.
    This makes me laugh, like several other points in this thread. Said like the NRA was some juggernaut 2A defender for the last 100 years or more and they have just strayed from their roots.

For the most part the NRA was just about what @Creedmoor says, a safety and training organization with little political clout. That changed in the 70’s when some took over and they became more politically active into the lobbying organization they are today.

The NRA grew and grew in political power, that is until this crap...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That's your take. Sure, pay people 50% more than you need to.
    I think purple was implied in Expat's comment.

The proposed move to Texas was not an attempt to lay-off an expensive D.C. workforce and replace them with more affordable Texans. It was an attempt to escape the attention-seeking NY Attorney General machine which has been a stepping stone to the NY Governors' office for people like Elliott Spitzer.

The zip code where NRA currently resides is one of the richest in the Nation. That's not an accident, and I will assure you it was not chosen with penny-pinching in mind. DC in general is expensive, but that's where the "game" is. The NRA is not some insurance call-center trying to minimize employee cost of living and employment expenses by locating in Muskogee RFD. Alexandria is a tony suburb and it's where the NRA decision makers (and their stylish wives) wanted to live.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think purple was implied in Expat's comment.

The proposed move to Texas was not an attempt to lay-off an expensive D.C. workforce and replace them with more affordable Texans. It was an attempt to escape the attention-seeking NY Attorney General machine which has been a stepping stone to the NY Governors' office for people like Elliott Spitzer.

The zip code where NRA currently resides is one of the richest in the Nation. That's not an accident, and I will assure you it was not chosen with penny-pinching in mind. DC in general is expensive, but that's where the "game" is. The NRA is not some insurance call-center trying to minimize employee cost of living and employment expenses by locating in Muskogee RFD. Alexandria is a tony suburb and it's where the NRA decision makers (and their stylish wives) wanted to live.
    I wasn't really speaking to the reason for their move. I was more commenting on the necessity of having the HQ there because they needed to be close to DC to do their thing. Sure the lobbyists need to be there, but accountants, marketing people, etc don't.

It's just another example of unnecessary waste.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I wasn't really speaking to the reason for their move. I was more commenting on the necessity of having the HQ there because they needed to be close to DC to do their thing. Sure the lobbyists need to be there, but accountants, marketing people, etc don't.

My Thing 2 just reminded me, was the last time we went to see what was new in the museum was the security guard and the gift shop clerk couldn't speak English.
    We walked out of the gift shop.
    And the second floor that was featuring a huge Turnbull Restoration display was closed on a sat afternoon.
    My letter from then say, a 38 year Life Member got zero response..

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Point taken. The marketing/PR stuff was long outsourced to the Oklahoma City company Colion Noir's buddy's dad runs, so I wonder what really is left in VA. Maybe it's just a museum, range, and Wayne's suit closet :pimp:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Point taken. The marketing/PR stuff was long outsourced to the Oklahoma City company Colion Noir's buddy's dad runs, so I wonder what really is left in VA. Maybe it's just a museum, range, and Wayne's suit closet :pimp:
    I can't speak to the range, but the museum is nice. They don't take up the whole building some of the space is subleased.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hard to say. I saw an open accounting positionin VA. I couldn't find a count of their 614 employees there though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just when you thought he wasnt smarmy enough. Between this revelation and his golden parachute, he deserves to be tarred and feathered on the way out.

And as others have noted regarding the lawsuit, why is the NRA forced to defend him and themselves when the org itself was also a victim of his corruption and greed?

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just when you thought he wasnt smarmy enough. Between this revelation and his golden parachute, he deserves to be tarred and feathered on the way out.

And as others have noted regarding the lawsuit, why is the NRA forced to defend him and themselves when the org itself was also a victim of his corruption and greed?
    For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light.
    Kinda wonder if the board might get some of that cash knowing what we are finding out.

E.g. Board votes him a $12m parachute and in return WLP gifts them $50k each.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I will preface this by saying that I have no idea whether WLP is a good guy or a bad guy. However, the emotions on display remind me of what happens when there is a schism within a movement. One side sees Billy Graham, the other Elmer Gantry. Big Brother/Emmanuel Goldstein. Either you support the leadership or you are an apostate. Either oppose the leadership or you are a boot-licker.

Bottom line is that if the leadership of the NRA wants to retain/regain the trust of the membership, they need to be transparent about finances and clearly define compensation levels in the leadership. That does not seem too much to ask, does it?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And we wonder why we can’t get good talented people in critical positions. What should the head of a $400 million dollar enterprise be paid?
    Should the head of an advocacy organization be dedicated to the cause or dedicated to the dollars he could make? If he wants to make money, go into the private sector and put his 'lobbying skills' up for auction. If he is as good as you think he is, you would think someone would snap him up
    How much does a Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Non-Profit Organization make in the United States? The average Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Non-Profit Organization salary in the United States is $186,967 as of December 27, 2023, but the salary range typically falls between $141,284 and $240,894. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.
    So, in answer to your question, between 1/21 and 1/35 of what he was paying himself

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom